rubicon towing capacity....

• Here is a question I think i already know the answer to BUT i'll ask anyway...... I read on the jeep website that the rubicon has a 2000 lb towing capacity.... if this is true it SHOULD be able to tow a dual axle car hauler with my blazer on it...... now I realize that jeeps aint great at towing a large trailer but i was thinkin about loading my jeep on the trailer and towing it with the blazer.. and if the blazer breaks , then tow blazer with the jeep as a last resort...

Im just looking for a reason to take both... but im sure the wife will shoot this down and say just pull the blazer with the truck....
    which is what will probably happen anyways since the truck is a 3/4 ton....

but the question is .. would the rubicon pull that load?

• 2000lbs, its not so much the capability of towing that much weight its the problem stopping it, take that stuff for a drive and try to do an emergency stop, you'll see :doh:

• Yeah, according to Chrysler (ref. the owner's manual) the TJ series tows 2000 lbs. whereas the Unlimiteds (04 1/2 to 06) do 3500 lbs.

• 2000 lbs.... the blazer weighs more than that??

the biggest problem with the tow rating isn't due to strength/power...its the weight to wheelbase ratio.. ive seen a guy with a wrangler pull a 19 foot boat out of a lake and it looked like a tractor pull (front tires in the air)......ok..i admit...it was me. i got it out..but i wouldnt say it is one of the better moments in my life.

last resort i would flat tow the blazer with the jeep, then go back for the trailer.

• the towing weight is the total you're pulling, not just the weight of the trailer... so a blazer will be more than twice the tow rating of your Rubicon.

While yes, the Rubicon has the power to pull that much weight and more (pulling a stuck truck from a mud pit...), it cannot do it safely or efficiently in a towing setup. the tow rig needs to outweigh the cargo for a short wheelbase setup like this, especially without braking assist from the trailer. you'd be all over the road.

take the truck, it'll be a much better ride. :up:

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• 2000 lbs.... the blazer weighs more than that??

Exactly!!! You will probably have a trailer GVW of about 6000-7000 lbs. How could you "PROBABLY" tow this with a Wrangler?

IMHO, listen to everything said above and try to avoid that situation. :down: :down: :down:

• Err...most of your car trailers weigh over half that rating alone. A quick search shows a stock k5 blazer at a hair under 4500 pounds...with a heavier wheel/tire combo, gas, and gear you're looking at 5K or more. I'd say your trailer'd be grossing in the 6500-ish range...WAY more than a wrangler can tow. Hell, I question towing with 1/2 tons...

--Ian

• The unmeantioned thing to take into consideration is wheel base. I guarantee the first turn you hit you'll be jack knifed or fighting to keep the back end of the Jeep from kicking out.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Please don't do it. You'll regret it later. :doh:

Former V.P. (2006-2007)
    V.P. of Jeeps for Joy (2004-2010)
    President of Jeeps for Joy (2010-2012)
    Beater Build Winning Driver (2009)

• So you need to tow a blazer from point A to point B?

Call this guy Kevin @ East Cost Towing 302-388-9949

He towed my Wrangler from NitroRubi's house in Dover to my mechanic in Newark and charged me $125. All the other tow companies I called wanted $175-$225.

I owed a Dodge Dakota and Dodge RAM 1500 Hemi in the past and towed some big loads. The last thing you want to do is try to tow a heavy load behind a Jeep. You'll end up breaking something or hurting someone.

• i say go for it. just stay on back roads and take pictures. :tup:

hahaha Just the answer I was lookin for!! :laughabove: :laughabove:

I wouldn't do it... I got an 03 avalanche 3/4ton im gonna drag it up there with.... That question crossed my mind and the want take take em both is what spurred it (brain fart).... Even though Iv'e towed many of trailers. I figured that would be one HELL of a pull... even launchin my jet ski's with the rubi is about like doing it with my 4-wheeler... :rolleyes:

"bmf24" had the response i was huntin!! hahahaha ;D

So you need to tow a blazer from point A to point B?

thanks for the towing advice.. BUT blazer is too big and slow for a 3 hour drive on the highway... which is why im gonna trailer it..

I look forward to seeing yall out there!!!! its gonna be my first time... I put on some new mud shoes.. brand new 38X13 Super Swamper/ TSL's for this trip.... so if any of yall see the big green machine just wave me down :wavey: ... I wanna try them mud holes :up: :up:

If ANYBODY needs big mud shoes go to GILBERTS TIRE in Milford... thats the ONLY place i could find em... especially for a good price

• on my way home from work today (3:30 ish) i passed a red avalanche towing a primer grey K-5....looks like he made the right choice (or has a twin) it was on RTE 41 just before RTE 10 in cochranville

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!