Speedo gear installation

• So the eBay speedo gear I ordered has arrived and now I need to install it on my 1998 TJ (3-speed auto tranny). Other than to visit Olson's excellent website, does anyone have any advise for someone doing this for the first time? I'd sure like to not screw up anything!!

When engaged in conversation with a fool, be sure he is not similarly engaged.
    Chief, DEJA Grammar Police

• So the eBay speedo gear I ordered has arrived and now I need to install it on my 1998 TJ (3-speed auto tranny). Other than to visit Olson's excellent website, does anyone have any advise for someone doing this for the first time? I'd sure like to not screw up anything!!

There is not much to it. Just don't forget to counter rotate the flux capacitor speedo input shaft or you may end up burning up your muffler bearing. You DON'T want to do that. Replacing that is expensive!!!

You'll be OK Jim. Post up if you have any questions. :up:

Really though....Stu's site makes it look harder than it really is. You got this bud. :)

• You're right, of course, Keith. I don't even know the proper name of my tranny and t-case, so, for the benefit of those who might read this thread and don't know my TJ, I thought I'd give them a hint and let them figure out what the t-case is on their own. Sometimes my logic, like my trail spotting, can be entertaining!

• Well, according to TomTom, my speedo (and hopefully odometer also) is back to accurate....within 1 mph of my GPS at highway speed. Thanks for the help.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!