GWNF Trail Ride: April 29 - May 1, 2005

• Quote from "SarasGP"

Hey Keith - How many more days?

Fourteen and counting.

At seven I'll probably go ahead and start warming the Jeep up. :smile:

Did anyone tell you to bring a couple light-sticks ? :disturbed:

• It's cold in them thar hills - but camping anyway.

Yeah Keith - I heard about the Deliverance guys. I figure my 4 D-cell MagLite light stick will appease them (upside their heads :yevil: )

Anybody watching CSI? A Hummer just ran over a Fiero - that's about all those Yuppie-mobiles are good for. I heard that in order to buy a Hummer you're required to have more money than brains :laughing:

If it&#39;s not dirty, I&#39;m not having fun!<br /><br />&#39;97 TJ SE 5 speed 4 banger - NO BLING<br /><br />REAL JEEPS HAVE 2 DOORS!

• Quote from "DEJeepman"

How many people are staying at the hotel vs. camping? It's still in the 30's here at night so I am leaning toward the hotel but I don't want to be the only one leaving after dinner.

oh come awn!!! your gonna miss the fun!!!! the party doesnt start till after dinner!!!

• Tentative trail ride (this is paraphrased from an email I received from a guy familiar with the area):

We'll be going up to the top of Flagpole Knob. There are two off-pavement ways up - via Union Springs (Rt 933 and FR225) or via Dunkle Hollow and Switzer Dam. I personally like to go up via Union Springs because it's
    more interesting traveling in that way.

Both trails are accessed from Route 33.

Flagpole Knob is at elevation 4300 feet - with a 360° view of the area. If we start up the trail at about 9 or 10am you will reach the top in time for lunch and have plenty of time to come back down.

Union Springs brings us up the mountain on the side that is sunny in the morning. The trail is mostly dirt road the first part of the way, then gets rougher at Chestnut Ridge where the Stone Camp Road branches off to travel along a high ridge to the top. There is one descent that requires attention but not heavy-duty vehicles. Not long after that there is a hill that is rough near the top, again requiring attention but not special equipment. We will be spotting at the top for anyone who has not run the trail as the left side of the trail is very narrow and could be overshot if someone was not paying attention. That would just mean falling off a
    cliff.

After that, the trails runs along the top of the narrow ridge with great views all the way to the top.

The Dunkle Hollow/Switzer Dam side is a basic road all the way to the top with no views because of the trees.

• Quote from "DrJ"

We will be spotting at the top for anyone who has not run the trail as the left side of the trail is very narrow and could be overshot if someone was not paying attention. That would just mean falling off a
    cliff.

:sniffle: :sniffle:

Is that the hill we climbed last time where you spotted me up?

And I hope you aren't serious about that falling off a cliff thing. I'm deathly afraid of heights so much that now my heart is racing a little bit. :(
    but then I could have had too much coffee this morning. :)

• That depends... did I do a good job of spotting you?

If "YES", then of course it was me.

If "NO", it was Keith.

...either way, that was the spot.

• Quote from "Patti"

Well I made it up the hill and didn't fall off. I didn't notice that I could have fallen off. good grief!!

Oh, it WAS close to the edge Patti. But a driver would have to floor it and screw up the line really badly, but it would be possible to roll off the cliff. You were just so intent on looking at me, you missed the "view" to your left. With fewer leaves this time... you'll see it!

Anyone that's new to this...don't read this post! Patti is much more aggressive behind the wheel than anyone else in the club, and often risks her life and vehicle just for cheap thrills. You won't fall off any cliffs!!!

...there, that should do it.

DrJ :rollsmile:

• Quote from "DEJeepman"

How many people are staying at the hotel vs. camping? It's still in the 30's here at night so I am leaning toward the hotel but I don't want to be the only one leaving after dinner.

I will be staying at the hotel also...

• Quote from "Patti"

And I hope you aren't serious about that falling off a cliff thing. I'm deathly afraid of heights so much that now my heart is racing a little bit. :(
    but then I could have had too much coffee this morning. :)

Hey Patti - It's not the falling that bothers me, it's the landing :roll:
    But I'm with you on the heart racing part :tup: (And the coffee) :help:

If it&#39;s not dirty, I&#39;m not having fun!<br /><br />&#39;97 TJ SE 5 speed 4 banger - NO BLING<br /><br />REAL JEEPS HAVE 2 DOORS!

• Quote from "wtyarnall"

Whats the food situation, pretty much bring your own?

I will be frying up a turkey on Friday night up at the DE4WD camp. If anyone is interested in having some fried turkey with us, let me know so I can guage how big of a bird(s) to buy. All are welcome, just BYOB.

• Anybody know what the record is for pages on one post? :read:

• Quote from "SarasGP"

Anybody know what the record is for pages on one post? :read:

hmmmm i dont know but i think it was the last gwnf ride thread so steve gets it either way heheheh.

nnnnmmmmm turkey and beer!!!!!! cant wait!

• YEAH! I am in for this ride now!! I'll be going with the Fri 9am Dover group, and camping (need to get an air mattress this time, and maybe a tent heater?).

Can't wait, this is a fun trip.

Other than the turkey fry Friday night (which I might have to get in on), what's everyone else bringing for food?

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!