Rausch Creek 10-23/24 Trail Report

• Well....this trip proved to be as exciting, if not more, than other RC trips. In attendence we had Andrew (BlueJ), Ian (Clendaniel), Abbey and Paul (prm99v6), Greg (Jeepers), Dave (MellowYellow), Tom (Orange Crush), Nikki (NikkiYJ), Donnie (DCC), and myself with passenger Dave (DaveH).

Saturday we split into two groups with Andrew leading Tom in his "throw-away CJ" and Abbey and Paul in Abbey's '04 TJ. Everyone else ran in my group. We started out on Trail 4 which has two deep tank traps and a challenging Black bypass. I believe everyone made it through this without a hitch on one or both days. From there we headed to Trail 2 which was full of watery tank traps and steep inclines. Greg and Ian showed everyone how it was done when it came to the deep tank traps. Greg managed to claim the new "Greg's Mud Hole". It only seemed to be about 3' deep but the bottom was soft and mucky. The water was pretty much up to the shifter in his jeep. (See pictures). Once we recovered Greg's jeep we headed up to Crawler Ridge to meet up with Andrew and the group for some lunch. After lunch we headed over to the West Side to try out trail 10 as one group. The map said it was a blue for the deep muddy ruts. They weren't kidding. These ruts swallowed anything on 33s and below. We made it through 10A and onto 10B where I managed to cover the entire Jeep (inside and out) with mud and get really stuck. Andrew was just dieing to try out his winch so he yanked me out of the way and made his way up to yank the rest of the group. Dave was next and gave it about 5 tries before the mud got the best of him. Andrew proceeded to winch up the rest of the group. We hit 10C and headed back to camp.

Sunday started out with everyone but Greg and Dave who headed out Saturday evening and Sunday morning. We staying in one group and left Tom's CJ and Abbey's TJ at the camp and headed toward trail 5 (a challenging black). Andrew led the way and chose some difficult lines. We all made it through with a ton of spotting but no one got stuck or broke. We ran into two other groups of Jeeps half way through the trail along with 2 buggies. We watched them scale some vertical rock faces and made out way back over to the black obstacle on 4. Eveyone made it through this just fine. I was going good at the tail end when all of a sudden the brake pedal when to the floor. Not good on a downhill. I figured "great, two trips in a row I break my brakes" Ended up the banjo bolt on the passenger side loosened up. Quick fix. From there the general concenus was to call it a day as it began to rain (RC curse) and the campers still had to break down camp.

Amazing weekend with a great crew. And no breakages which is always a plus. My dad managed to take some great pictures (132 of them) so be sure to take a look.

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=2780520093

-Chris

• Awesome pics.

I am getting my lift on Sunday at Paragon. I can't wait. Would like to go and try my luck on some of those trails, maybe the easier one. Don't know if I want to put the daily driver KJ through that much right know. I may have to get a CJ or YJ to beat on sometime next year.

Looked like a real fun time.

• Looks like you guys had a blast. Wish I could have gone. Oh well, catch you next time. :wavey:

Former V.P. (2006-2007)
    V.P. of Jeeps for Joy (2004-2010)
    President of Jeeps for Joy (2010-2012)
    Beater Build Winning Driver (2009)

• Quote from "JeepSahara"

Andrew was just dieing to try out his winch so he yanked me out of the way and made his way up to yank the rest of the group. Dave was next and gave it about 5 tries before the mud got the best of him. Andrew proceeded to winch up the rest of the group.

Ahem...I didn't have to take the cable! :folded:

I have to say it was a _great_ weekend. :up: :up: It was a fun time...more mud than on Sat then any run I've attended. I have to thank Tom for some kick-@ss deep fried turkey Sat night. I was very happy with the ol' MJ's performance...not a complaint from the truck all weekend and the Irok's ROCK especially in the mud w/ their cupped treads. Can't wait for next time!

--Ian

• D'oh...also forgot to thank Lynn for dropping off a bunch of firewood at camp C during the day on Sat! With what we scavenged on the trail we had _plenty_ for the night. Now we just need to get the RC MJ out there on the trails with us!

--Ian

Quote from "Lynn"

Glad you all had a good time. Here's a pic of Ian's Comanche on Trail 5:

• Great pics! Looks like you guys had a blast. Greg, what is it with you and deep water?? :suspicious:

Have fun cleaning Chris! :up:

• Thanks for the trail report Chris. And, jeepartie, at no time were we actually lost. Really!

