smelling gas?!?!?!

• Recently, I have noticed a gasoline smell in the JK. It's not all of the time, but when I smell it, it's strong. When that happens, I crack the windows & turn off the heater. The smell dissipates, but it's definitely something I am concerned about. I haven't seen any fluids leaking, I don't hear any exhaust leaks either.

(and no, it's not because I just pumped gas.... lol)

Anyone else experience this? Any advice, ideas, etc.....

Thanks!!

• Not trying to be a smart a$$ but get it to the dealer. That is the benefit to having a brand new vehicle.

:laughabove: Not a smart a$$... just B'ing Frank. :laughing:

To the OP... Can't help ya out any on this one anymore than what Brian stated... if it's new and you're smelling gas I would take it in and have it looked at. Now if you were driving an old YJ like mine that's a different story....

Your life is made up of 2 dates and a dash... make the most of the dash!

• She didn't do anything wrong by asking a question... I'd do the same thing, hoping to get a little info before I had to waste multiple hours at a dealership.

I know there's an issue with the older JKs having fuel spill out the filler hose when you fuel up, but I thought that was fixed with the 2011s? Might be wrong about that... but at least, you'd notice it splash onto your hands. Of course, then you'd transfer the fuel onto your steering wheel and seat belt, and would smell it inside until it all evaporates.

I'll look up on the JK forums to see if anybody else has had this problem.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• Didn't really find anything concrete... there's one guy with a 2011 complaining here: http://www.jk-forum.com/showth…mell&highlight=fuel+smell but not resolved yet. So, who knows.

How long have you been smelling it? If more than a day or two (maybe it's just a little gas on the floor mat?), I'd call the local dealership to schedule an appointment.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• Heater is going to draw air in from the cowl duct in front of the windsheild. My guess is there is a leaking fuel line in the engine. It doesn't take a lot of gas to detect the smell.

On older vehicles (that have some dirt on them) you can find a fuel leak by looking for a clean spot where the gas drips. I doubt your vehicle is old enough to take advantage of that "benefit" :o . You can pop the hood while it's idling and feel for wetness where the fuel line connects to the fuel rail (or rails). If you're smelling it it's probably drippling on something hot (like the engine).

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• She didn't do anything wrong by asking a question... I'd do the same thing, hoping to get a little info before I had to waste multiple hours at a dealership.

I know there's an issue with the older JKs having fuel spill out the filler hose when you fuel up, but I thought that was fixed with the 2011s? Might be wrong about that... but at least, you'd notice it splash onto your hands. Of course, then you'd transfer the fuel onto your steering wheel and seat belt, and would smell it inside until it all evaporates.

I'll look up on the JK forums to see if anybody else has had this problem.

My 2008 JK would shot gas from the tank on fill up, but I never smelled any fuel inside. I would think maybe something in the engine bay is burning off. I would take it to the dealer.

• thanks for all the feed back....

i was trying to avoid taking her in, but turns out she has to go in anyway... having trouble with a speaker on the front passenger side. thank god for warranties!!!

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!