TheMistaken's D60 Buildup/Install

• Ed- Random question...did you do the ORO uturn at the same time as the durango box by chance?

--Ian

Yes I did, why whats up?

I found a puller on ebay that is like a normal bearing puller but they supply pieces that go over the ends of the carrier for the center pus rod thing to prush against... Here is a link... http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors…torsQ5fAutomotiveQ5fTools

I do not think that a carrier with ring gear will fit between the platform bars of my press. I suppose I could always make something to make a seperator work. I use seperators for the pinion bearings...

Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.<br />-Frederic Bastiat

• Yes I did, why whats up?

Not that any of it really matters now as your steering will change w/ the 60's but...

Because I don't think it was the Durango box that was causing you to 'lose' steering. I was going through my old pics and found a few from when I was complaining of lost steering w/ my uturn setup and remembered that I didn't hit the stops w/ it using a _factory_ steering box.

Here you can see it's about a 1/4" off the stop at full left:

and here at the same full left you can see how far the tire was off the lower control arm vs. the marks where it had rubbed the paint off w/ the factory steering:

look familiar?

I guarantee that the rest of the loss in steering is due to the scrubbing as the ackerman angle is all out of whack w/ the ORO setup. It's a good 'compromise' but IMHO nowhere near perfect. I commend Steve from ORO though as I discussed it with him and he allowed me to return it for full credit when I purchased my Swayloc (now there's a product I'm 110% satisfied w/)

--Ian

• Maybe I should have been a little more clear. I ran both at the same time, but I did the box first. With a stock pitman arm and draglink, the steering would hit the box. It was a hard stop and the box would do the "whine" sound. But even with draglink disconnected, it would only steer the same amount. I am getting all of that stops machined out anyway. We will see. The steering is that last thing I am going to deal with. I have been talking with Trevor from WFO and trying to get what I exactly need. We have been discussing the benefits of TRE over Heims and so on... We will see. I am going to get the lockers and gears all situated before all of that.

Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.<br />-Frederic Bastiat

• Maybe I should have been a little more clear. I ran both at the same time, but I did the box first. With a stock pitman arm and draglink, the steering would hit the box. It was a hard stop and the box would do the "whine" sound. But even with draglink disconnected, it would only steer the same amount. I am getting all of that stops machined out anyway. We will see. The steering is that last thing I am going to deal with. I have been talking with Trevor from WFO and trying to get what I exactly need. We have been discussing the benefits of TRE over Heims and so on... We will see. I am going to get the lockers and gears all situated before all of that.

:up: :up: Ahh...just thought about what you described when I saw those pics.

WFO makes good stuff, that's where my arms and TR/DL came from.

--Ian

• I have started to receiving parts. Putting them on as they come...

Housings all bare. Knuckles are still on the front and the brakes are on the rear. I got tired of taking crap off... They will come off once the brackets are done.

Rear truss on centered on the axle and set at 0* with the pinion set to 18* (a little less then my 8.8, but I can always adjust the pinion up or down depending)

Now before I start blasitng these front brackets on, what did you guys set your front pinion angles to? I was going to replicate the stock 10* or so, but was not too sure. I have the cast wedge for the stock leaf spring on the housing. With that at 0* the pinion is around 11*. Would that be fine? I just do not want to screw up the steering, and with my luck I would. Here is a pick of one of the front uppers just tacked in place.

• With the stock leaf spring wedge on the diff, that being at 0* should put me about the stock caster right? What should I do, tack a piece of flat to the "C" and measure the caster there? I was told that the stock caster is about 5.5* positive. Would that be correct? That would mean the upper portion on the "C" would stick out 5.5* correct? This is my first front build... I just need to get the caster set before Friday. HAHA

I think i am going to take a piece of flat stock, line it up to the centers of the king pin holes, tack it, and measure it from there. Sound right?

Edited once, last by TheMistaken ().

• So taking off the knuckles...

There is the king pin plate on the underside of the knuckle that has 4 bolts in it... For starters 2 bolts on one side and 1 bolt on the other side broke without hesitation. Not a problem I am sure I can get them out of the knucle once I remove this plate. If not, I gues i will be buying some new knuckles. I was going to end up crossing this bridge soon enough anyway. However, now i cannot get these damn plates off. I was being all gentle at first, but then started to get angered and just began to wack the hell out of them with a mini-sledge. There were many different attempts in between the two though... Really really starting to irritate me... Is there a trick to get these off or what? I am about to take my impact hammer/chisel to them...

• So who wants to trade me a set of brand new 39" red label krawlers for a few bucks and some 37" DOT Krawlers

• Your probably on the wrong board for that trade :laughabove:

Former V.P. (2006-2007)
    V.P. of Jeeps for Joy (2004-2010)
    President of Jeeps for Joy (2010-2012)
    Beater Build Winning Driver (2009)

• So who wants to trade me a set of brand new 39" red label krawlers for a few bucks and some 37" DOT Krawlers

Want some 33's? :innocent:

1997 TJ 4 banger 5 speed, 4.88&#039;s, detroit tru track in the front d30, RE 3.5,OME shocks, JKS 1.25&quot; BL, 33&quot; BFG A/T&#039;s, Llama bumpers tire carrier, Hi lift

• lmao :spinrhead:

just make sure blaines an accomplished driver and doesn't get stuck out yonder of dover on some rocks trying to show off and have call me at midnight..(cough cough) :help:

1997 TJ 4 banger 5 speed, 4.88&#039;s, detroit tru track in the front d30, RE 3.5,OME shocks, JKS 1.25&quot; BL, 33&quot; BFG A/T&#039;s, Llama bumpers tire carrier, Hi lift

Edited once, last by slick ().

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!