<Split> JFJ 2011 Discussion

• sorry if i missed it somehwere, but why is jeeps for joy not likely to happen?

A couple of the vital people to JFJ were too busy to organize everything this year and there wasn't much response at the meeting so although JFJ will still exist and do donations, a large event dedicated solely to JFJ seems improbable.

• A couple of the vital people to JFJ were too busy to organize everything this year and there wasn't much response at the meeting so although JFJ will still exist and do donations, a large event dedicated solely to JFJ seems improbable.

thats a shame, its a great event. i would be willing to help out in limited capacity (very busy working 12 hr days) if it helped this event go on. maybe if some other people volunteered we could get it going...?

• thats a shame, its a great event. i would be willing to help out in limited capacity (very busy working 12 hr days) if it helped this event go on. maybe if some other people volunteered we could get it going...?

I couldn't agree more with you and we'll discuss it again to be sure.

I think some of the frustration is that (and believe me that this is not aimed at your post) we get a lot of people that speak up on the board about doing things but when it comes down to it, it ends up being guys like Brian and Jen who get loaded up with stuff that they unfortunately don't have time to handle any more.

I'll get more info and post up. Thanks.

I can certainly help out too.. We can't let this die.

I just started a shit storm didn't I? :o More to come........

• At this point we plan to collect toys at the November meeting in Dover.

JFJ still has a fair amount of money in the bank and plans to continue to help Children's Choice.

The Pike Creek event costs over $300 for the liability insurance that's required to hold the event there. (That can buy a lot of toys)

And like Billy said, everyone offers to help but when it comes time to actually do the work everyone disappears.

I'm guessing we need to split this off into a separate discussion.

• sorry if i missed it somehwere, but why is jeeps for joy not likely to happen?

JFJ is and has always been a child of DEJA.

It has been principally supported by DEJA both in regards to involvement (DEJA Members) and financially (DEJA's annual donation).

Because of this, most things concerning it are discussed in the Members Only forum.

No secrets or anything. But it really only makes sense for those with a vested interest in it to have a say in which direction it heads.

Just wanted to clarify.

And thanks for your continued interest in it.

• I'll address the post here and if there is further discussion we can move it to the Members Only forum.

I really didn't want to let the Toy Drive die as Steve put it but I don't have a choice. Brian and I do not have time to do it this year. We had 10 great years so let's leave it at that. The reason we, the JFJ BOD, decided to not do the toy drive is because we'd rather have no toy drive then a half assed toy drive.
    The primary tasks of organizing the toy drive is asking for money and asking for toys. That's it. There is nothing glamorous about it. If there are no raffle donations and no toy donations there is no event. Dropping off boxes for toy collection has gotten harder and harder. Last year I asked people to take them to their employer instead of going out of their way to put a box in a location they don't frequent and the response was dismal to say the least. I asked people to take letters to places they frequent to ask for raffle donations. Again the response was dismal.
    To help raise cash we put on 2 fundraisers - one at Red Robin in New Castle County and one at Chick-fil-a in Camden. I don't even want to talk about the lack of members showing up to either of those events. It upsets me every time. *Thanks again to those that did show...you know who you are. :* Never did get those damn cows.

Like Keith said - people love to volunteer but normally its at the event and not before. People come up with great ideas.....in November. Now I'll be the first to admit I'm a procrastinator and never get the threads going until at least July. I don't usually get any response until around September or October.

Now before everyone gets their shorts in a knot, I have other ideas for JFJ. Jeeps for Joy is not just a toy drive. We can still collect toys as a club and give to AI Dupont. We can also raise money for Children's Choice so that those kids have a good Christmas.

Another thing that has been kicked around but I'd like to get more serious about is the reason we started JFJ in the first place. Most of the current members don't even know how JFJ started other then what they read on the website - myself included. I do not mean that disrespectfully at all - just stating a fact. It was a good cause and we gave it 10 years. We currently have another cause that hits closer to home for me and a lot of other current members.

I would like to see JFJ put more effort in fundraising for breast cancer research. I would like for us to instead of putting on a toy drive event, do a car show with the proceeds going to breast cancer research. I have no details yet. I haven't had time to put more then a fleeting thought into it since I joined the land of the working. I mentioned it briefly at the last meeting but that's it. We would be looking at doing something late summer/early fall 2012. I would also need LOTS of help. This is something we can discuss more at the November meeting since that's the one that the most people show up to. :innocent:

• Well put Jen. :up:

I agree :up:

I, of course because of my cancer, would like to see funds go to either cancer research or to actually help patients. Triple negative, metastatic cancers are one of the hardest to cure and there are new drugs coming out all the time due to research. I'm hoping I'll get the chance to get one soon :)

And little things like donating the Wellness Journals for the patients was a huge hit. I'm going to try to get a pharmaceutical sponsor for more for the Cancer center where I go. They are all gone and patients are asking for more. But even things like hats, scarves, wigs etc will help someone feel good about themselves. Well that's my .02$ for now.

• It's time, time, time! We always have plenty of volunteers to help the day of the event, but we usually end up with empty promises on volunteers to deliver and pick up boxes and also help gather and solicit raffle items. I joined DEJA because of JFJ and it saddens me deeply that I can't and don't have enough time to help run it anymore. I will still always help out CC with their kids as kids are my real reason for being a part of this for so long. Even if JFJ goes away for a while it will never die in the hearts of those who have committed their time to it over the years.

Former V.P. (2006-2007)
    V.P. of Jeeps for Joy (2004-2010)
    President of Jeeps for Joy (2010-2012)
    Beater Build Winning Driver (2009)

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!