U-JOINTS

• WHAT!?!?!? that was my understanding and supporting post....you couldnt feel the warm and fuzzy effect that it was intended to have????

• Quote from "certk9"

if you dont have the mechanical ability to figure out how things work....give it up.......you aint gonna get it. :)

How the hell are you going to learn without breaking stuff first (unless you get lucky)? That's when mechanical ability and understanding grows the most. Heck, I got so many broken parts that I must be a professional by now! :rollsmile:

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• I didnt say anything about breaking parts. I was talking about mechanical inclination. You have it or you dont. you may refine it or make it better but you dont learn that, its like common sense, you dont learn that you may learn from mistakes but common sense would probably have kept you out of that jam.
    brains and common sense are not the same and it proves its self on the board everyday. there is always some brain child over thinking what are some of the simplest things. for example....all this of frickin u joints. all the engineering degrees in the world cant make you mechanically inclined and most of them can barely tie their own damn shoes but they will tell you what the tensil strength of a shoe string is.
    the problem is people buy cute little tj's because they think they are cute little convertables then they want to man up and go wheelin'. And then everyone gets all technical about backspacing and gear ratio's and first aid kits and tow points and dont lift till you can drive and you must do rocks cause rocks are the only 4 wheelin and pinion angles and shear loads on friggin carrier bolts and tie rod angles and jesus christ just drive the damn thing!!!!!!! :soapbox: :soapbox: :soapbox: :soapbox:

it is just frustrating seeing this go on here all the time. over anal-izing (yes i meant to spell it that way) every damn thing. just try it, if it doesnt work try something else....thats how you learn...not buy taking 20 people's opinion. will you waste money yes, thats life. will you learn why you wasted the money, you should. telling people they need 14 band aids, 1 tube cream, 1 ace and a cb is nit picky crap. Wheel the damn thing

I know some of this doesnt make sense because im ranting but most of you know what im talking about, we are Jeepers not friggin sissy ass, cant ride on a rough tire,(even though im in a friggin jeep) tree huggers. act like it!!!!!!!

......I needed that... and how is that for understanding and supportive... tell it like it is... im done... have a fine day

• learning from other poeples mistakes is using common sense...
    asking questions when you dont know what you are doing is using common sense

Discussing topics of interest is called learning and people with common sense do it.....

it is just frustrating seeing this go on here all the time. over anal-izing (yes i meant to spell it that way) every damn thing. just try it, if it doesnt work try something else....thats how you learn...not buy taking 20 people's opinion. will you waste money yes, thats life. will you learn why you wasted the money, you should.

why spend a ton of money doing things that other people have already done and have figured out doesnt work when all you had to do was ask the question in the first place and save your self some money.... this doesnt sound like common sense it sounds stupid... i will ask my questions and I will over analize everything to get it right the first time and save myself some dough... I dont have a ton of money to just waste on learning when a simple interweb search or question would have saved me some money...

I really dont know what the hell your rant is about except that you must be smarter than everyone else... if we are all a bunch of pussy jeepers why are you on the board other than to sell all your stuff I really dont understand why you still come here

all bow to the all mighty certk9

• Quote from "certk9"

it is just frustrating seeing this go on here all the time. over anal-izing (yes i meant to spell it that way) every damn thing. just try it, if it doesnt work try something else....thats how you learn...not buy taking 20 people's opinion. will you waste money yes, thats life. will you learn why you wasted the money, you should. telling people they need 14 band aids, 1 tube cream, 1 ace and a cb is nit picky crap. Wheel the damn thing

I enjoy the discussions and opinions (well MOST of them) on this board and have learned quite a bit and have maybe even passed on some knowledge to others.

If actually understanding the dynamics of why something works or doesn't work is too much for you to comprehend then don't read the post, but as a DUES PAYING, SUPPORTING MEMBER of this club, I will post whatever I please whether you find it worthy of your time or not.

And you have a fine day. :wavey:

• Right I am a newbie, I have changed enough U-joints and ball joints to know that I wanted to spend $35.00 on a tool to make my life easier. If you do not want to spend $35.00 than don't but do not critisize someones mechanical abilites because they buy the proper tools. Go to a real shop I would damn well bet the mechanics don't use hammers and screwdrivers to change out U-joints. If they did I can gurantee my vehicle would not go there.

I guess real jeeps have tractor tires on them ::xmasgrin

• certk9

You are a guest here. If you have a problem with an individual, Pm that person. If you have a problem with the club in general, get up with our president.

I am a fairly new member here, and I have found this to be a nice place. If you don't think so, then please leave!

Thank you,
    Simon

• I personally know that the reason I am a member HERE is because of the people and the time and care they take to make this club the best. We all start out somewhere in life and I agree that sometimes lifes lessons are best learned first hand. BBUUUTTT isn't it smarter to learn from someone elses mistakes before making your own.
    If you don't care to listen to someone elses advise thats your option. As for the rest of us, when we ask a question that may seem stupid to you, we appreciate someone out there with a little more knowledge to give us an answer without making us feel stupid.
    As everyone else pretty much stated "If you don't like it don't read it" :soapbox:
    Oh and have a nice day :wavey:

Former V.P. (2006-2007)
    V.P. of Jeeps for Joy (2004-2010)
    President of Jeeps for Joy (2010-2012)
    Beater Build Winning Driver (2009)

• I do agree that some people seem to have mechanical ability and some don't. But that doesn't mean that those that don't are not capable of learning, if they really want to. The only way to really do it is by asking questions, doing some research, and then getting your hands dirty. I've learned a lot by working on my Jeep. I've made plenty of mistakes too. But one of the benefits of belonging to a club such as this is that there is generally someone who can help in some way. Heck, you've helped some of us at some point and time yourself.

Didn't this thread start about U-joints? It's funny how topics can get derailed.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Quote from "certk9"

the problem is people buy cute little tj's because they think they are cute little convertables then they want to man up and go wheelin'.

Why's it always got to be a tj thing :hmm:

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!