need a little advice...

• HI, I'm new to this world of jeeps. I just purchased a 2001 Jeep wrangler. It is all stock which doesn't really bother me because I want to customize it. I just bought some 31 in tires(stock tires from a rubicon) and I need some suggestions on which size lift i need to get. I am having a hard time deciding between a 2 in or a 3 in BB (would love to lift the whole suspension but a little tight on money at the moment). Which do you think would be better?

thanks! :)

• Take it on a trail ride first. Do some green trails and maybe an easy blue, your Jeep is completely capable right now! See if you like THAT first. Maybe ride with someone on a black trail to see if you'd like to do that someday. If so, start building according to the trails you want to ride. Meanwhile... bank the money in a savings account and keep adding to it as you decide. Also, watch the swap meet for parts. We all like to upgrade, so there are often parts you'll want on the boards, and DeJa members to help put them on.

Welcome to wheeling, you'll love it.

• the 31's will clear stock. take the advise above and save up for a nice 3.5 lift (rubicon express superflex is my recomendation) pair that with some 33's and you will go just about anywhere you want, while keeping a street friendly jeep. if the bug bites you like it does most other jeepers...the budget boost will be on your jeep for about 6 months before you decide to install a full suspension lift. i miss my TJ

• Its the same old attitude, but I use it sparingly these days... otherwise Keith craps blood, and the moderators get really confused.

• just remember get what you want... i would reccomend 2in..... i dont like body lifts over 1 in... if i were you i would do a 2in lift with 1in body lift...

• IMHO a body lift is bad news. A Jeep was not designed to be removed from its frame and wheeled. If you want 3" of lift, LIFT IT 3", don't lift the frame off the body. I'm sure others feel differently, but those would be the ones with the body lifts most likely.

• IMHO a body lift is bad news. A Jeep was not designed to be removed from its frame and wheeled. If you want 3" of lift, LIFT IT 3", don't lift the frame off the body. I'm sure others feel differently, but those would be the ones with the body lifts most likely.

yes, I have been hearing this from many people. true the 2 inch lift is only going to be temporary(i'm leaving for korea in about 8 months so I'll have plenty of time to save up!) the tires I have on there now I VERY small and look like they only have 50% tread.

• i agree with mellow yellow, just dont take it out till you have an oil pan skid plate....IMO you should wail till Jan for the NTH degree units to be released by AEV again....they narrowed it down to one part number for all applications and i have 20 on order for quadratec....

jeep frames and bodies are seperated by body pucks from the factory... to each his own but a 1" body lift makes absolutely no difference performance wise but is a cheap and easy way to gain a small amount of clearance and make room under the body to tuck the running gear higher....

• jeep frames and bodies are seperated by body pucks from the factory... to each his own but a 1" body lift makes absolutely no difference performance wise but is a cheap and easy way to gain a small amount of clearance and make room under the body to tuck the running gear higher....

Then why aren't those pucks 2" tall, or 3" from the factory? They're there as isolators not a lift. But, you're right... to each his own. Just seems unnatural to me, but I said it was just my opinion.

• Then why aren't those pucks 2" tall, or 3" from the factory? They're there as isolators not a lift. But, you're right... to each his own. Just seems unnatural to me, but I said it was just my opinion.

And why didn't YOUR Jeep come from the factory with a budget boost?? hmmm. :shrug: That whole "from the factory" or "OE design parameters" argument goes right out the window on a Jeep the minute you mod anything... I'm not a BL kind of person either but a small one does have its use...I don't have one on mine but have thought about one at points for various reasons.

IMHO bang for the buck I'd have to agree with quantum. You can't beat a 2" BB w/ a 1" BL. Jen's been running hers like that with 33's for 2 years now and hit the trails on multiple occasions with good results. I've got the majority of a "real" lift pieced together to go on hers but it's gotten her by nicely for awhile.

--Ian

• ive got a good suggestion...you could just sell your TJ and get a YJ! either that or do some sort of leaf spring over axle conversion on a TJ :laughing:. coil springs just dont get the job done IMHO from what i saw at RC today :doh:.i think knoxrents could agree! :idiot:

• sheesh... some people are really good at stirring up arguments.

a 2" coil spacer (aka budget boost) lift is perfect for 31s. You can go cheap and just get the spacers, or spend a little more money and get shocks (highly recommended if you want to hit some trails). A 2" body lift is indeed cheaper but they can be a pain to install and are plastic vs the factory rubber isolators so the ride quality is different.

spacers only: http://www.quadratec.com/products/16105_101.htm
    with soft hydro shocks: http://www.quadratec.com/products/16117_108.htm

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• I had a 2" budget boost with 31s and just added a 1" body lift to fit 31s nicely. I've wheeled with it fine and have done it on a budget just by watching the swapmeet boards.

I would like to do a little bit of wheelin just to try it out. But I don't think the tires that i have are in any shape for that LOL. their pretty bad. I think I am going to try a 2 inch budget boost because I only need clearance for my new tires. Like I said I would love to Just lift the whole suspension but I won't be able to afford that for a while.

• the 31's will clear stock. take the advise above and save up for a nice 3.5 lift (rubicon express superflex is my recomendation) pair that with some 33's and you will go just about anywhere you want, while keeping a street friendly jeep. if the bug bites you like it does most other jeepers...the budget boost will be on your jeep for about 6 months before you decide to install a full suspension lift. i miss my TJ

true they will clear, but it also looks like its going to rub when I turn. My jeep is probably the lowest one I've ever seen.

• Just to be sure we're all on the same letters... I don't like the idea of a BODY LIFT... a BB is fine, that's all I've ever had, and will likely ever have. I was also very careful to say it was just my opinion. We all build them differently, that's the fun part. BLs seem popular enough, so they must be sound, I just prefer to keep the body closer to the frame where it belongs. Just my preference, not meant to start an argument. What fun would it be if we all built the same Jeep in different colors?

• sheesh... some people are really good at stirring up arguments.

a 2" coil spacer (aka budget boost) lift is perfect for 31s. You can go cheap and just get the spacers, or spend a little more money and get shocks (highly recommended if you want to hit some trails). A 2" body lift is indeed cheaper but they can be a pain to install and are plastic vs the factory rubber isolators so the ride quality is different.

spacers only: http://www.quadratec.com/products/16105_101.htm
    with soft hydro shocks: http://www.quadratec.com/products/16117_108.htm

Thank you for the link. Thats not a bad price. Because I will like to take it on a trail someday.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!