*** Shark Fishing Regulations ***

• Not to start a huge debate, but just want to point out some pertinent facts of the new regs. that went into effect 6/11/11.

They can be found: Here

It's pretty clear in several portions of "3541 Atlantic Sharks" that it is illegal to remove a prohibited species, ie: Sand Tiger from the water.

2.1 It shall be unlawful for any hook and line fisherman to remove from the water sandbar shark, or any other species of shark when prohibited from harvest under §3541.

There is no provision for "keeping them close to the water" or "having them out of the water for a minimal time".

And then there is:

6.0 It shall be unlawful to release any shark in the management unit or any sandbar shark in a manner that will not ensure said sharks maximum probability of survival. All species of shark when prohibited from harvest under §3541 must be immediately released.

No provision for taking pictures with the "crew", etc.

Like I said, not trying start a big thing, but do want to make sure everyone understands the laws.

Some are of the opinion that the way the law is written, the angler should go into the water with the shark to disengage the hook.

Maybe as a way to discourage the pursuit of these species. :shrug:

• Smooth dogfish are the ones you can keep in the surf. There the ones cought all the time that have the sand paper type teeth like a skate. Anything with real shark teeth should be treated like a protected species unless you know your sharks well because most are protected and they all look vary similar.

• Smooth dogfish are the ones you can keep in the surf. There the ones cought all the time that have the sand paper type teeth like a skate. Anything with real shark teeth should be treated like a protected species unless you know your sharks well because most are protected and they all look vary similar.

X2.

Mostly they are Sand Tigers, which are protected/prohibited.

• Keith there is actually 3 vary common ones the sand tiger you mentioned, a sandbar, and dusky. All three are protected and the last two look almost identical. Then there are the Black Tip and Spinner sharks which look the same other than a white or black anal fin, and they are both slightly less common and also to stay in the water. There are a few others that are vary rare like the sharp nose and some other more tropical ones that sometimes make it up late in the summer when the water gets warmer. The only ones I have personally caught were the four after the tiger in the 3 to 5 foot range. All I would say is if targeting the larger one be prepared with the right equipment and some help.

• And like I said I've only been at this 2 years trying hard, so there are plenty of people out there that know more on the subject than I do.

• And like I said I've only been at this 2 years trying hard, so there are plenty of people out there that know more on the subject than I do.

And I know very little to nothing about it.

But I do know that it is a hot topic and also know there are plenty of people out there that would love to make a big deal of a protected shark beached on the sand while others ham it up for a group photo.

Just trying to educate those that might want to try it on the laws and regulations.

• Wow, I didn't realize there were that many sharks out there - may think twice about going in the water. Guess I shouldn't have watched Jaws 3 the other day.

x2

If I happen to catch a shark there is no way in hell I'm getting in the water to let it go. I'd cut my line first. :laughing:

• x2

If I happen to catch a shark there is no way in hell I'm getting in the water to let it go. I'd cut my line first. :laughing:

The guys that are catching these sharks are hauling their rigs out at least 100 yards.

Doubt you 2 have too much to worry about. :shark:

• The guys that are catching these sharks are hauling their rigs out at least 100 yards.

Doubt you 2 have too much to worry about. :shark:

And on top of that they aren't interested in humans, they are mostly bottom feeders and scavengers.

Also without using wire rigging your not likely to land anything other than dogfish.

• So if its that time of the month and we're in the water we're still safe??????

Sharks aren't stupid; they'll stay away as much as men will!

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• I was stopped by a ranger two saturdays ago, with my obvious shark fishing gear out. I have a top of the line dehooker, giant cable cutters if the dehooker fails for some reason, and the crew to manage a shark once it is close to the surf, the ranger recognized all of this, I told him I was indeed targeting the smooth dogfish, but in the event another species is landed, all sharks are released in the wash of the surf, and swim away great on their own. He wished me the best of luck and said be safe, no problems whatsoever.

To address some people who are somewhat against landing the sharks or think its unsportsmanlike to have your crew in the picture...the same principle applies to any fisherman out there, and atleast these sharks are getting water with every wave crashed. Fisherman take pictures of their catch, whether its a white marlin or a sailfish boarded on the boat for a quick picture, or if its a big striper during the catch and release season, or a flounder just too small to keep but its your son/daughters first catch/biggest catch yet, its not healthy regardless to have a fish breathing air.

I can assure you that the true sportsmen that actively participate in land based shark fishing have their top priority being the safety of the shark, a fast and efficient release, with a few pictures and a tape measurement during that time. Like any fisherman, we take measurements, I caught a 24" flounder/ a 7'9" shark/ its all the same.

For anyone who is interested in looking into this more, and seeing how it is a nation/worldwide sport this land based sharkfishing..I highly recommend checking out the following sites..

http://Www.sharksonthesand.com

http://Www.tx-sharkfishing.com

1997 TJ 4 banger 5 speed, 4.88's, detroit tru track in the front d30, RE 3.5,OME shocks, JKS 1.25" BL, 33" BFG A/T's, Llama bumpers tire carrier, Hi lift

• I would assume that releasing with the best chance of survival is meant to keep people from clubbing the shark or cutting the fins off. I intend to catch a shark this year, and would more than likely cut the line, rather than risk further injury to shark or myself.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!