Driving on the Beach

• 4lo start in second shift to third when you get rolling, down shift to second when you slow to park. Been doing that for four years now from 30's to 33's as the jeep transformed, never been stuck, never had a problem, never aired down, I run 26-28psi on the street.

1997 TJ 4 banger 5 speed, 4.88's, detroit tru track in the front d30, RE 3.5,OME shocks, JKS 1.25" BL, 33" BFG A/T's, Llama bumpers tire carrier, Hi lift

• 4lo start in second shift to third when you get rolling, down shift to second when you slow to park. Been doing that for four years now from 30's to 33's as the jeep transformed, never been stuck, never had a problem, never aired down, I run 26-28psi on the street.

I pretty much do the same although I can't tell ya what psi I'm running and I've been doing it since '05.

And be careful stopping on the surf side of any berms.

It can be a bitch to get back up over them from a stop. (Trust me, I know)

• Explain, please. At 3mph I don't see how hitting the brakes is going to dig any measurable amount.

any kind of build up of sand that comes from hitting your brakes in the sand is just another lump you have to go back over, if your theory and concept is to make the dirt hard and packed down, yet hit your breaks to stop from reverse, sand is by no means pavement, so by no means do you stop rather firmly, and that makes a little rut to get out of when your tires slide back with your brakes on, any kind of bump that you have to get over from a stop in the sand, makes things a lot tougher, and results in the above picture.

similar results from hitting brakes to come to a stop when parking would look something like this..now of course its not terrible and he probably wont get stuck, but notice the mounds it makes in front of the tires, is what sal was trying to say

1997 TJ 4 banger 5 speed, 4.88's, detroit tru track in the front d30, RE 3.5,OME shocks, JKS 1.25" BL, 33" BFG A/T's, Llama bumpers tire carrier, Hi lift

• I really dont think you can actually pack dry sand either.. Pretty much acts like a liquid to some degree. Now if the sand is wet...

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• I really dont think you can actually pack dry sand either.. Pretty much acts like a liquid to some degree. Now if the sand is wet...

What are tire tracks then? I'm not saying make a sand castle out of it but the sand in tire tracks is more dense than untouched beach.

I dunno, I don't think hitting your brakes at such a low speed is going to pile the sand up more than a fraction of an inch. Besides, if it did it would be in the direction you are traveling so you go forward 10 feet, create a miniscule pile and then you go back 10 feet and create one behind you. Point is the area in front of your tires, the direction you will be going when you leave, is clear. Maybe it's all in my head but I've never been stuck on the sand so I'll keep doing it. :driving:

• Actaully the sand with the deep tracks are the softest...

And yes when you hit your brakes. Its best to back up and get a little movement. Youll be amazed when you get stuck on flat land cause you didnt back up after hitting the brakes.

96 Jeep Grand Cherokee: <br />4.0L - 4.5&quot; Long Arm - D44&#039;s Locked - 33&quot; M/TR&#039;s <br />XRC 8K Winch - Daily Beater / Offroad Machine<br />1970 Chevy Nova: Rowdy Street Car

• Simply put. its all about flotation and nothing else. Been driving on the beach for 13 years.. air down and have never have any issues with packing sand and what not.

You can..

Air down and float on top of the sand and NEVER have any of these issues

or

dont air down and plow through sand and risk digging in .

Your choice.

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!