Painted my fenders black! Pics

• So today I went to pick up a soft top off Herb from the forums. Real cool guy by the way! He didnt mean it in a rude way, but gave me a tip on making my fenders look darker. I guess I took it to the next step, I painted all my fenders today. Here are some pics.

Before I painted them, I sanded them with a 320 Fine and a fine sanding block:

After I painted it:

I took 2 of the fenders off and than realized it would be easier to just tape and newspaper it up:

Some other pics (some not to good bc it got dark and all I had was garage lights):

• yeah i did mine not too long ago. need to be done again (thanks ed).

simple slow process.. but i got some overspray on my paint somehow. regardless, congrats.. now get those GSA's off of there!!

and did the bumpers as well..

1997 TJ 4 banger 5 speed, 4.88's, detroit tru track in the front d30, RE 3.5,OME shocks, JKS 1.25" BL, 33" BFG A/T's, Llama bumpers tire carrier, Hi lift

• What type of paint did you use? I've had good luck with the bumper and trim paint sold at Pep Boys. I forget what the name was. I used it on my stock flares when I ran stock flares.

On my Bushwhacker flares I've been using a trim spray made by Stoner. It works pretty well and holds up, although you do have to recoat it every 2 to 3 months.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• I have had the fusion paint on my jeep for about a year now . Has held up well .

85 cj7 4" suspension 1" body lift on 33X13.50 swampers , Ford 9" / arb , t18 trans , dana 300 t case , and a efi 5.0 from a 93 gt . ( soon to have dana 44 and arb in the front )

• I painted my stock flares back to black with fusion. whoever had them before me had them painted silver. :doh: Fusion is good paint. :wavey:

You do own a hairdryer don&#039;t you she asked? Of course I do, he replied, it&#039;s in the driveway, it&#039;s called a Jeep.<br /><br />Current - 97 TJ, 99 WJ, 12 Scion tC<br />Past - 94 ZJ, 02 TJ, 06 Rubicon, 06 XK, 07 Scion tC

• I think I'm going to have my bushwackers lynex'ed (or how ever you spell it)

I second that.

You do own a hairdryer don&#039;t you she asked? Of course I do, he replied, it&#039;s in the driveway, it&#039;s called a Jeep.<br /><br />Current - 97 TJ, 99 WJ, 12 Scion tC<br />Past - 94 ZJ, 02 TJ, 06 Rubicon, 06 XK, 07 Scion tC

• Cant. Wont stick to plastic. I asked them about fender flares after I had them Line-X my fenders.

98 TJ 5.9L, RE 4.5 SF, 35s, 4XDoctor Rocker Guards, AA SYE, Tom Woods DS
    2012 JKU 3" lift 35s

• there is a type of rattle can paint that looks like linex....i think they sell it at walmart...ive never used it except to do some light fixtures in my house

It's A Jeep Thing...You Wouldn't Understand
    *bLaTaNt DiSrEgarD oFfRoAd*

• Just lettin you guys know what they told me. They said it would peel off.

I am assuming its cause Heculiner is "painted" on Line-X is sprayed on hot.

98 TJ 5.9L, RE 4.5 SF, 35s, 4XDoctor Rocker Guards, AA SYE, Tom Woods DS
    2012 JKU 3" lift 35s

• line - x wont? Herciliner does so i dont see why line x wont?

Adhesion is entirely dependant on the two materials used (in this case the plastic flare and the paint used). Herculiner and Line-x are probably totally different chemical systems which may explain why one will work and the other won't. It will also depend on what type of plastic the flare is made from. I think most are made from an ABS type. I know with polypropylene you have to oxidize the surface to get paint adhesion. That can be done with a normal torch or flame. Of course it will STILL probably not hold up well to scrapping on a tree or rock.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

Edited once, last by Slimer ().

• Call Jeff Daniel's Jeeps in PA. I forget what it is they use, but it's a spray on that supposedly doesn't come out hot. They told me they can spray just about anything.

http://jeffdanielsjeeps.com/

So we decided to mix a custom paint color with some of our PROTEX bed liner and spray the enitre exterior of the Jeep encasing it in its own protective shell. Since the Protex has a slightly rubbery compound it dries hard as a rock but is still very pliable against bashing and tree banging obstacles with out worrying about it cracking. It is also tintable so color matching is never an issue.

Not sure if it's the same thing they use to do flares though.

• Cant. Wont stick to plastic. I asked them about fender flares after I had them Line-X my fenders.

Don't know who told you that but I've seen several sets of Line-X'd flares that've been dragged across rocks and trees and haven't peeled....I talked to both the Oxford and Newark shops awhile back and both were willing to do flares (IIRC Oxford wanted like $70 if you brought them just the flare) I'm planning on having my crusher corners and rockers done eventually. FWIW if paint will stick to them and not peel so will Line-X... :shrug:

--Ian

• Oxford will definately do them. He quoted me about $35 each if I brought them in. :doh:

When I asked Auto truck outfitters about it, they told me that they would spray them but not warranty them because they were'nt sure how well it would stick. :shrug:

Former V.P. (2006-2007)
    V.P. of Jeeps for Joy (2004-2010)
    President of Jeeps for Joy (2010-2012)
    Beater Build Winning Driver (2009)

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!