XJ: Bushwaker or TJ Flares

• Hey Folks. I'm getting set to see about new flares for my XJ. Unfortunately, I'm torn between doing the TJ flare mod like Josh Paradee did (XJ99) or spending the lotta extra money and getting the bushwacker cut-outs. I like the overall look of the front TJ fenders, but the fact that the whole job is kinda jury rigged turns me off a bit.

I know a few different people have different setups, so I guess I'm kinda hoping to get a lil opinionated advice on this before I do anything.

• I'd go with the TJ's. You can save a lot more money for other mods. Everyone that has the TJ fenders haven't complained one bit. I haven't seen the "jury riggin" fail either.

• :wavey: I put on the Bushwacker an I am very happy with them. I also was going to put on the TJ flares but I :hmm: wanted the pocket look.

:up: The Bushwhacker's will nave more coverage over the tires as they are wider.
    :up: But the TJ flares are cheeper by a long run and if done right will have the same finished look.

:wavey: Best of luck.

• I just saw an XJ with the Bushwhacker flares and liked it a lot. I run them on my 5 and think they look good. I did have one mounting bolt pull through the flare though. :doh:

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Well, I've been asking around in every place I can think of and googled "XJ TJ flares" out the ass. There's pluses and minuses of each way.

:up: The TJ flares, when done right, have a great look to them, especially with an aftermarket bumper
    :down: The pinch seam in the back can make trimming difficult
    :up: Bushwackers come with instructions to be discarded and ignored anyway
    :down: I'm not a fan of the bolted on look. It's nice that you can see the security of the bolts and notice when they're starting to pull through.
    :up: the TJ flares are pretty cheap...At most you get them from quadratec for $140 including the side markers
    :down: Bushwackers.....$300 at least through ebay

I think given everything I've seen, I might be going with TJ flares. I like the cleaner look of the flares themselves versus the bolt on look. Thanks for everyone's input. Now I just gotta the XJ back from the shop and find help putting em on. :hmm:

• check out NAXJA.org and do a search, theres tons of Info there and Its strictly XJ's so theres tons of Info....thats where I got my Info when I did my flare Job....

02&#39; F250 SD w/ 285&#39;s and 17x9 1079&#39;s<br />99&#39; XJ w/ 8&quot; and 35&#39;s - GONE!<br /><br />I miss wheeling! :(

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!