Just a little supplemental information... On Saturday morning, we introduced Abbey to off-road driving in her '04 TJ. Just off of trail C is a short log bridge built for a Hummer group, and Abbey headed across before I got out to spot. A little off center, the front wheel fell off and down between the logs, leaving the jeep a little stuck. I broke out my strap and pulled it back off the bridge, and then we started over with spotting this time. Our little group then finished trail C, and headed over to trail 1, which we did from start to finish (bypassing most of the blue sections, but Tom did follow me down into that big gully and had to be pulled back up).

The afternoon was pretty good too, with a combination of mud and rocks. And yes, I did have fun winching up those folks who wanted to try the deep mud gullies (except Ian, who powered through).

Sunday morning's trail 5 was pretty challenging for the group, but I was impressed that we all got through with no one getting stuck and just a little trail damage (Donnie's left tail light).

Thanks everyone for coming! See you on the trails soon...

• Quote from "Da Mutt"

andrew buddy I think you could use a little more lift or some help from Mr. sawsall

:shrug:
    I've been thinking about both. Chris's pictures of his new long-arm has me salivating...

Then again, it keeps the mud from building up in the wheel wells. :jester:

• we had a great time. Abby got to do her first bit of off-road driving (and it even included a little pucker factor when she fell off that bridge :updown: ) but all in all it was great. Got to sleep out in the woods, and enjoy the campfire. Again to lynn, thanks for the wood.

It looks like abby will be driving the next trip I go on as well do to probably having a cast on for 3 months. we will see.

I too, am with stupid<br />87XJ&nbsp;(gone), 97 ZJ W 31&quot; MT&#039;s (gone), 04 TJ W 3&quot; procomp springs/ 33&quot; BFG&nbsp; MT&#039;S (gone)<br />87 YJ- SOA - 39.5 Swampers-111&quot; wheel base, 4 link front, Atlas, 14 bolt, Dana 60 and stuff

• shannon and i had an awesome time...wanted to stick around for sunday...but until i get the backup jeep up and running i cant risk missing work due to breakage...i too have some pics..but dont have them up yet...some great video too (thanks shannon)...ill try to find some hosting space for the vids and get them uploaded. thanks again to chris and andrew for doing a great job.....look out for gutter lights LOL

• I had an awesome time this run. :up:
    Thanks to Tom and Nikki for the turkey Saturday nite. Thanks to Lynn for the fire wood. Thanks to Dave H. for some great pics. And thanks to Chris and Andrew for leading us through some pretty challenging trails. :peace:

Last trip to RC in the spring with no lift and 30' tires I bent a rim, bent a leaf spring and tore off a shock mount. This trip with the lift and 33"s I smashed a tail light and boogered up the tub and hood slightly. [size=9px](darn trees)[/size] I still can't belive some of the stuff my Jeep got me through this trip. :grin:

I wonder how Nikki made out on the way home without front shocks? :shrug:

• We got her home fine except for hitting some horrible traffic on 78. She is still driving around with no front shocks. :lie: Shocks don't make a very good limiting strap. Hopefully by the next RC trip I'll have OCII finished. May start building the 3 bay garage next month so to work on the jeep inside.

• I have to agree, it was another great trip!!! I had a wonderful time and so did the boys. I have to say sat. night was more enjoyable in the concrete tent!! I'm not into the cold weather camping.
    Thanks to Chris and Andrew for being our leaders and for the good spotting.
    I've been doing good with out the front shocks, not too bad of a ride.
    But today I had an interesting time with my brakes, they stopped me, but kept going to the floor. So I had Bailey push the brake pedal while I looked underneath and I have a nice hole in the hose on the passenger side. Seems that the tire is rubbing the hose when I turn. Tom went looking for some new hose tonight and nobody stocks it. Very nice...........NOT!!!

Can't wait for the next trip!!!

• I've looked at every pic like 5 times now...i must get my jeep done!!! If RE will ever get me my shocks...yargh :shrug: Looks like everyone had an awesome time and i cant wait to join you all!

Jason

• Order some stainless steel lines to replace it. The rubber line should have had a thick rubber boot over top to prevent the tire from rubbing through.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!