• After picking up the Jeep from A to Z on Friday and putting another 500 miles on it over the weekend, all I can say is wow. Rides and handles far better than stock, great power with the 4.88's and new exhaust, sounds perfect, and looks awesome. I wish I could have installed it myself but with the complexity of the bracket kits and the amount of welding, I am glad I had Zach do it. The pics aren't great but I figure they are better than none at all.

Next is to try it on the trail. I was so tempted in NY but I wanted to make sure I broke the gears in properly so I held off. I am sure it will do amazing...

• oh lord another clayton kit... :doh: i do love those axle bracket kits though....

you deff want to straighten those joints out or they will wear prematurley.

wheres your rear sway bar, why did he cut off the axle mounts???? ugh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :doh:

the shocks are mounted upside down also...better fix that. :up: :up:

• oh lord another clayton kit... :doh: i do love those axle bracket kits though....
    you deff want to straighten those joints out or they will wear prematurley.
    wheres your rear sway bar, why did he cut off the axle mounts???? ugh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :doh:
    the shocks are mounted upside down also...better fix that. :up: :up:

What??? My rear sway bar is gone??? hahaha

• did you net more than 4" ? looks like it to me :shrug:

Honestly I didn't measure before vs after but I would say right now I have about 4.5 - 5 lift. Part of that is the bracket relo though as the Claytons tend to give the indicated lift for an armored up Jeep.

• Looks good, dude.....congrats!

"I mean, I've always been a libertarian. Leave everybody alone. Let everybody else do what they want. Just stay out of everybody else's hair." - Clint Eastwood -

• first off meeper you can run bilstein's upside down. but what's up with that shock relocation. I can't believe they would destroy your frame like that. that notch completely destroys the rigidity of the frame. i can just see you snatching someone and the whole rear of the frame bending and therfore destroying the tub. and whats up with those ghetto upper shock mounts.

"Rigidety Rules" - Doug Hicks

• first off meeper you can run bilstein's upside down. but what's up with that shock relocation. I can't believe they would destroy your frame like that. that notch completely destroys the rigidity of the frame. i can just see you snatching someone and the whole rear of the frame bending and therfore destroying the tub. and whats up with those ghetto upper shock mounts.

I can't see how that would be an issue as long as the welds are good........and I'm
    sure they are.

Keep in mind, that's the end of the frame, not the middle.

"I mean, I've always been a libertarian. Leave everybody alone. Let everybody else do what they want. Just stay out of everybody else's hair." - Clint Eastwood -

Um, ok. Those rear shock mounts are not going to "destroy my frame". First, I won't be snatching anyone at 100 mph. Second, that mount is at least 1/4 and may be 5/16 (I didn't feel the need to measure it) and is welded (very well I might add) on all sides. It will not weaken the frame at that location. Ghetto eh? Sure beats the stock ones which are quite prone to breaking under duress. Not that everyone isn't entitled to their own opinion but talk about off-base.

EDIT: CubCrawler, 1 whole post? Date Registered = Today at 09:28:17 PM. Hahaha Who is hiding behind this login eh? Get lost CubClueless...

• Well obviously you have no edjucation on the physics and statics and strengths of materials. Anyone who believes that the channel welded into your frame is going to be the same strength as stock, is crazy. Take a 4' long section of 1/2" x 2" flat bar supported on either end and then press in the center. Now take a 4' long section of 2" x 2" x 1/8" wall box tubing supported on either end and tell me which one deflects the most. (1/2" flat bar would be 2 times as thick as the two 1/8" walls on the box tubing, and would even be approx. the same weight per foot)

"Just because it works, doesn't mean its right" - Meeper

Not that i'm an expert on DOT rules, but are they going to let something like this fly? (since this is a major frame modification)

• no that was #2 post, this will be #3 post. But anyway, thanks for finally realizing that you are talking to a structural engineer with a degree. I'm not trying to bash your jeep, i'm just saying that clayton made a catastrophic error in that design.

• Yeah, Engineer with a degree here also. All I can say is if that bracket fails, then I am having MUCH more serious issues going on at the moment and it is the least of my concerns. There is what the book says, then there is reality. It is the same as the argument about square vs round tubing. Find a single documented instance where this type of modification has failed (without all hell breaking loose and a ton of other damage incurred) and I will entertain your thought. And stating that you have a degree is about like saying you stayed at a Holiday Inn last night.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!