idle issue

• 99 4.0l 5sp xj

ok strange idle. i need help with the diagnostic. check engine light came on the other night. o2 sensor 1 and 2 high voltage. and it was running rough got under found out sensor 2 the wire came out of the clip and was rubbing against the ujoint. it took the sheathing off the o2 sensor so i just taped them since the wire did not look damaged. and i also replaced the IAC because its been staying at high idle at lights for a while.

sooo it is still acting weird but no codes.

when i start it up cold it is fine and normal idle speed. i let it warm up and then it starts bogging down to maybe 600 rpm or less and just before it stalls it gives itself some gas and brings it up to 1100 rpm and drops all over again. i let it run like that for a while and it never corrected itself so i pulled the batt cables and clamped them together for awhile to reset the ecu. same issue after it sat for a while.

oh and i also changed the prv on the back of the valve cover cause i had an extra around and i though i could smell oil (could have been my garage though)

.,=======o00o<br />//__|__l__,\___\,___<br />l_---\__|__|---&#91;]lllllll&#91;] _<br />(o)_)____(o)_)--o-)_)__

Edited once, last by rstiles ().

• this morning i threw some codes

p0141-fault- O2 sensor #2 heater circuit
    p0135-pending- o2 sensor #1 heater circuit
    p0138-pending- o2 sensor #2 circuit high voltage

does this shed any light?

.,=======o00o<br />//__|__l__,\___\,___<br />l_---\__|__|---&#91;]lllllll&#91;] _<br />(o)_)____(o)_)--o-)_)__

• I think I would start at the o2 sensor. It may just be bad or one of the wires broke while it was rubbing on the ujoint.

Aaron

• check out the 02s like Aaron said, then check the IAC. I believe the 02s, IAC and TPS share a common ground and the TPS/IAC seem to blow out easily. At least, that's been my experience. The IAC is what controls idle speed and it might be stuck open. I seem to replace mine every other year. :(

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!