• well get it back from the shop for the trans 2 weeks ago and then got a valve tap today. :upset: :cuss: :censored: :cuss: :censored: :upset: :bang:

ok i feel better. anyways if i where to get a head from a junkyard and switch it out will that take care of my issue? or will i need to replace something else? could it be lifters? what parts will i need? are there any recommendations to what i should do while i have the head off? (i am considering getting the head ported)

if i were to get a second engine is there a certain block i need. i think i remember someone talking about differences.

PS 99 jeep xj 4.0 MT np231

.,=======o00o<br />//__|__l__,\___\,___<br />l_---\__|__|---&#91;]lllllll&#91;] _<br />(o)_)____(o)_)--o-)_)__

• Could be a sticky lifter. Could be a collapsed lifter.

Does it always do it, or just when cold?

Don't waste money on porting. The 4.0 isn't going to benefit from that.

• I sometimes have noisy lifters, and still do at times. I used to run 5-quarts of 10w30 Castrol / with a quart of Lucas, and it worked great as for keeping them quiet, most of the time, but this past Spring, I started running 20w50 wally world brand oil, and works just as good.

Winter time is different. I usually run 10w30, but hear more lifter noise than I want to..

I'll be trying maybe 10w40, or some 15w40 diesel oil.

Jeep engines are great,,, Except for their crappy ass valve lifters, and rings !!! ( Carter BBD carbs suck too )

• Maybe try adding a little of this to the oil.http://www.marvelmysteryoil.com/index.php/site/mmo/

Neill

In a perfect world every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog.

• Ive got a constant tap in my cherokee. Using heavier oil made the tap worse. I tried Lukas and it was still the same. Ended up putting 5w30 and a quart of marvel mystery oil and I quieted up for a little while. Now it's back. I've gotten used to it. It still runs great and gets the same milage So I don't care much.....

2000 Sahara, All custom...
    2000 Cherokee Police package, Beater....

I may be slowest and the stupidest

• i know this is not the same engine but it sounds like this

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

.,=======o00o<br />//__|__l__,\___\,___<br />l_---\__|__|---&#91;]lllllll&#91;] _<br />(o)_)____(o)_)--o-)_)__

• OK all it could be is lifters. my question is can i change all of the lifters with out changing the cam?

• could you, well I guess you could but I don't know about the wear pattern on the cam. It would suck to go threw all of that head ache and then have to do it all over again with a new cam. I just replaced the cam and lifters in my XJ, it was not all that hard. Pull the hole front end first and everything else that follows is made that much easier. I just put this cam in http://www.summitracing.com/parts/DCC-4529228AB/. It runs fine with the stock valve train and seems to have more low end torque. I have noticed it most when pulling in 4 low down the beach, or pulling the boat. Its what some people would call a RV cam. Plus if you look at the prices its $17.95 per lifter on the summit site that's $215 in just lifters, the lifter and cam package that I got with the same lifters is $230.

Just a thought
    Andy

i think im going to just drop in a new motor and rebuild this one as a stroker plus i plan on adding a turbo so i can beef up this engine for more psi.

anyone have a running 4.0 they would like to part with before i go engine hunting?

Edited once, last by rstiles ().

• my 2.5 had a bad tap
    but it was the exhaust manifolf that was cracked :driving:
    jeep motors are famious for cracking the exhaust
    may want to look it over

• For some strange reason, my Jeeps lifters make the most noise after an oil & filter change. Lasts for roughly two weeks, then pretty much goes away till I change it again. Guess it doesn't like new oil. :shrug:

Had an old pickup that did the same thing.

Can anyone explain this ?

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!