*** GWNF Fall 2011 Trip - Oct. 7-9th ***

• Official thread. 2 months away.

If you've been there you know most of the particulars, if you'd like to check it out for the first time, there is info: Here

Sadly, there is little actual off-roading available there anymore.

But the camping is always fun and there are a few trails (roads) that are scenic and should be nice in the fall.

Always a chance of:

So be aware.

More details as it gets closer.

• We already have a camping weekend scheduled for those days at Cherrystone, VA. Boy do we wish we could talk everyone into moving this date, but you can't please everyone. Enjoy everyone. One of these years, we will be back on the trails.

• We already have a camping weekend scheduled for those days at Cherrystone, VA. Boy do we wish we could talk everyone into moving this date, but you can't please everyone. Enjoy everyone. One of these years, we will be back on the trails.

Cherrystone is nice but a little further down Rt 13 is Kiptopeke State Park. http://www.dcr.virginia.gov/state_parks/kip.shtml Nice beach clean bathrooms good people. Cool stuff for kids to do. One of my favorite campgrounds we've ever stayed at.

• Last trip a few of us talked about maybe doing a day trip to the local caverns or something.

Patti and I have been to Smokehole and Luray, but there are several others fairly close by.

Or possibly going to Natural Bridge, although I think it's about a 2 hour drive from Brandywine.

Any interest or other thoughts ?

• It is obviously not the trails anymore although I would like to run a few while we are out there.

I am game for any other entertainment offered.

Edit: Driving is not a problem 2 hours is nothing compared to running trails all day.

• I've been to Natural Bridge, but Patti never has.

If the group doesn't want to do it then we will probably go before the rest of you get there.

Just figured it's better to make a plan now rather than at 9:00am on Friday or Saturday.

• I would be happy to go with you to the bridge I have never been there either.

Alright, so we just need to decide if it will be Fri. or Sat.

I know Jodie and Brian won't be there until late Fri., so if they have no interest then we could head there after you arrive Fri. morning and get set up.

• http://www.naturalbridgeva.com/default.php

Is this the place? If so there are caverns there too and an Indoor Butterfly Garden. We are definitely interested, sounds like a good plan for Saturday. Something else to think about - they have a dinner buffet and wine tasting on Saturday nights! (might have to make reservations for that, not sure)

We will be there late Friday afternoon, taking the kids out early and I'm working a half day.
    On the plus side - baby girl is weaned and sleeping all night :)

• I think this would be a good Saturday trip so everyone can go :)

We can go someplace on Friday and make Bob walk around :razz:

• May not be able to go to the bridge nothing in the brochure says anything about pets. I did send them an email, we will see.

Well I got a reply they allow pets on all the trails and the Bridge. Of course not in the Butterfly Garden or the Caverns. So we are good to go.

• I missed the last GWNF trip, and I know the trail riding situation has deteriorated some, but can someone please summarize what the trail riding plan will be for this upcoming trip? I thought Saturday was the prime trail riding day, but are we putting together a plan to do something else? I'm asking because I'm bringing along a newbie friend, and I want to make sure I give him accurate info on what to expect. I know Dictum is history - very sad - but how about Flagpole and Meadow Knob?

When engaged in conversation with a fool, be sure he is not similarly engaged.
    Chief, DEJA Grammar Police

• I missed the last GWNF trip, and I know the trail riding situation has deteriorated some, but can someone please summarize what the trail riding plan will be for this upcoming trip? I thought Saturday was the prime trail riding day, but are we putting together a plan to do something else? I'm asking because I'm bringing along a newbie friend, and I want to make sure I give him accurate info on what to expect. I know Dictum is history - very sad - but how about Flagpole and Meadow Knob?

Jim, that's the reason I started the other thread so we could get an idea what we are doing rather than waiting until Sat. morning and having a big CF.

I'm not really speaking for the group, but I'm pretty sure some of us will probably head down to Natural Bridge on Sat.

All that's really left to trail ride there are the Knobs, Kephart, and old RT.33.

Probably fun for someone new, but for those of us that have done them a dozen or more times, they are kinda old hat.

Brian hasn't chimed in on what his interest is, maybe he will want to hit a few trails.

And of course our plans could change based on the weather.

• I am game for trails on Friday but in all reality you only need one day to run almost all the open trails.

Saturday seems like a good day to just check out the neighborhood and see what else is out there.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!