CDN M101 Trailer Build

• So the lid is now starting to take shape. Pressed out of a single sheet of 3/8" Aluminum and welded up with some 1x1 box tube for bracing. RTT has aluminum channels that run front to back so this should be very rigid and not tweak if the trailer flexes a bit. Using barrel hinges (1/2 steel and 1/2 aluminum) so it the lid is removable. Also adding bracing to support the tailgate which will be secured with a slam latch (http://www.allegiscorp.com/Dis…ti-Point+Latching+Systems). Hopefully i will be able to post a couple pics later today.

• Not to get offtopic but that company has a bunch of cool stuff...gives me a few ideas for finally doing 'real' latches on my CJ tailgate.
    --Ian

I concur. :up: In browsing their catalog I found the gas struts, all the mounting parts, lid and tailgate gaskets, and the latches...

• So, here are some pics of the lid build in progress.

Sides just got welded...

Adding Supports...

Lid essentially complete...

FYI, my buddy would be interested in doing more of these or similar work if there is any demand. He will also be powder coating this semi-gloss black when all the hardware is on.

• I like it, but I need a lid somewhere between that and the one that Blackflag has on his. Dont really need a that is completely flat as I am not planning on running a trailer top tent, yet. :suspicious:

You could easily do a taller lid with a Thule or Yakima load bar system for when you wanted to mount a RTT or other stuff like bikes or kayaks. But this lid is a single piece of pressed aluminum so I went for strength and ease of build. The couple inches in height it adds plus the drop tailgate will let me use my 150 qt cooler with it. ;D

• Yep and no I won't. I specifically wanted to be able to open it standing on the shoulder of the road, not in traffic. And that orientation puts the RTT door on the drivers side which is also where I wanted it. :)

• So here is the lid in all its awesomeness. ;D Still have to add gasket and lift struts but IMHO this is sweet. I guess I should add handles so I can actually lift it. Hahaha Minor issue... Will be mounting the RTT on it this Saturday.

Also got the rear cut out and finishing the tailgate Sat as well.

• I will write more of a description later but here are the latest pics. The quality on the lid and finish is past anything I would expect commercially. It is amazing work...

Latches are removable similar to a Jeep door.

Tailgate and inside the rear of the trailer has to be framed out with 1x1 box tube, and we will "pretty it all up, but it works for the moment. ;D

• Looks great! Besides the tent that you showed in a previous pic what is under the grey cover? Can you open the lid with all that stuff on top?

That whole thing is the tent and ladder. Pretty slick setup. The tent isn't tiny, but it has a 3" comfy mattress covering the entire floor and can be setup and ready to go in literally 5 minutes, including the rain fly. And without the struts on it is heavy, but I can open it. To elaborate on a comment earlier, with the tent deployed to the driver side, and with the lid hinged to open from the passenger side, I can open the lid even with the tent deployed. Just bought some gaskets at Lowes and pulled the wheels. I also picked up 2 of Chukwagens MTR's today and will have them mounted on my black steelies and on the trailer by tomorrow night. Looks like they will fit without any fender trimming. :up:

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!