which fog lights?

• I use the sylvannia bulbs in my jeep and have the piaa 520 ion crystal. they work great for my needs it is a half time daily driver

• I'll tell you the cheapest, most redneck thing I've ever done for good driving lights. I bought a set of those Baja brand crap-a-riffic lights at Wal-Mart for $25 and just put 150 watt bulbs in them. They come with 55w and you'll also need a relay, but it's pretty simple to do and the put out a ton of light. You can also use 100 or 130 watt bulbs if you're worried about heat. I wasn't. I should have been. I had an F-150 with Dick Cepeks mounted on a roof bar. I put the Bajas on the ends of the bar and angled them out a little and down. Made excellent side lights for driving around at night in the woods.

• I'm sure it had something to do with where they're mounted. Above bumper, but below headlight / above headlights on a bar / below bumper / any of those locations without covers on them while driving on road. Depends on how the cop feels that day I guess. A buddy of mine has a set of Hellas mounted on a hoop slightly higher than his headlights and he's never had any problems yet he's never covered them. My KCs are mounted on a hoop slightly below the headlights and I never use the covers even though I'm supposed to.

• Since we're talking about fog lights vs. driving lights, does anyone know someone running those KC replacement fog lights that clip into the stock jeep wiring harness for the factory fog lights? Are they an improvement over stock or just a replacement for damaged stock lights?

Any Quadratec guys hear any feedback?

• ok so i think that i have narrowed it down to 3 lights.......no i would like some opinions :::

option 1 - Hella 500 fog lights 55watt bulbs $79.99 Qtec# 97006.02

option 2 - KC slim lite fog series 100watt bulbs $139.99 Qtec#97048.22

option 3 - KC Daylighter 150watt bulbs $104.99 Qtec# 97026.92

• Go with the cheapest. Chances are you won't use them much and they will be fine. I wouldn't even have extra lights if I didn't get them for free. Hook them up through a relay so they will go off when you put the high beams on (which I think is the legal way of hooking them up).

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• John i drive a lot of back roads with lots of deer an do a lot of night driving..... when i had my exploder, i had 4 daylighters on top and used them just about every night.

• I'd probably go with the Slimlights then because they aren't as bulky as some of the others.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• yeah, good lights are a great help on the backroads in his area... especially if you're running a beam pattern wide enough to show the deer waiting in the trees to ambush you. my lights saved my Jeep a week or so ago.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• does anyone run the piaa 1400 lights? (the little ones?)

*bLaTaNt DiSrEgarD oFfRoAd*<br /><br />&quot;Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. <br />One died for your soul; the other for your freedom.&quot;

• I actually use my PIAA 520 Fogs alot! I use them as high beams. Also after 7 years my relay failed, PIAA is sending me a new wiring harness. They have killer customer service. As far as performance, Mine are 85 Watt H3 with the Crystal ION lens, very strong light. One night I was on the beach at Cape Henlopen, and you could really see the range and power. I dont think you can really compare them to cheap lights.

Steve

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• yeah, good lights are a great help on the backroads in his area... especially if you're running a beam pattern wide enough to show the deer waiting in the trees to ambush you. my lights saved my Jeep a week or so ago.

Your Jeeps COLOR should save you from the ambushing deer! :laughing:

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• hehe you'd think. :) but one ran out in front of me 2 weeks ago. luckily I had slowed down because there was snow on the road and didn't want to slide at a turn, or I'd have hit it.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• does anyone run the piaa 1400 lights? (the little ones?)

I had a buddy that ran them on his pickup. They'd look a little goofy on a Jeep, but those things put out a ton of light for such a small housing. When driving backroads, he'd turn them on and they would light up everything in that amber glow. They lit up everything the headlights didn't. So you had an area of white light directly in front of you and everything else was amber. You couldn't use them on the street because they blind everything coming your way.

• i need something small for under the bar on my arb front bumber

*bLaTaNt DiSrEgarD oFfRoAd*<br /><br />&quot;Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. <br />One died for your soul; the other for your freedom.&quot;

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!