Trying to decide which bumper to buy.

• Trying to decide on which rear tire carrier bumper to buy. Does anyone have personal experience with either of these?

http://www.quadratec.com/products/12052_40X_PG.htm

http://www.4wheelparts.com/PDT262634.aspx

I'm going to modify it to fit on a Grand Cherokee so I'm not worried on how it mounts to the Wrangler body. Just want to know about hinge construction and overall strength.

1999 Grand Cherokee WJ 3" lift JK Moabs 31" tire
    1993 Grand Cherokee 7" Long Arm, Badgeless, SOLD
    1981 CJ-7 4" Lift, 31" MTR's, Pretty Blue

• I have the Rugged Ridge RRC Rear Bumper with Hitch and Swingout Tire Carrier. Picked it up at the ding sale at qtec for $150.

I am happy so far BUT i have been told that it will get caught up on rocks and other junk on the trail. If I was buying one brand new I'd be looking for something with a little more clearance.

• smittybilt and RRC are the same. I've had the set (front/rear/nerf) for amost 2 years now with no issues. Powdercoating as held up better than the Olympic stuff I had previously.

• the new Smittybilt stuff is manufactured for 4WD/4Wheelparts... Rugged Ridge just bought the designs a couple years ago. SRC=Smittybilt. RRC=Rugged Ridge/Omix-Ada.

Sadly, anything holds up better than the coating Olympic uses.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• What comes in the building kit? Is it just tubing and I have to bend it all myself or is it prebent and I just have to weld it up and cut it to length?

Really I'm not to worried about RRC getting hung up on the trail since anything would be better than the factory ZJ bumper getting ripped off every ride I take. Plus I plan on modifying it to work for me. I did ask if anyone had one for sale on here, but seems everyone is in love with them and won't get rid of them ;D.

• If I had to buy one new I would be getting the WARN unit. Keeps it up out of the way but it is pricey.

the warn rear bumpers are nice, but i have noticed the tire carriers sag out pretty bad with anything over a 35" tire

the building kit i was talking about is just the brackets and the hinge. didnt realize you wanted a tube bumper.

• the warn rear bumpers are nice, but i have noticed the tire carriers sag out pretty bad with anything over a 35" tire

the building kit i was talking about is just the brackets and the hinge. didnt realize you wanted a tube bumper.

i had a warn on my TJ with carrier. depending on what i decide to do with the YJ i will most likley have AtoZ make me a carrier. was not impressed with the warn unit for what i paid. the powdercoating sucked, it started to sag, and the latch could be a PITA if you didnt keep it lubed regularly

if you are going to go custom anyway..talk to zach and buy the pieces you will need and some extra steel. no point hacking up a bumper to re-weld it and try to match the finish.

• That's more money then I spent for my Jeep 15 years ago.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• There is no way I am spending $1300 on a rear bumper just so I can immediately take it out of the wrapping and start hacking it up and welding to it to make it work on my Grand Cherokee. Talk about pissing money away. Plus that thing is so expensive mainly due to the smooth finish work on it and that doesn't appeal to me over form. If a bumper for more than half that can handle a 35" tire and give me protection in the back against trees, then I'm happy. Did I mention that I already have a Wrangler bumper in the front?

Edited once, last by AndyZJ ().

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!