thinking of putting a turbo on

• Go for it.

Report back when you've spent several thousand $$ and it still sucks.

The I-4 is not a motor that adapts well to a turbo.

Turbo's are all about high end power, does nothing for a Jeep.

And you will also have to replace the tranny as it will not handle the power for long.

Much better to find a 4.0 donor and call it a day.

• for the cost involved, you're better off going with a 4.0. you'll get a stronger motor and transmission, too.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• what cost i have everthing off my turbo car i sold

Takes more than just the turbo.

To really benefit you need a different cam, crank, rods, pistons, probably injectors, and then the electronics to manage it all.

And there is really no support for the I-4 as far as this goes.

• what cost i have everthing off my turbo car i sold

so you have a turbo... doubt your old car has a manifold that will work, injectors, fuel managment, not to mention all the piping needed...

Yes you can do it, yes you will see a little more power. Use a small enough turbo and you'll have almsot instant power. But as others stated these motors don't handle a lot of boost and really wont make the amount of power you are looking for, especially for your time and money.

• well to answer your question yes i have fuel pump and fmu larger injectors bov all intake piping and for manifold its a down pipe moving the turbo to other side of motor and the rest of the piping for the exhuast and turbo ditting oil lines and return lines also

• well to answer your question yes i have fuel pump and fmu larger injectors bov all intake piping and for manifold its a down pipe moving the turbo to other side of motor and the rest of the piping for the exhuast and turbo ditting oil lines and return lines also

You asked for tips.

Majority is don't waste your time.

Like I said initially, go for it.

When it grenades, hopefully you can capture it on video.

• you can build a turbo system including fuel management for under a grand. especially if you have some components already go for it! :spinrhead: lets hear some spoolin!

let the haters hate. i'm not sure why you guys are stifling his idea. its going to be a build thread worth following. post up your progress i would love to see and hear that thing. and the best part is peoples reactions to a loud BOV in a jeep :driving: :laughing: and nothing like that turbo feel its an addiction

i know this is a 4.0 but the guy spent 1027.. lets see some one find a 4.0 and a trans plus all the brackets and bits need to retro fit it for that price. grocery list is on page 4. your going to have more room them him to do you build
    http://naxja.org/forum/showthr…ighlight=low+budget+turbo

i am planing to turbo my 6cyl. one thing i was talking to a friend of mine we started looking at placement of the turbo and decided its probably a good idea to get it high in the engine bay for the reason of minimizing the chance of dipping it in a mud puddle when its glowing. i know the Cherokees are notorious for engine compartment heat build up. so may be some hood vents to clear the extra heat that will build. you might be able to retro fit a sti top mount inter-cooler in a wrangler there might be enough room and i'm sure you can get one for cheap from someone that did a front mount on their car. i would def get a inter cooler of some sort. in the thread below the guy uses a water to air inter-cooler i think would really help a install on a wrangler too. but i think you would have much more room for a turbo system them me. what turbo do you have? is it sized right for the 2.5? seems with the 4.0 the safe psi is around 8 any more and there is concern for detonation. not sure with the 4cyl but i bet its similar.

and i know this is a 4.0 but and this guys system was 3400 and epic

How To: Build your own 4.0L turbo Cummins (Beware...170+ pics)

[color=rgb(0, 0, 0)]
    Originally Posted by CherBear
    How do you like the [/color][color=rgb(255, 0, 0)]turbo[/color][color=rgb(0, 0, 0)] for wheeling with? Do you ever manage to spool it at those speeds?[/color]

love it. The only time I hit boost is in 4HI going up a loose grade or plowing through a mud pool, so it's perfect. In 4 [color=rgb(255, 0, 0)]low[/color] it is almost impossible to build boost since there is very little load on the engine. Some would think that would be a bad thing, but A. I've never felt the need for more power in 4 [color=rgb(255, 0, 0)]Low[/color] and B. It would only lead to more breakage.

Dan, I do hit full boost around 2600 on average but that is only in 2HI on the street. Spool up is entirely load and gear dependant. For instance, cruising up a hill in over drive (60-70mph) I can hit 5-6lbs of boost at only 1800!

clicky for thread

.,=======o00o<br />//__|__l__,\___\,___<br />l_---\__|__|---&#91;]lllllll&#91;] _<br />(o)_)____(o)_)--o-)_)__

• the damn 4.0 blocks are stronger blocks and able to handle more power, thats why they are made into strokers. We are talking about a weak engine as it is, the 2.5 does NOT do well, so do your own searching, post up sucessful articles on the 2.5 and not the 4.0... you will find a few people who have done it to the 2.5 and you will see that after some time, they admit it was the biggest waste of money because the gain was basically nothing when they could and usually end up swapping to a 4.0 or V8 when they blow up the 2.5 in less than a year...

