torque arm question

• I am replacing the tranny mount and torque arm bushings on an '82 CJ7. I was going to build up the torque arm stud the way that it was when I took it apart, but the PO's work is questionable and I wanted to make sure I put it together correctly. From the top down I have it as: nut, lock washer, fender washer, bushing, torque arm, bushing, fender washer, nut on stud, crossmember lock washer, nut. It seems like it is not correct, because there is nearly a 1/2" of play between the larger sections of the bushings (in other words, the bushings aren't tightened down against the torque arm.) .

My question is.... Is that space supposed to be there to allow for a bit of travel when the tranny torques, or should the bushings be snug against the torque arm?

Any ideas?

• Yes I believe that space is there for a reason, perhaps to take allow some play so as not to tear apart the motor mounts.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• The stud is suppose to be loose. It allows for tranny movement, but prevents excessive movement.

Aaron

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!