CDN M101 Trailer Build

• I decided to utilize a couple waterproof terminal blocks and a switch block for aux lighting & accessories to make it a clean installation and somewhat easy to modify when needed.

One more item I will add is a 7-pin connector. It looks like there is a Mopar 7-pin factory connector for the LJ's that I think should work fine on the TJ. The terminal blocks I have are 7-pin and even if the TJ lacks the Aux, Brake, and Batt feeds, I can always wire them in myself. While the trailer has no brakes now, I may add a custom width 3500 lb axle in the future that does.

I expect to be adding a secondary battery on the trailer and it would be nice to have a trickle charge to it while the rig is running. I will be augmenting that with a small solar panel. All the lighting I currently plan to use will be LED flood lights so power draw will be as low as possible. At this point I don't intend to run a real cable between the batteries to allow for starting with the secondary.

I just got a pair of NAPA Response 94038 shocks in and they are direct replacements for the factory shocks which were in pretty poor shape. Interestingly enough, they cross to a circa 1968 CJ5 front shock. One issue I did encounter is that after the SOA, the lower shock mount is left in a position such that the shock is almost fully compressed or the angle of the shock is to shallow and won't allow it to do its job. To fix that I ordered up 2 pairs of shock tabs from Ruff Stuff (http://www.ruffstuffspecialtie…shock-tab-pair-p-112.html) to be welded on to the axle.

As for the trailer lid, it will be punched out of a single sheet of 1/2" aluminum and braced with some 2x2 box tubing, then powdercoated black. We even made provisions for the rear of the lid to open independently of the rest so that the tailgate may be accessed without having to open the entire lid, but also locked when the lid is down. I expect this will be a work of art and am very excited with not only the look of the design, but also the very low weight and high strength of it.

• Just finished rigging the new LED's up and got them all working. Certainly not pretty but I like to make sure it all works before I start drilling and such. Final installation tomorrow night. ;D

• More progress. Got the LED's fully installed a couple nights ago.

Then, after a day working on my rear axle, The Mistaken welded on my Ruffstuff lower shock mounts. Trailer suspension is back at 100%. Still have to replace the leaf spring and shackle bushings but that is a project for later this week.

I am building a temporary wood lid so that I can haul the new tent to NY but then this weekend the new aluminum lid gets built and installed and the 315's mounted.

Yeah, I really need to buy a circular saw... :doh:

• are you using particle board for a cover? that stuff does not hold up to weather very well.

.,=======o00o<br />//__|__l__,\___\,___<br />l_---\__|__|---&#91;]lllllll&#91;] _<br />(o)_)____(o)_)--o-)_)__

• I am building a temporary wood lid so that I can haul the new tent to NY but then this weekend...

This lid is trash as of Saturday and some of it will likely be part of a bonfire that night. :doh:

The permanent lid, that I will be installing this Saturday, will be all aluminum and stainless... ;D

• Wordings accompanies pictograms and explains lots.

i was the kid that skipped the 16 sentences in where the wild things were and just looked at the pictures.

.,=======o00o<br />//__|__l__,\___\,___<br />l_---\__|__|---&#91;]lllllll&#91;] _<br />(o)_)____(o)_)--o-)_)__

• Looking good. Are you eventually going to paint it to match the jeep?

Former V.P. (2006-2007)
    V.P. of Jeeps for Joy (2004-2010)
    President of Jeeps for Joy (2010-2012)
    Beater Build Winning Driver (2009)

• wow man those tires look way small lol, dude it looks really good.

bLaTaNt DiSrEgArD<br /><br /><br />TJ 98 4 banger gone but not fogotten<br />WJ 02 limited- Do all vehicle &quot;QUICK THROW A LOCKER AT IT!!!&quot;

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!