Getting the bark out from between my rim and tire

• First I am goin to put a disclaimer on this one.... I take no responsibility for anything that happens if you try this. I saw it on TV...and you know how those stories usually end.

After coming home from RC last week....I had a bunch of bark stuck between my back passenger rim and tire. This also happened last year at the end of the season and my tire leaked all winter. So this year before I put the jeep away for the season.... I figured I would fix it. So I remember seeing on a TV show that you can dismount your tire using a hi-lift jack and another vehicle....I put the tire on the ground...Let the air out and jacked it up using my Dodge Ram as a lift point. The tire dismounted fairly easily after getting the right angle on the jack and tire. It did lift the truck considerably. So heres where the fun starts...introduce fire. Years ago...I watched another TV show on an expedition to Alaska. During the expedition, the truck lost a bead and the way they remounted the tire seemed interesting so I thought I would try it. This would be the second time I have done this....once on the trail and once at my house. On the trail we lost the bead....replaced it with a spare and waited till lunch to try to re-seat. So the tire is on the tire carrier on the back of a CJ. We leave it mounted there, remove the valve from the stem, proceed to spray a bit of starting fluid into the gap between the rim and tire. We throw a match at it and .......booooooom!!! The tire looked like it was going to jump right off the carrier....so then it catches fire and we blow it out. We didn't figure on it catching on fire and we were all laughing thinking that the driver may have to back the jeep into lake christy since we were parked right next to it. Luckily we fanned it out....but an afterthought....your wheeling around and gas is probably leaking out of the back on steep inclines....that could get ugly quick. It worked great though...we aired the tire back up and continued on. So yesterday I decide...it worked the first time, why not try again. So I do the same thing, but I think I got a lil carried away with the starting fluid....I put it on the ground, sprayed the fluid in, threw a match at it, and booooooom!!!! The tire jumped a bit, and started getting bigger and bigger, air was rushing out of the removed valve, and I thought she was gonna blow...can u imagine, blowing up a 37" tire in your backyard.....I was starting to think, "I did this way to close to the house". Anyway after about a minute of waiting...which seemed like 5 minutes, everything looked ok and I cautiously went over and checked it out.....success! Tire mounted.

• I do it at lest 1 a week at work on big truck tires, Its like everything else, after a while you can do it with your eyes closed. I do remember when my brother and I was kids we helped my dad do his tires and my brother lost his eye brows ;D O and arm hair..

We stand up the tire and spray between the tire and the rim and make a trail of spray out onto the sidewall. Just lite the little trail and stand back with the air chuck on the valve stem.
    "Not saying anyone should try it, thats just how I do it."

• Or use a tire hammer or slide bar and only brake the side with bark in it. It will go back on with just air. That would probably be better and safer...

• Wow...lots of negativity on this one... :shrug:

I'll confirm it works, done it a number of times...just make sure if you've got someone watching w/ a fire extinguisher that they don't get a itchy trigger finger. Wanderlust doused me with an extinguisher on a ride when I demo'd this with one of my MJ's Iroks after I lost a bead a long time ago at PAP. :laughing:

--Ian

• Now that I actually know people who did this successfully I'm might try it myself some day.

My son will get a kick out of it.

"Hey, hold my diet coke. I want to try something." :innocent:

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• here is alittle to much haha

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

here is just the rite amount

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• External Content www.youtube.com

Holy sheet that was crazy. I love how right before he lights it he runs back in for a final shot of spray like it needed it.

• I've done it with quad tires but never a large tire. We always carry starter fluid while riding quads. It's amazing how many times you can break a bead on an offroad tire. :laughing: :laughing:

Former V.P. (2006-2007)
    V.P. of Jeeps for Joy (2004-2010)
    President of Jeeps for Joy (2010-2012)
    Beater Build Winning Driver (2009)

• I just went and watched those video's. I'll say this. Some of the related video's say it's done with WD-40. Not true. You CAN NOT do it with WD-40. It's not explosive enough.

I've tried it and all you'll do is catch the tire on fire!

Former V.P. (2006-2007)
    V.P. of Jeeps for Joy (2004-2010)
    President of Jeeps for Joy (2010-2012)
    Beater Build Winning Driver (2009)

• It looks to me like it seated fine....after it initially "blows up" it the tire does start to do some weird things....I think it creates a vacuum inside the tire and starts to pull it back from the rim. I have seen a couple vids where guys were standing by with air and hit it right away...maybe they have had the tire unmount itself from the vacuum??? not sure.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!