TB spacer...worth it?

• Anyone with a TJ (or newer Jeep) that has put a TB spacer on and seen any real difference? I'd like to hear about the newer engines...

• from what i hear/ read, its not worth the 70 bucks for the spacer.

1997 TJ 4 banger 5 speed, 4.88's, detroit tru track in the front d30, RE 3.5,OME shocks, JKS 1.25" BL, 33" BFG A/T's, Llama bumpers tire carrier, Hi lift

• Chrysler spent alot of time and money designing the intakes on the HO, so that they create a very slight boost effect in the manifold at or near peak horsepower, any changes to the cross sectional area or the length of the runners to the throttlebody would throw the rpm that the manifold is designed to do this way too high. lengthening the intake plenum, as far as I know is something you do when you want to increase the upper end power, since the intake is already optimized from the factory interfear with the way it was designed to work. I do know people that say they did notice a difference, but they were also installing other upgrades like exhaust, headers, and cold air intakes.

• There will always be some debate on whether throttle body spacers really work. The concept behind them is that they give more available air under the butterfly valve that is then readily available to be pulled into the combustion chamber. On a carbureted vehicle, they are a viable way to make more power by increasing the time the fuel and air have to mix since they mix directly after the throttle body. In fuel injected vehicles the fuel is injected just above the valve and so i'd figure there is little if any beneficial gain to spending $70 on a spacer. If you do spend money, spend it on the actual intake setup, rather than the intake manifold area. Getting the air in the throttle body faster by putting a more free flowing intake system on will benefit an EFI setup more. The factory designed the manifolds perfectly for what the engine is to be running at stock. There is so much Research and Development time in these parts, they are made to work at peak efficiency already. Try a new intake and exhaust before anything else.

1999 Grand Cherokee WJ 3" lift JK Moabs 31" tire
    1993 Grand Cherokee 7" Long Arm, Badgeless, SOLD
    1981 CJ-7 4" Lift, 31" MTR's, Pretty Blue

• A new CAI was the first mod. I just saw a JK tb spacer on ebay by the same manufacturer (AIRRAID), and wondered.

• If you pay me $70.00 I will drive around with you for 2 hours and blow a whistle everytime you accelerate......You will see the same horsepower gains as the TB spacer... only my whistling will stop after 2 hrs.... not until you remove the useless $70.00 piece of aluminum

Intakes and all that add on crap are absolutely worthless on a jeep.... I am still offering $100.00 to someone who can actually show me with dyno sheets of the same vehicle before and after the intake mods that show actual gains in useful RPM range on a jeep....

-TURTLE

I too, am with stupid<br />87XJ&nbsp;(gone), 97 ZJ W 31&quot; MT&#039;s (gone), 04 TJ W 3&quot; procomp springs/ 33&quot; BFG&nbsp; MT&#039;S (gone)<br />87 YJ- SOA - 39.5 Swampers-111&quot; wheel base, 4 link front, Atlas, 14 bolt, Dana 60 and stuff

• I remember your offer from before, but lost track of the thread because I wasn't interested anyway... thanks for the update.

Thanks!!

• wish i could find that thread of the giant turbo muffler on the xj...
    I think that would be a better mod...
    all it takes is a 5 lb can of sanka...
    :driving:

• Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• yea deff not worth it, i bolted one onto my yj and actually lost power, cldnt chirp my tires easily, took it off cld chirp them no problem. and didnt notice anyt true power gains, go with header cai cat back more diffrences and factual improvment

• If I were you i'd start with the colad air intake, which you have, exhaust, then a header and if your looking for low end a 2.25" exhaust from front to back, if you want more upper end horsepower a 2.5" system, the 2.5" would probably be better for 4.0Ls, then if you still wanted more buy or have your throttlebody ported 60 or 62mm or whatever there doing them to now, if you get your factory TB bored out make the person knows what there doing, if they don't it will probably whistle alot, and a chip/tuner of some kind, appart from power adders like NOS and turrbos thats all the power your going to get with out taking apart the engine. the V6s have no tourqe at all, so i would imagine what little power it does have is around 4K and above .

• I start my next Hotrod class next week and in that class we are allowed to modify vehicles with anything we can pretty much think of. Maybe i'll think about doing a few stupid mods like throttle body spacers and intakes. That way i can actually give you some true dyno charts to compare to. All that because we have 2 fully working vehicle dynos at my school and one engine dyno. This should be fun.

1999 Grand Cherokee WJ 3" lift JK Moabs 31" tire
    1993 Grand Cherokee 7" Long Arm, Badgeless, SOLD
    1981 CJ-7 4" Lift, 31" MTR's, Pretty Blue

• I'm interested in the mods to the JK. Stupid question #1: What is a CAI?

Honestly, the last engine I tore down was a 283 in my '66 Chevy. I went and perched on the side of my jeep last night after I read this thread, looking at the engine (And thinking I haven't seen that much room to move under a hood in a long time - remember when you could sit IN the engine compartment?). I like to toy with engines as much as the next girl ;D, and I'm curious what you're thinking could be improved? (Is that stupid question #2?).

The only thing I've noticed about mine is it squeaks when I shift.....

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!