rock and a hard place with yj

• 88 yj-well power steering mount cracked alternator has cracked bolt hole and went through 2 quarts of oil in 250 miles. didnt see any blue smoke that would tell me it was burning oil. so.....255k, rust, etc., any suggestions? and if i do sell it what should i ask. got family roll cage, wheels from wolverines old jeep, windshield isnt rusted, lots of new stuff, tranny 30k? on it. ugh my oldest son isnt taking this well either! I dont want to get rid of it, if i had my dithers. also have black front clip that hasnt been installed.

• isnt worth much id say, well at least to sell. mind as well keep it for the kid. it will give him something to fix up along the way, or maybe something the two of ya can do with each other :shrug: :up:

• The two cracks you should be able to get welded up. Call Dave (85cj7) and see if he'll do it for you. Shouldn't take too long. Call me if you want his number. As far as oil goes. Just keep a case in the back. Drive it till it blows up!!!! Robert will understand if it blows up. Like was said above. If it blows up, throw a used motor in it. :razz:

Former V.P. (2006-2007)
    V.P. of Jeeps for Joy (2004-2010)
    President of Jeeps for Joy (2010-2012)
    Beater Build Winning Driver (2009)

• Pull the head and replace the rings and bearings. It's not that hard really.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Yeah I was actually thinking of pulling the head and doing all that. what can it hurt eh? the alternator also has a picec missing where the rear bolt goes in, (np). the mount is two pieces and the front one has a piece missing. Jim Diamond in NJ has hte mount and wants $50 for it gotta drive and get it. I really want to keep it. woke up this morning and you know that feeling like puting your dog down...Spoke wiht my wife who is in BARABDOS!!! and said well lets talk about it...that was promising! any way thnks for input and thoughts! adios

• hey nick can you get into the site i rgeistered but cant get email from home just work email. I need the p/seering pump mount lemme know thanks for help

• hey nick can you get into the site i rgeistered but cant get email from home just work email. I need the p/seering pump mount lemme know thanks for help

theres a junk yard called b&h on rt 40 right past elkton, md. they have some yj 4 bangers in there. but u could get the part for almost nothing. and if u need the power steering bracket welded bring it over to my place and ill weld it for you. im in pike creek

• looking for a used motor now, going to do some checks on it first before we throw the towel in on it. so...any 2.5 4cyls around?
    thanks PeF

• ok rings and bearings shot, looking for engine, 4 cyl gonna keep it as it is cant afford allthe wirting etc going with a 6 cyl. will post up. thnaks for help.PeF

• Hey Pete sorry that I have not called you . If you need me to help out I will . If I were you I would find another motor for your jeep . It would only take a day or so to do the swap . And we can do it hear at the house .
    http://allentown.craigslist.org/pts/1590882326.html

http://baltimore.craigslist.org/pts/1581918165.html

http://harrisburg.craigslist.org/pts/1601333425.html

85 cj7 4" suspension 1" body lift on 33X13.50 swampers , Ford 9" / arb , t18 trans , dana 300 t case , and a efi 5.0 from a 93 gt . ( soon to have dana 44 and arb in the front )

Edited once, last by 85cj7 ().

• bump

85 cj7 4" suspension 1" body lift on 33X13.50 swampers , Ford 9" / arb , t18 trans , dana 300 t case , and a efi 5.0 from a 93 gt . ( soon to have dana 44 and arb in the front )

• well the jeep will be back on the road monday. new engine, waterpump, and a few wires. 92.4 cyl with 87k on it, cleaned up well and is going to be startted tomorrow. WOO HOO, driving by all the jeeps on the road and I want to wave but cant in my VW. tops commin off as soon as i get her home!

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!