Rear Axle Woes - Dana 35

• So yesterday at RC I was trying to climb a very loose gravely hill and I goosed the throttle a little harder than I should have. The rear end jumped once and when it landed there was a loud pop and I felt a jolt in the rear. TJ pulled me up the hill with a tow strap and we checked to make sure I still had RWD I did. So we started on our way. As we started around the first corner I heard and felt a few pops coming from the rear drivers side. I took it very slow and tried to not make that sound. After a few turns it stopped the noise. We made our way back to camp and loaded the Jeep onto the trailer. When I got the Jeep unloaded I tried to put it in 2WD and the Jeep doesn't move.

Any ideas??? Is there anyway I can do this repair myself?

• OK I can do that. Now here is my fear. I believe I remember hearing that when you have rear axle problems on a D35 the axle can "walk out".

If I take a peak and I can't fix it will I still be able to get it loaded onto a trailer to take it to a shop?

• OK I can do that. Now here is my fear. I believe I remember hearing that when you have rear axle problems on a D35 the axle can "walk out".

If I take a peak and I can't fix it will I still be able to get it loaded onto a trailer to take it to a shop?

If you broke an axle shaft you would probably already know it.

It can be done , albeit , carefully .
    Take some pics when you drain it and pull the cover off .

My guess is it's internal

• When I got the Jeep unloaded I tried to put it in 2WD and the Jeep doesn't move.

You might want to have someone watch the rear driveshaft and see if it's turning.

That'll isolate whether it's a TC problem or in the rear.

Just seems strange you were able to drive it back but after a trailer ride it wouldn't move at all.

• You might want to have someone watch the rear driveshaft and see if it's turning.

That'll isolate whether it's a TC problem or in the rear.

Just seems strange you were able to drive it back but after a trailer ride it wouldn't move at all.

I'll do that tomorrow in the light. It probably was in FWD most of the way back to the camping area. I never tried it before we loaded it.

if it was going to walk out, it would have done so already. but i wouldn't move it another inch before removing the rear driveshaft.

~ JD
    * WARNING - The above post may contain trace elements of biting sarcasm. Those with known sensitivities should avoid staring directly at it.

• AS I recall after we towed you out of the Quary I had you put it in 2wd. It worked fine then and no "pops". Thats strange that it stopped working after you loaded and went home.

• AS I recall after we towed you out of the Quary I had you put it in 2wd. It worked fine then and no "pops". Thats strange that it stopped working after you loaded and went home.

Well even in the beginning it didn't pop when we were going straight. Only seemed to be when turning then that stopped about 1/2 way back. I think that is when I lost RWD.

• Well even in the beginning it didn't pop when we were going straight. Only seemed to be when turning then that stopped about 1/2 way back. I think that is when I lost RWD.

this is an open differential d35?

this could all be explained under the assumption that the problem is in your differential. in an open diff, there is no differential action when traveling in a straight line. only when turning do the planetary/spider gears rotate around the output/drive gears. so when traveling in a straight line, there were no sounds. the popping only occurred when turning because that is when the differential gears were operating.

as to why it stopped after a little while: there may have only been partial damage when it first happened. as the broken differential gears were forced to continue to work, they got finished off. you lost both the popping sound and your RWD because the gears were no longer operating.

~ JD
    * WARNING - The above post may contain trace elements of biting sarcasm. Those with known sensitivities should avoid staring directly at it.

Edited once, last by altierior ().

• I've got $$ that you broke a few teeth off a spider gear...fairly easy fix if that's the case. But I'd start saving for a 8.8 or 44...

--Ian

OK So since I have no idea what that means I turned to my trusty friend Google. I found this posting. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=479888

Spider gears are the 4 little ones in a square or the big one on the left?

• You beat me by 28 seconds.

The factory spider gears are pretty weak.
    Do they make a lunch box locker that accepts alloy shaft with a higher spline count. Make it a min super 35??

Straight six or nuthin!
    1993 Jeep Wrangler Sport w/ splash graphics!
    1993 Dodge W-350 Cummins
    2006 BMW 325xi wagon.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!