Skid Plates - What first?

• Ok... I'm sure we have MANY opinions on the topic...

I want to start bullet proofing the underside of my ride now... :driving:

I've been shopping around for the skids, and there are all kinds of options...
    What's the logical order of things? And are there some skids that are multi purpose? I mean if you get an Engine skid, would you still need a radiator skid? Do some skids cover multiple areas of smaller skids?

Ok.. Here are the options

A) Engine
    B) Steering Box
    C) Radiator
    D) Control Arm
    E) Transfer Case
    F) Gas Tank
    G) Oil Pan
    H) U-Bolt
    I) Differentials
    J) Transmission

I'm thinking.... A,B,F,C,D, and then it's a crap shoot...

Input from the peanut gallery? ???

• engine first....that oil pan is the lowest critical part. then steering box. after that IMO it all optional/upgrade

• What they said and...
    Take radiator off of the list. Unless you want the one on my Jeep. Only skid with not a scratch on it. Yeah it only takes once, but that one was a waste of money IMO. :doh:

Last because the they come on the stocker is the T-Case skid but a Tummy Tuck is a great mod. When I ran a 4" lift with 33's, I would slide over rocks that 6" lifts got caught up on. I am an advocate of a smooth underbelly.

Oh yeah. Put diffs front and rear up there on the list. Front from impact, rear from pealing. Good luck man.

• Front diff protection first. I have never had a skid on my steering box and have yet to have scratch on it but thats just me. Next would be an oil pan skid. Then a gas tank skid, as my stock one was thrashed.

2000 Sahara, All custom...
    2000 Cherokee Police package, Beater....

I may be slowest and the stupidest

• You don't have ubolts on a TJ, so forget them (only for YJs or CJs). You could go for control arm skids, though. usually $30 a pair, and are weld on.

Diffs, Engine skid (that'll take care of the oil pan and trans, too), gas tank. Those are the ones I'd do first. After that, do the control arm skids and then can get a tcase skid if you like and steering box skid. Like others have said, the radiator skid is for those really rare occasions. If you only wheel at the beach and Rausch Creek, you'll probably never need it. If you do a lot of forest trails with branches and such laying around, you'll have a better chance of using it. At this point, think about rocker guards like from A-Z. They protect the sides of your body, plus give you a step to help short passengers get in after you get that "huge" lift and "monster truck tires". :)

KnoxRents has a great suggestion about the tummy tuck, but that requires a body lift and a SYE conversion to the transfer case plus a new rear driveshaft. You'll need the SYE and new shaft after you lift 4" or so anyhow.

Everybody has their own ideas of what is needed more than others, but this is my list. :) I have an XJ so its a little different, but I've used my front diff skid many times, and the rocker guards, and touched the gas tank a couple times. XJs don't come with tranny skids like TJs do, but I've crushed the factory crossmember enough that a beefed up once was necessary, Still haven't hit the oil pan or engine anywhere. My steering box and radiator are both protected due to the frame design so they're good too. Never hit the rear diff cover, either. My control arm mounts have really been beat up, though.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• Everybody has their own ideas of what is needed more than others

Agreed
    Hit the trails a few times and when you get home
    Inspect the undercarriage and you will see what you need first .

At the very least get a decent engine skid first

• engine then call it a day that is they only one i have had for 3 years and it has been the only on i have hit.

bLaTaNt DiSrEgArD<br /><br /><br />TJ 98 4 banger gone but not fogotten<br />WJ 02 limited- Do all vehicle &quot;QUICK THROW A LOCKER AT IT!!!&quot;

• I have a 3.5" RE and a 1" BL... I'm getting some pretty good vibes and I'm about to fold and get the SYE...
    After that, would a tummy tuck work? Anything else needed for it? This is probably a dumb question, but what is the difference between a tummy tuck and a engine skid? Are they they same or is the engine skid up front and the tummy tuck below the cab?

Do the skids make maintenance a PIA? I saw there is a hole for the oil drain plug, not sure if there are any other issues...

Thanks for the input on the topic...

• nth degree oil pan skid, then any steering skid and front diff, rocker guards also

• I have a 3.5" RE and a 1" BL... I'm getting some pretty good vibes and I'm about to fold and get the SYE...
    After that, would a tummy tuck work? Anything else needed for it? This is probably a dumb question, but what is the difference between a tummy tuck and a engine skid? Are they they same or is the engine skid up front and the tummy tuck below the cab?

Do the skids make maintenance a PIA? I saw there is a hole for the oil drain plug, not sure if there are any other issues...

I did my tuck without a BL but it would have helped. Just for reference, here is what it looked like. Sorry for the small pics.

Compare that to the stock shovel and you can see where the clearance difference is.
    But like I said, start with the more important skids first.

By the way, I will have an Nth oil pan skid available is a couple weeks. I'll give you a fair number if you want it. (they are out of business unless AEV is shipping them already)

• By the way, I will have an Nth oil pan skid available is a couple weeks. I'll give you a fair number if you want it. (they are out of business unless AEV is shipping them already)

yes, we are getting pretty much all of them in stock soon, they now fit all 97-06 man and auto.

• Get one for your butt first. You'll need that the most when the wife finds out how much you've spent on your jeep recently.........................................

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!