Sold the cummins..considering an XJ?

• My baby is on her way to Kentucky as we speak, as a 22 year old girl and her diesel nut boyfriend flew in yesterday to Philly, drove it around, thought about it, decided yes, and well left with it today.

sigh.

Anyhow, I'm looking for something with some more room in it then a wrangler, and have been searching hard for a 96+ 3.4L Tacoma, but being as these trucks run forever, no one wants to get rid of them, thus not many for sale.

I'm starting to consider an XJ, like I said, something with some more room then the wrangler. What do I need to keep an eye out for? Years/makes/models/rear axles/front axles.

So what do ya got for me DEJA?

1997 TJ 4 banger 5 speed, 4.88's, detroit tru track in the front d30, RE 3.5,OME shocks, JKS 1.25" BL, 33" BFG A/T's, Llama bumpers tire carrier, Hi lift

• I guess altierior and I are the main XJ guys here... spend some time on NAXJA.org , there's a ton of knowledge there.

97+ are the "new" models, updated exterior and interior very similar to TJs. Same engine options as TJs as well, and I believe the same manual trans options. Auto trans (for 4.0 engine) is a lot better, people have gone 300,000 miles with no issues. 99 is considered the "best year" since it has the HP30 front axle, high-flow intake manifold and still has the 0630 head. In 2000 they switched to the LP30 axle that the TJs have, and started using the crack-prone 0331 head.

Look for one without anti-lock brakes, since most of those (maybe all) have the Chrysler 8.25 axle. It's a c-clip setup, but a lot stronger than the D35, usually rated just under a D44. Strong overall, good diff and 3" tubes. The left/right shafts are the same length so you only need to carry one spare. Most people say it's good up to 33s with a locker and 35s without. I've got 35s and a locker and have abused it and haven't snapped a shaft (yet, I have two spare shafts!), so it's a definitely a strong axle. All rear axles have drum brakes, but there are kits out there to switch to disc brakes or you can DIY with parts from a ZJ D35. Front has the same brakes as a TJ.

Models are pretty much just trim packages, leather vs canvas seats, cruise control, etc. "Fully loaded" models had the NP242 transfer case that included a "full-time 4x4" option. Less aftermarket support (pretty much no upgrades) but you can still do the "hack and tap" SYE. Beyond that, the drivetrain is basically the same as a TJ, just with leaf springs and more interior space (but still kinda cramped).

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• ^ what he said ^

~ JD
    * WARNING - The above post may contain trace elements of biting sarcasm. Those with known sensitivities should avoid staring directly at it.

• Great info, thanks! And sal thanks, it was my baby, 64mm turbo, injectors,fuel and the works, similar set ups arare25-650 to the wheels running 12.8s, so it was a fun vehicle, but financially I need to start saving in places I can, picking up an xj for 5-8k versus paying on a 25k truck just financially makes more sense in this case

1997 TJ 4 banger 5 speed, 4.88's, detroit tru track in the front d30, RE 3.5,OME shocks, JKS 1.25" BL, 33" BFG A/T's, Llama bumpers tire carrier, Hi lift

• 99 is considered the "best year" since it has the HP30 front axle, high-flow intake manifold and still has the 0630 head. In 2000 they switched to the LP30 axle that the TJs have, and started using the crack-prone 0331 head.

don't let that cause you to dismiss the '00s and '01s.

if you are going to lift it and wheel it, the lp30 vs the hp30 is a consideration. if you are not going to modify the XJ, then the pinion is a non-issue.

regarding the head: imo, 'crack-prone' sounds more ominous than is warranted. it does happen more than with the older heads, but it is still pretty infrequent, and in the cases when it does, it gets discussed on the forums a lot, making it seem like a much bigger and more widespread problem than it really is.

~ JD
    * WARNING - The above post may contain trace elements of biting sarcasm. Those with known sensitivities should avoid staring directly at it.

