Locker for d30

• Just orderd 410 gears, install kits, sye and control arms from Bob Supplee. He mentioned on the phone that if i put those gears in i would need new carriers since i only have 307s now. I have a detroit for the rear so thats not a problem,but i was going to just install the gears and detroit with no locker in the front. Since i now need a new carrier for the front, i was thinking of doing everything in one shot. I was gonna do a lockright but thats out too cause of the carrier change. Anyone have any comments on the ARBs or OX lockers? And where can i get them at a cheap price?
    thanks
    Ed :shrug:

2000 Sahara, All custom...
    2000 Cherokee Police package, Beater....

I may be slowest and the stupidest

• Quote from "2000sahara"

Just orderd 410 gears, install kits, sye and control arms from Bob Supplee. He mentioned on the phone that if i put those gears in i would need new carriers since i only have 307s now. I have a detroit for the rear so thats not a problem,but i was going to just install the gears and detroit with no locker in the front. Since i now need a new carrier for the front, i was thinking of doing everything in one shot. I was gonna do a lockright but thats out too cause of the carrier change. Anyone have any comments on the ARBs or OX lockers? And where can i get them at a cheap price?
    thanks
    Ed :shrug:

Why only 4.10's ?

There's nowhere to get an ARB "cheap". ARB's are well proven.

Ox lockers have a few supporters, but many more dissatisfied customers.

I'd try to find a used carrier for the 30 and go with the LockRight.

If moneys no object then the ARB wins.

• I am installing a loc right in my front Scout Dana 44. If you want to be able to turn, and can't afford an ARB it's a good choice. You caould also buy a carrier and use a lunch box locker. But since you will have your gears out anyway, go Tru Track.

Steve

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• Check ebay from time to time. Every once in a while you'll see a D30 ARB go for $500. Btw, I love my ARB, no complaints here. :up:

• Ed, I saw an ARB on ebay the other day for a dana 30 but it was still pretty expensive. I think it was around 500. If you need an open carrier call up Performance offroad center or http://www.porc.com. I got a used carrier for my dana 30 for around $50. Now I just need the gears to go with it.

If not ARB, what about an Aussie Locker. I have heard pretty good things about them. If not, I would go with a lockrite. That is what I will probably go with when I have some more money.

-Chris

• Paid Deja Members get a discount on part from Me, it was posted under a services topic in the old forum. I can get arb, ox, detroit, whatever you want. email me if you are interested.

I too, am with stupid<br />87XJ&nbsp;(gone), 97 ZJ W 31&quot; MT&#039;s (gone), 04 TJ W 3&quot; procomp springs/ 33&quot; BFG&nbsp; MT&#039;S (gone)<br />87 YJ- SOA - 39.5 Swampers-111&quot; wheel base, 4 link front, Atlas, 14 bolt, Dana 60 and stuff

• Well i was gonna do a lockright but if i have to pay for a new carrier i may as well shell out the rest of the money and get an ARB right? Also im not too keen on the locker in front and rear all the time. Im just thinking if im gonna spend 100 on a carrier and 300 on a lockrite, why not shell out another 3 and go for the ARB and be able to turn it on and off. Already have oba to operate it. lockright is just a lunch box locker right? I would still need a carrier? Also whats the deal with an aussie? Who has them? How much etc.?
    Also i went with the 410s because i have an automatic. If you do the math, at 65 mph im will be turning 2600 rpm. Anything more would be rediculous. With 456s i would be close to 3000. Not good for a daily driver.
    Thanks for all the info guys
    Ed

• randys ring and pinion is my supplier, so what they carry i can get. email me if you need anything.

I too, am with stupid<br />87XJ&nbsp;(gone), 97 ZJ W 31&quot; MT&#039;s (gone), 04 TJ W 3&quot; procomp springs/ 33&quot; BFG&nbsp; MT&#039;S (gone)<br />87 YJ- SOA - 39.5 Swampers-111&quot; wheel base, 4 link front, Atlas, 14 bolt, Dana 60 and stuff

• In the past I have read people having problems with ARBs when running 35" tires. I'm not sure if it is a problem with the way they are setting them up or what. But it might be worth researching.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• i love my arb! for what it's worth....
    i was having issues getting the arb compressor to power up once everything was installed. i thought the relay was bad - but i had dropped it accidentally during my install so it would've been my fault. drj (hooking me up with his connections once again!) contacted arb of washington and explained them of the issue i was having. the guy there put him on hold and then came back and informed him that he had a new relay AND the pressure switch sitting there and would ship it out free of charge. that's what i call customer service! once i replaced the relay things were working fine.

aaron installed my gears and both of the lockers for me. the arb in the front seems to be flawless so far. it has engaged every time that i've asked it to and i'd even say that it required no forward or reverse movement for engagement or disengagement. i can have it engaged and the compressor will go over a half hour without cycling - that tells me that there's a pretty darn good seal inside the pinion (not to mention the fittings atop the pinion and into the solenoid on the compressor). i'm running larger than 35" tires (at the moment :suspicious: ) and it hasn't caused any issues. granted, i've only had it operation on the trail for two or three outings. but like i said, this is just my experiences.
    chris

p.s. bob supplee matched any other price i could find on the arb - with shipping included of course!

• Quote from "2000sahara"

Also i went with the 410s because i have an automatic. If you do the math, at 65 mph im will be turning 2600 rpm. Anything more would be rediculous. With 456s i would be close to 3000. Not good for a daily driver.

I didn't realize you didn't have overdrive. Bummer.

• Yeah i think im gonna go with the ARB eventually. I just have to save a little more money. I think im just going to get it at quadratech and see if they will price match other places, only for the fact that i have a 100 dollar gift certificate that i have to use. So if i can knock them down to 650 then use the gift cert, i should be in decent shape. Thanks for all the input guys cant wait to be with the big boys.

Oh yeah i ordered stuff from bob on tuesday and got it today. Hes the man. Still didnt get the sye and driveshaft cause he had to get that from somewhere else.

• Q-tec will price match but I believe it has to be in a current catalog or advertisment. Atleast that is what I was told when I bought the wifes lift kit.

ps on a side note I just sold my old Truetrac for $200 on Ebay

• Thanks for the info Tom. I thought i remember Andrew saying that they priced matched a web site once. Think it may have been his winch. Not sure Sweet deal on the true trac though.
    Ed

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!