4 cyl.in a jeep strong enough?

• sold my yj about 5 months ago. bought a pick upand now selling... guy in camden wants to trade me for 89 yj with a 4cyl. my old jeep had a straight 6 258, ran like you know what. how strong is the 4cyl??????? thanks

• 4 cylinders are supposed to have a lot of torque. As long as you don't go too big with the tires you'll be fine.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• 4 banger is great on the trail, but dont plan on doing much over 60 mph on the hwy, especially with big tires

thats what regearing is for.

4.88's 33's 4cyl ive seen 85mph before when i was still on BB and JKS BL. Now that I'm RE 3.5 i dont do much over 70, but i can hit it easily.

1997 TJ 4 banger 5 speed, 4.88's, detroit tru track in the front d30, RE 3.5,OME shocks, JKS 1.25" BL, 33" BFG A/T's, Llama bumpers tire carrier, Hi lift

• well thats not necessarily the correct gearing choice for 33's and a 4cyl.. maybe 35's and a 6 cyl. But the recommended gear ratio for a 2.5L with 33's is 4.88's..

1997 TJ 4 banger 5 speed, 4.88's, detroit tru track in the front d30, RE 3.5,OME shocks, JKS 1.25" BL, 33" BFG A/T's, Llama bumpers tire carrier, Hi lift

• yes i know... im swapping in a 4.0 this spring

plus he can put in whatever he wants, there is no standard. besides what about the guys running 35's with the 4 banger... what should they run 5.13? their is a point at which you cant gear it any more... besides i got a great deal on the 4.56 :driving: and they work great

the 4cy will be fine, if you feel its sluggish than regear, i ran the 4.10s w 33's for 6 months it wasent that bad at all. just took a little longer to get the old girl up to speed. the 4.56s just leveld the playing field to compesate.

• you can get really low gears like 7.17 in a dana 70

bLaTaNt DiSrEgArD<br /><br /><br />TJ 98 4 banger gone but not fogotten<br />WJ 02 limited- Do all vehicle &quot;QUICK THROW A LOCKER AT IT!!!&quot;

• whatever floats your boat bro

1997 TJ 4 banger 5 speed, 4.88&#039;s, detroit tru track in the front d30, RE 3.5,OME shocks, JKS 1.25&quot; BL, 33&quot; BFG A/T&#039;s, Llama bumpers tire carrier, Hi lift

• plus he can put in whatever he wants, there is no standard. besides what about the guys running 35's with the 4 banger... what should they run 5.13? their is a point at which you cant gear it any more...

geo trackers come with 5.13 gears :shrug:

• I'm running a 4 Cly on my Cj with a 4.5 lift and 32's. I plan to upgrade to 33's when the other ones wear down. I don't have any problems with her. She gets up and goes sometimes faster then a modern car or truck. But I baby it so I don't do much of that... :innocent: Anyhow the 33,000 only orig. miles might be a factor as well. The other thing is I don't have power steering installed yet. So that may slow it down a bit. I tried a Yj with a 258 manual and had trouble getting used to it. Love the heart she's got now. :driving:

84 Cj 7 AMC 150, 4.5" BDS Lift, Twin Stick, BF Goodrich 35s...

98 Grand Limited (Wife's)
    ~Always interested in trades~

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!