TJ Shocks

• OK so I was searching this forum trying to find some answers about my shocks. My shocks are not working well they rebound after going over bumps bad and it became very apparent at GWNF that I needed to do something. I thought my wife was going to loose her lunch we were bouncing back and forth so bad. (NO THIS IS NOT JUST NORMAL OFF-ROAD BUMPS)

So I found this post...
    http://www.delawareja.com/forum/index.php?topic=519.0

Are mine mounted upside down...?

What is a good middle of the road shock that I can put on the Jeep?

• Why go middle of the road. Go OME and don't look back. Last shock you'll ever have to buy (Probably won't keep jeep long enough to replace them anyway) and the best ride around.

Just my opinion. :shrug:

Former V.P. (2006-2007)
    V.P. of Jeeps for Joy (2004-2010)
    President of Jeeps for Joy (2010-2012)
    Beater Build Winning Driver (2009)

• some shocks can be mounted upside down. this allows a little more clearance so the "can" isn't hitting the axle. not all shocks can be installed this way, however the DT3000's can. i ran DT3000's on my TJ (upside down) and never had an issue. i would recommend them for a fair priced, all around shock that in my experience held up well to on and off road abuse.

i am currently running OME shocks on my YJ. i also changed leaf springs so i don't know their direct impact, however the ride quality is 100 times better than the pro-comp lift i removed/replaced. i would also recommend the OME if you have room in your budget, however you will probably require a shock relocation bar (attaches between axle and shock to allow the "can" to clear

• The maker and model of the shock would help greatly to decide whether they are built upside down or not.

Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.<br />-Frederic Bastiat

• skyjacker hydro (read cheap) if i recall

*bLaTaNt DiSrEgarD oFfRoAd*<br /><br />&quot;Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. <br />One died for your soul; the other for your freedom.&quot;

• Ohh thank you for the link that makes sense.

If I go with a slightly higher end shock that is designed to be mounted upside down as Chuck explained then I could save the $30 and spend that on the shocks. Yes?

The reason is that I am hesitant to make any changes to the mounts or anything back there because I am going to be replacing all if it someday when I go to the D44.

• If I go with a slightly higher end shock that is designed to be mounted upside down as Chuck explained then I could save the $30 and spend that on the shocks. Yes?

Yes, but then during the shock stroke you are still likely to hit the can on the lower spring bucket, which could possibly ruin the can or the seal around the shock piston.

The reason is that I am hesitant to make any changes to the mounts or anything back there because I am going to be replacing all if it someday when I go to the D44.

The shock movers that are posted bolt onto your existing lower mounts and just push the bottom of your shock to the rear to keep the can from rubbing or hitting the lower spring bucket. They are something that you may use even after you built or buy a D44. They are nothing that will permanently alter your shocks or lower mounts. Great easy way to allow yourself to use any shock, whether they are to be mounted can up, can down, or either.

Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.<br />-Frederic Bastiat

• Yes, but then during the shock stroke you are still likely to hit the can on the lower spring bucket, which could possibly ruin the can or the seal around the shock piston.

The shock movers that are posted bolt onto your existing lower mounts and just push the bottom of your shock to the rear to keep the can from rubbing or hitting the lower spring bucket. They are something that you may use even after you built or buy a D44. They are nothing that will permanently alter your shocks or lower mounts. Great easy way to allow yourself to use any shock, whether they are to be mounted can up, can down, or either.

like ed said...they are bolt on. you could bolt them on, flip your current shocks, and possibly be done. if that dosent work you can buy any shock of your choice and know it will fit. easy hour or 2 and you are done.

• skyjacker hydro (read cheap) if i recall

Skyjacker shocks are meant to be installed "can down". Same with their nitro shocks. Typically, only "monotube" design shocks can be installed "can up".

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• Well my shopping trip at Quadratec is complete... I now own

and

Rancho RSX Series Shock Absorber 15.75" / 26.13 Stud / Eye
    4 x

Hopefully I should be able to get them all replaced along with the heim joint I broke at GWNF tomorrow. I'll let you know how it turns out.

• I've been looking for a good how-to article on the Shock Absorber replacement process. I can't find anything. I also have not opened the box yet to read any included instructions that may or may not be in there.

Any suggestions to make it go easier or things to watch out for?

• OK so the guy at the counter @ Quadratec told me that the shocks were the same for the front and rear. I got home opened the box and the top mounts look good for the rear but do not match the fronts. :cuss: :censored: I even asked him and he looked in the catalog and said yep your fine. :bang:

Bigger question. It appears that I might already have the some type of Rear Shock Mount Relocation Brackets.

What do you think?
    Should I replace them with what I just bought?

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!