DEJA Trail Ride: Rausch Creek February 19th (Presidents Day Weekend)

• Forecast for Rausch Creek on Saturday is high of 36 degrees, partly cloudy and windy. I was hoping this warm weather would last until tomorrow, but it's not to be.

When engaged in conversation with a fool, be sure he is not similarly engaged.
    Chief, DEJA Grammar Police

• I'll be there around 8 A.M. Looking forward to this. See u all there. Just look for the blue TJ. :driving:

If I wanted a Hummer I would of asked you sister!<br /> <br />2006 Golden Eagle with not much Golden Eagle left. 2008 JK Wrangler Sahara stocker. Formiely DKGoldenEagle

• have fun, everyone!

~ JD
    * WARNING - The above post may contain trace elements of biting sarcasm. Those with known sensitivities should avoid staring directly at it.

• One word sums up today: windy

The sun was out and it wasn't that bad when the wind died down or you got into some tree cover but in the parking lot and other open areas the wind had to have been pushing 50mph. Crazy. I was really happy there was still a decent amount of snow on the ground. Parts of 12c and H were ice skating rinks which made things really fun.

Last year sometime after wheeling my steering wheel went from 15-20 degrees or so off center to about 60-70 degrees (which really freaks some people out in the passenger seat). Whatever I did today put it back to almost perfectly center, nothing was bent on the earlier trips and everything looked good at a quick glance today. Sweet...I think this is my first RC trip where I had less stuff to fix at the end of the day.

• Like Stafford was saying, it was very windy, but still a great trip. It was good to get back on the trails. Rich did a great job guiding our group all day with Ian, Elff and Stafford and myself. My daughter Grace had a great time as well, only exception was when she learned dad left the lunch back at the truck in the parking lot. Good times!

jason

• As Rick James would have said, it was "too damn cold to get funky!" This was my first winter trail ride, as well as my first with four in the TJ -- a bit cramped but fun. A tip of the hat to shorebird for steering us through the maze of trails. I managed to make it back to Delaware with nothing worse than some rock rash on my Mickey Thompson rims. JeepsterJK reminded me that if I'm going to whine about the rims I might as well leave the TJ in the garage... and he's right! Thanks to Scott for being my co-pilot. I never once had to use my manwrench! :up:

With the temp and the wind, on many parts of the trails it was brutal. Posing for pictures later on the rock ridge by base camp, it was plain BRUTAL! Here are a few clickable pics from my DEJA gallery:

[/color]I'll be glad to send anyone the full-size pics. (The ones on my gallery are scaled down.) If anyone wants to send me some pics, I'll try to put together a Photobucket slideshow of the trip. [color=#810081]

When engaged in conversation with a fool, be sure he is not similarly engaged.
    Chief, DEJA Grammar Police

Edited once, last by Chief57 ().

• My day started AWESOME
    I lost my brakes on the way to Rausch Creek, of course it was at the top of the long hill 2 streets out of Pine Grove [Tree] the town just before you get to Rausch.
    I'm SOOOO glad I have a 5 speed.
    Turns out my passenger rear line disintegrated and was spurting fluid. I always carry spares, so I limped it gingerly to the convenience store and swapped it out in the parking lot.
    After that everything went smooth. Jeep felt great on the new Coils. Cutting brakes worked well and Ian and I were successful in living up the Slow and The Stupid name and actually had to turn around on one red side trail we failed to conquer.
    Like Stafford stated, the green trails were ICY and tricky. Meanwhile the Black rock trails were fairly easy because the Rocks were all melted and provided traction. Kind of backwards. :beer:
    I aired up at the convenience store. WAAY Less wind.

Fun Day. Can't wait to go again.

• It was great day on the trails minus the wind. Special thanks to Joann for driving my jeep! I took lots of pics and will send them to Jim so he can post up a slideshow for all to see.

• Anytime girl! I had a BLAST. Thanks for letting Joseph ride and hope your paw heals up quickly!
    We all had another awesome time out on the trails, with very little trail damage I might add. Correct me if I'm wrong on any of this... Thanks as always to shorebird for being an expert guide and making sure we didn't end up winching from tree to tree like some other groups we encountered. He took one of tmiller's passengers, as did Daddanelena and DKGoldenEagle. Chief57 noticed early on he was missing a track bar bolt, and as it happened Daddanelena later also sheared one off which was quickly replaced. DKGoldenEagle and us (repeatedly :innocent: ) took the bypass as the rest of the guys ran with the big boys on Boot Hill where they spent a few long bone-chillingly cold minutes getting tmiller out of a good little spot when his front locker decided to quit on a patch of ice. After rejoining more of DEJA on Snakebite and near Lake Christie, our group tried to get out of the wind for lunch down in the Quarry. DKGoldenEagle needed another little tug out from tmiller down at the bottom while shorebird showed just what his rig is capable of as he climbed the steep hillside there. We also watched an unsuccessful yet slightly entertaining attempt on the fresh snow on Shoot the Moon (nobody from our groups). We got rolling out of there and made our way to Yellowjacket then on towards the West property which was logjammed on "O". Thanks for the CB once again tmiller! We headed back up Power Line and decided to end the chills for the day with a warm dinner at O'Neals. Everybody got home ok as far as I know. Joseph and I had alot of fun in Hershey the next day, although the Bears lost 0-5 to the Charlotte Checkers, it was exciting for our first hockey game! 'Til next month's ride!

• Thanks for doing the report, JoAnn (you're spoiling me)!! The only correction I have is that the "log jam" was on "H", and you didn't take ALL the by-passes. I was surprised at the amount of snow that was still on the ground in the at the park, which makes the trails more interesting. I had a blast as usual! I'll try to make the March ride, but definitely the Club Comp and Jeep 101 in April. See you all then.

Randy

'88 YJ, 4" suspension, 2"body lift, 456 locked F & R, 35-12.50-15 BFG KM2s on Cragar Soft 8's
    &'03 KJ, 2"+ shackle lift, armor, BBs, 245-70-16 BFG A/T TAs

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!