• Strictly DD, and will only see the beach. Looking for something with a mild lift and 31s or so, something like quadna just picked up whenever he got that xj

• Ok then look for a nice one with the lowest miles. Just make sure the cooling system is in good shape, overheating is what cracks the head. Creature comfort problems to look for, check the A/C, the evaporator is known to be weak on the later models are leaks. Only $200 in parts to fix, but with shop labor it'll be over 1000. Did mine myself last year. Started leaking in 2006, couldn't hold a refill charge in 2008. The wires in the door can crack making the door speaker stop working, but simple enough to fix. Also for the drivers door, the "door catch" bracket wears out making a lot of noise when you open/close it. Also with the door, make sure it lines up with the latch correctly. The hinges can wear out and cause the door to sag. My brothers XJ was a work vehicle and the hinge and catch are worn out. Along with the seat. The other doors and seats are fine.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

• Strictly DD, and will only see the beach. Looking for something with a mild lift and 31s or so, something like quadna just picked up whenever he got that xj

Ok then look for a nice one with the lowest miles.

agreed. and the latest year possible, '00 or '01 is your best bet, imo.

~ JD

• Also for the drivers door, the "door catch" bracket wears out making a lot of noise when you open/close it.

and i thought it was just me. i can wake my neighbors when i open my door in the morning. :bang:

~ JD

• Quadratec started carrying replacement door catches a couple months ago. Around 60/ea I think. On the red XJ above, check the fluids. If the coolant is dirty (look at the overflow bottle for stains, and transmission fluid should be red) try to talk him down closer to 4000-4500, depending on the interior wear. If it's all good, 5000 is a fair price.

Jerry / Whatevah

• Quadratec started carrying replacement door catches a couple months ago. Around 60/ea I think. On the red XJ above, check the fluids. If the coolant is dirty (look at the overflow bottle for stains, and transmission fluid should be red) try to talk him down closer to 4000-4500, depending on the interior wear. If it's all good, 5000 is a fair price.

$60 each? Your talking about the gold anodized catch in the door jam? Ive got 4 of them in my "Magical bolt bin" from when i parted out an xj.... Who knew I was sitting on $240? :innocent:

Just a little extra info....The underhood wiring on the 97 are a mishmash of new and old style harnesses...Lots of the plugs are different. So mixing and matching parts from 98 and up xjs is a pain in the but. The power door lock switches/ window switches are a common failure. If you get and auto, do yourself a favor and put a trans cooler on it immediately. My would get hot and start puking fluid on hot days. Added a cooler and its all good. Like Whatever said, check the door hinges, as they are welded to the uni-body and often crack there. Finally....Not to piss in anyones cornflakes, but 97-and up XJs can be found all over CL for 3k or less in the 100-150k range in really good shape.

2000 Sahara, All custom...
    2000 Cherokee Police package, Beater....

I may be slowest and the stupidest

• Alterior- saw that one, not a fan of red at all though unfortunately.

Vbquick- sold it on competitiondiesel. Was listed both there and cumminsforum. Truck was an absolute beast

• My baby is on her way to Kentucky as we speak, as a 22 year old girl and her diesel nut boyfriend flew in yesterday to Philly, drove it around, thought about it, decided yes, and well left with it today.

Just curious.

Did you send the DE tag with it?

Was your insurance still covering it for their trip home.

Just wondering how that works.

• I would hope not. :laughing: Once the sale was final, it should have been dropped from the PO's insurance and the couple should have called and added it to their insurance. I do believe you can get temp tags at the DMV as well...

I'm going to pick up a Jeep on Tuesday. Already added it to our insurance, switched the title to NJ, and got plates and registration for it. :wavey:

You do own a hairdryer don&#039;t you she asked? Of course I do, he replied, it&#039;s in the driveway, it&#039;s called a Jeep.<br /><br />Current - 97 TJ, 99 WJ, 12 Scion tC<br />Past - 94 ZJ, 02 TJ, 06 Rubicon, 06 XK, 07 Scion tC

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!