Mudding Maintenance & RTI Ramp - This saturday April 7'th

• *** WEATHER UPDATE ***

It's not snowing, so we are doing vehicle work!

We are still going to be having the RTI ramp at Steve's (Copesetic),
    and will be showing off the videos from last weekend's mudding trip.

We'll probably do some pizza's too.

*** WEATHER UPDATE ***

Since a couple of us still need to flush out diff fluid and fix various other problems, we're having a mini wrenchfest at Copesetic's on saturday morning. He lives in New Castle, right near Penmart shopping center. I'll be bringing the RTI ramp up too for anyone who wants to play on it.

I also have the mudding DVD done! I can tell you this, it is badass, and puts the youtube stuff to shame, so much so I haven't even posted any other youtube vids. Roughly 20 minutes of non-stop high quality video of mudding, plus another 5-10 minutes of blooper nonsense at the end. Anyone who wants a copy can pick em up saturday.

PM Me for directions & info

• so far I got possible 6 jeeps

Zeke - oil change etc
    Pat
    clendaniel
    Whatevah?? jerry you doing your motor mounts?
    Copesetic - Carpet cut or out.... , rear diff cover swap and passangers power seat fix.
    y2kyellowtj - just here to help you rock!
    Slick - "Doing the diffs"

going to be a fun day tomorrow.

• RTI ramp is a ramp that you can see how well your jeep flexes... theres a way to score it.... if your about to make a change like a lift or something you might want to see how well you improve your flex. here are pics of the last RTI ramp day...

http://www.traildamage.net/Coppermine/thumbnails.php?album=6

http://www.4lo.com/calc/rticalc.htm
    Ramp Travel Index is based on climbing a 20 degree ramp with one tire while keeping the trailing tire in line. At the point where any tire begins to lift into the air is where it's calculated. Measure from the bottom of the ramp to the center of the bottom of the tire (use a plumb from the hub to find center). This distance traveled in inches is divided by the wheelbase in inches and multiplied by 1000. What this gives you is a percentage of travel up the ramp in relation to your wheelbase. Basically if your wheelbase is 100 inches, and you travel 75 inches your RTI will be 750 (75% or .75 X 1000).

Since this is based on math we can use a formula to estimate your RTI. The trick is to get one tire off the ground while the other three remain touching the ground. Then measure from the bottom of the lifted tire to ground. I've seen forklifts being used, climbing up a steep rock face, even climbing stairs. I suppose you could climb different things and use the calculator to find the RTIs. Then take the average of all. In any event, if you're curious I've provided a calculator that will get you an idea of your RTI. Anything above a 500 is great, there are a few rigs out there that can do perfect 1000's or better. How will you do?

Formula used

RTI = Tire Height/sin(20*PI/180)/Wheelbase*1000
    Inches Traveled = Tire Height/sin(20*PI/180)

• tom im pretty sure ill be able to make it.. pm directions and time please? id like to do the diffs

1997 TJ 4 banger 5 speed, 4.88's, detroit tru track in the front d30, RE 3.5,OME shocks, JKS 1.25" BL, 33" BFG A/T's, Llama bumpers tire carrier, Hi lift

• PM's sent.

I have a coworker with a 5.5" lifted wrangler (DD) who will probably be stopping by also. Soon-to-be DeJA member possibly.

• Cant make it this weekend but will the ramp be any where else. As I would like to get a baseline on my Jeep.

• Cant make it this weekend but will the ramp be any where else. As I would like to get a baseline on my Jeep.

The RTI ramp is at my house in Newark. If you want to stop by and use it, just let me know ahead of time.

• I know that green Jeep. :innocent:

RTI ramps are a good way of testing the flex after doing modifications. Not only do you see how flexy your suspension is but you can also see if anything is going to get hung up or hit something else when flexed. I don't get too hung up on the index measurement because I'm always more interested in the height a tire can be lifted without the others leaving the ground.

It also takes the edge off when you go long periods of time without going on a trail ride. :doh: Like me. ;(

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

Edited once, last by Slimer ().

• oy....

Saturday
    Mostly cloudy. Snow in the morning...then a chance of rain and snow in the afternoon. Total snow accumulation 1 to 3 inches. Windy with highs in the lower 40s. Northwest winds 20 to 30 mph. Chance of snow 90 percent.

I need to build a garage or something... well, or clean out the garage I do have. :D

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• Weather isn't that bad so we are working on jeeps. About to start taking out Copesetic's rear sway bar, and doing Jerry's motor mounts.

• a lot of flurries fell, but it stopped before anything accumulated.

we got Copesetics rear sway bar out, carpet out, rust "drain" holes discovered and rear diff cover changed... and after several loooong cold hours, got my motor mounts swapped for Daystar mounts.

*sigh* the vibes are worse now! Ian thinks that if I replace the fan clutch, it should remove most of the vibes, as it shakes around a good deal and corresponds directly to the ammount of vibes I'm getting. so, it seems that my factory mounts were actually doing a good job by masking some of the vibes.

A couple guys played on the ramp... yellowy2ktj, vbquick1 and clendaniel. Zeke left with the ramp before Copesetics XJ and my XJ were finished. :)

Zeke had the video footage from last weekend playing on DVD inside and I brought a few printed photos to show, as well. video looked good! :)

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• Yo Sean I would like to see the cruiser on the ramp see how that works. You think your boss would mind I don't. lol...

• our ramp is a 30 deg ramps so your calculations on thjat will be way wrong. all you do is measure from the gound up the edge of the ramp to the center line of the tire . like if you took a rope with a but tied to it and dangeled it fron the center of the hub then divide that by your wheel base.

so say you travel 80 in up a 30 deg ramp with a 94 in wheel base that means your score would be a 851. 94 in would be a 1000

• co worker didnt disco? looks weird not stuffin em in the fenders :rollsmile:

1997 TJ 4 banger 5 speed, 4.88's, detroit tru track in the front d30, RE 3.5,OME shocks, JKS 1.25" BL, 33" BFG A/T's, Llama bumpers tire carrier, Hi lift

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!