Driving w/o doors, legal or not?

• Turtle is right about PA. BUUUUUUUUUUUTTTT with that being said. Your more likely in PA to get a ticket for your tires sticking out beyond your flares then one for no doors. I got pulled over for drifting through a stop sign while not having my doors on and the only the thing the cop said was that my tires were too big. He never did give me a ticket but he did tell me to get larger flares or smaller tires. (None of which I did) :laughing: :laughing:

When you drive a jeep like mine or most of ours, you take your chances of being ticketed each time you drive. It's the joy of modifying a vehicle :suspicious:

Former V.P. (2006-2007)
    V.P. of Jeeps for Joy (2004-2010)
    President of Jeeps for Joy (2010-2012)
    Beater Build Winning Driver (2009)

• ok here it is.... just do it!!! even IF you happen to get pulled over, its not a moving violation, therefore no points... pay the damn fine and chock it up to loving your jeep! :driving:

• dude ive been pulled over with no mirrors no doors in my old tj and all i got was a speeding ticket

dont be an asshole to a trooper and they probably wont even say anything

• Neither did I, thanks for giving it a second look. I probably sound paranoid, but you know how it is down here in Sussex Co. A lot of small towns and small town cops, just want to have my bases covered.

lived in sussex county for the last 20 + years
    grew up in milton for about 15 years
    have owned five jeeps
    two being tj's
    not once have i gotten a ticket
    just today after the surf ...
    no doors no top and passed several cops without a second look
    flutterby quoted the law

[off topic ] is ur jeep black ?[ / back on topic ]

• I've driven my TJs in DE for two years now. Every summer the doors are off. Like an a$$hat, I even rest my leg on the door hinge (hanging the left foot out), past the DST in Dover, Camden area (troop 3 or 9???) and roving patrols. Not saying it's right, wrong, or indifferent, but never any sirens. It's only illegal if you get caught, and they don't seem to care. Asfor the PA stuff, good lookin' out Turtle, I've been doing the same here whenever I can during my stay in PA, I'll beon the lookout a little more cautious now.

• Thanks guys, after all of that anecdotal evidence and flutterby's quoting of the mirror law I do feel better. And yes surfrider, my jeep is black, perhaps you have seen me around. I will be getting my first surf fishing plate soon. If you are experienced, perhaps I could shadow you a few times to learn the ropes. I have never fished in saltwater before.

• There are some states that have a law on the doors of jeeps and other like vehicles, be ON. The fact is that most of the police that work in these states do NOT know that particular law or regulation. Even when it IS known, its not a high priority or LOOKED for with them. If you have your rear view and side mirror(s) on and your not turfing up the county buildings front lawn, chances are very high that you will be overlooked. However, if you are being a total idiot or you get popped for doing 80 thru a school zone, chances are very high that he will find everything wrong with your jeep, including the doors. Get the picture?

• Just don't drive into ocean city MD if you have your doors off and no mirrors. I got a ticket there in my TJ for not having mirrors. It was some young guy trying to play super cop. My girlfriend thought it was funny so the 2 of us were laughing the whole time he was giving me the ticket he wasn't too happy.

• Anyone have any experience going through the Kent Coounty DMV lanes toplles/doorless? I know there's a guy there that can be a total prick and has even failed vehicles for issues that are not in any rule book; seems like he just dislikes some people based on who knows what. He failed Mistaken for his PSC roll cage.

• I went through inspection with the top down and half door off (didn't even bring them with me b/c the slider windows are tinted) and had no problems at all....just a joke about rolling down the window.

that was at the DMV in dover

• Anyone have any experience going through the Kent Coounty DMV lanes toplles/doorless? I know there's a guy there that can be a total prick and has even failed vehicles for issues that are not in any rule book; seems like he just dislikes some people based on who knows what. He failed Mistaken for his PSC roll cage.

New Castle County tends to be more strict than Kent (although that may not be so anymore with the southern population boom). I go through New Castles DMV all the time with no top or doors. Once I didn't have my windsheild dogged down to the dash and when I did the brake test the windsheild slammed down on the hood. Scared the crap out of me and the inspectors.

They let me pass though.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

Edited once, last by Slimer ().

• Not to get off topic, but I tried to go through with my truck with no tailgate one time, the inspector sees me while coming back from his break and walks up to the me and says, "Just what in the hell do you think you're doing? You can't pass inspection like that." He tells me to get out of line and go over to the main building to get a temp tag until I put my tailgate on and came back. When I went to the main building, they told me I couldn't get a temp tag without the printout slip from the inspection lane showing exactly why I failed. When I told them what happened, they didn't believe me. Then they called over there and the dumb SOB told them what he had done. Next thing I know, there's two supervisors calling me in the back to apologize for the way he talked to me and they personally oversaw me getting my temp tag without me going through the inspection lane. The guy still works there though....merit system. He even remebered me years later when I took another car through...scary what he could find to be a @#$#-stick about when I bring the CJ through next month.

• I've gotten so many responses, stories, so much advice and help, thanks to all. I might be new here, but I can tell already that this is going to be a great organization to be a part of. Thanks folks.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!