• I have noticed that in the "Jeep World" there are a lot of people that STUFF their tires. I have always liked a lot of wheel well room and a balanced look. The right size tire with a decent amount of wheel well space. I have lifted Chevy's, Fords, Toyota's and jeeps. All other 4wheel groups always leave a lot of room for articulation. So why the Stuffed Look in the Jeep World?

Just an observation.

John

There is nothing that can't be fixed if you throw enough money at it,

• If you can "stuff" the tire in the fender when flexing then there really is little to be gained by more empty space between the wheelwell and tire.

Except a higher center of gravity.

My $.02

• ^ what they said. looks have nothing to do with it...

~ JD
    * WARNING - The above post may contain trace elements of biting sarcasm. Those with known sensitivities should avoid staring directly at it.

• X3 You get sideways on a nasty hill clime and you dont roll over a thousand times...well lets just say you will be glad you only have a 4 or 5 inch lift. :spinrhead:

• I guess what I'm trying to say is it looks like to me that there are a lot of people stuffing and not allowing room for articulation. I hear what your saying, too much would only gain you extra and unwanted height and an unstable rig. That makes good sense to me. But from what I see driving around town, there would be a lot of mashed fenders. I'm not to referring to anyone on this thread or anyone in particular just an observation.

With that said, I enjoy working on my Jeep and doing modest upgrades. I have had my fun on the trails and in the mud and have had my share of broken rigs with no money to fix them. I now have several money pit hobbies to through my money at so I must spread out the disposal cash evenly. Since I'm not looking for performance upgrades I'll stick to the Poser mods. LOL

• I guess what I'm trying to say is it looks like to me that there are a lot of people stuffing and not allowing room for articulation.

maybe i am misunderstanding your idea of 'stuffing'. if you mean something other than what was answered in the last few posts, can you please post some pics or links to pics?

~ JD
    * WARNING - The above post may contain trace elements of biting sarcasm. Those with known sensitivities should avoid staring directly at it.

• maybe i am misunderstanding your idea of 'stuffing'. if you mean something other than what was answered in the last few posts, can you please post some pics or links to pics?

Yeah, maybe we are talking about two different things.

Here's a couple pics of "stuffing the tires".

• I guess what I'm trying to say is it looks like to me that there are a lot of people stuffing and not allowing room for articulation. I hear what your saying, too much would only gain you extra and unwanted height and an unstable rig. That makes good sense to me. But from what I see driving around town, there would be a lot of mashed fenders. I'm not to referring to anyone on this thread or anyone in particular just an observation.

With that said, I enjoy working on my Jeep and doing modest upgrades. I have had my fun on the trails and in the mud and have had my share of broken rigs with no money to fix them. I now have several money pit hobbies to through my money at so I must spread out the disposal cash evenly. Since I'm not looking for performance upgrades I'll stick to the Poser mods. LOL

i know what you are talking about. the idea is you dont want a ton of up travel, mostly droop. this helps with the stability of the rig on side slopes and on hill climbs.

• I 'm talking about while at a standstill and on a flat surface, you can't see any fender space between the tire and fender well, like you stuffed the tire under the Jeep. Looking at jeeps like that only leads me to believe that there can't be too much upward travel or there would be a lot of mashed fenders. **Not enough lift and too much tire** There would be no room for movement. I guess these people are only driving on the road and not worried about travel. Look at the average truck with a lift on it.

***********STUFFED************

*********Good Tire to Lift Ratio IMO**********

Do you get what I mean Now.

John

• I think it has a lot to do with the fact of how the wheel wells are shaped on a jeep compared to others. because of the lack of inward body taper the tire has freer (sp, if it is acutally a word) room to use in the wheel well.

• i see what you are saying after looking at those pics. i don't understand why people would do that. i guess it's a looks thing that someone is going for. like those people who put those ridiculous little tires on their cars.

but in your original post, you said this:

So why the Stuffed Look in the Jeep World?

dude, these aren't jeeps:

~ JD

Edited once, last by altierior ().

• I know. But I wanted to give you an Idea of what I was talking about. Besides, I didn't want to start a war or offend someone by posting a rig from this site. I guess I like more lift them most. Like my 4" Susp lift and 1" shackle lift on my YJ and only running 31's.

• i hear ya jon.. i think a lot of times, people don't realize how much lift they need for the tire size they want. like myself. when i started, i got an aal kit and 33's!!!! not knowing any better. i got tires jammed in the well and stuck in a small swale!!! maybe it's just rookie mistakes. or tight a**es wanting to say "hey, i got 33's" lol

before...

after my move to a spring over.....

• W o W ! what a difference after the spring over axle lift. Looks much better. I think your right about the
    **Look at me with 33's** and no money. I think a lot of people just go for the largest tire they can and get by with as little of a lift as possible. It all comes down to the almighty buck. I didn't have a lot of money and wanted to build a poser rig on a budget so I know where they are coming from. LOL

• OK, I tried to find some jeeps that I thought looked good with the right amount of lift-to-tire ratio and it was hard. I went through 17 pages of photos and found 2 that I liked. Remember, I'm not trying to start a war or offend anyone, I'm just giving my opinion on what ( I ) think is the right amount of lift-to-tire ratio combo.

*************STUFFED***************

<br>

<br>

Here are GOOD examples, IMO, of the right tire-to-lift ratio.....

<br>

<br>

<br>

What do you guys think?

There is nothing that can&#039;t be fixed if you throw enough money at it,

• i think that it's great you have a solid opinion on what you think your jeep should look like - and likewise, every other person's opinion probably differs one way or another. i have to ask, was there a goal or direction in your thread or just looking for random conversation? i'm not being argumentative...just trying to understand where you're going with this.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!