Its not hating, those of us who have 4cyl have researched ways to get more power and know this is not the way....

• Anyone claiming that the 4.0 is 'stronger' than the 2.5....you guys do realize that a 2.5 is basically a 4.0 w/o 2 cyl, right? Both would take about the same amount of stress before breaking. Is a turbo setup 'ideal' for ultimate power and reliability on one? Probably not, but it is a valid solution esp if you've got the parts and like to play with things. No offense to anyone on here but I'd bet that >80% of the people that have posted in this thread have never tuned a FI car, dealt with standalone fuel mgmt (or BS FMU's/checkvalves/etc), or can read a compressor map. The ONLY issue I see here to having a decent, reliable setup is the crappy AX5 trans that is marginal at best even behind the anemic stock motor. The OP isn't talking about running huge amounts of boost...5-7lbs on a 1/2 healthy 2.5 isn't likely to cause a bunch of probs as long as proper AF and timing is accounted for and has shown to make slightly more than a warmed over 4.0 from what I've seen.

To the OP: if you've got the parts laying around and don't mind dealing with the potential headaches and reliability issues then go for it. Hell, I have a ton of turbo parts laying around and have toyed on and off w/ setting Jen's up w/ a turbo for giggles until I swap it...it just hasn't bubbled high enough on the to-do list to come to fruition. A couple points to note: it looks like the easiest method would be to mount the turbo high on the pass side of the engine simply by interrupting the downpipe where it crosses in front of the motor. I was gonna pipe in a small water-to-air simply because I have it but at that low of a boost level it's debatable whether an IC is even needed. With a properly sized turbo and wrapping the pipe you should retain enough heat and velocity in the exhaust gases not to affect spool up 'much' Also, from my research an AFC-hack type fuel setup will not work on the obd2 ecus...you're stuck w/ a checkvalve/fmu unless going standalone.

--Ian

• the damn 4.0 blocks are stronger blocks and able to handle more power, thats why they are made into strokers. We are talking about a weak engine as it is, the 2.5 does NOT do well, so do your own searching, post up sucessful articles on the 2.5 and not the 4.0... you will find a few people who have done it to the 2.5 and you will see that after some time, they admit it was the biggest waste of money because the gain was basically nothing when they could and usually end up swapping to a 4.0 or V8 when they blow up the 2.5 in less than a year...

Its not hating, those of us who have 4cyl have researched ways to get more power and know this is not the way....

sounds like this guy was happy for the 5 years he got out of it when he posted
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/for…chive/index.php/t-76.html
    and there are some happy people in this tread to
    http://forums.jpmagazine.com/7…-or-supercharg/index.html

if you do it right your not going to blow the motor. you can't expect to push 30psi on a stock motor. but most cars can handle up to 4-8. and reading the forums about the 2.5 turbo sounds like a great option for saving weight and still have some power.

.,=======o00o<br />//__|__l__,\___\,___<br />l_---\__|__|---&#91;]lllllll&#91;] _<br />(o)_)____(o)_)--o-)_)__

• sounds like this guy was happy for the 5 years he got out of it when he posted
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/for…chive/index.php/t-76.html
    and there are some happy people in this tread to
    http://forums.jpmagazine.com/7…-or-supercharg/index.html

if you do it right your not going to blow the motor. you can't expect to push 30psi on a stock motor. but most cars can handle up to 4-8. and reading the forums about the 2.5 turbo sounds like a great option for saving weight and still have some power.

yawn... not getting into this p*ssing match... if you can read post dates, that guy on the Mopar forum posted at the end of 2005 and never posted back again after May 2006... so not quite sure where you got 5 years, and the JP has 1 person listed there who actually did it.

I never said it couldn't be done... i said its not worth it. You could swap a 2.5 for a 4.0 under $1000 and then you will be getting roughly the same power. Hell, a friend built the 4.0 to a 4.7stroker for under $2200. Hi end power on either motor, meaning higher RPM's are a killer of both the 2.5 and 4.0 engines...

Ian... you hit my key point I guess really, reliability.

• $2200 for the stroker but that doesn't include the wiring harness, the new computer, or the trans you'd need to replace. I can see that bill easily reaching $4000.

I remember a guy who used to belong to the club who put a turbo in his Jeep. Forget his screen name but I think he lived in Newark. Probably did a write up on the board.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!