marina/boat mechaninc

• Transferred my parents boat to my name this weekend. it's a 2000 Bayliner Capri 1850 18.4" with a 4.3 mercruiser I/O It hasnt seen much use in it's life but is in almost new shape only used in raystown lake to this point. . Looking for a reliable mechanic in the newark/elkton area to give it a good look over, replace the impeller, and do a full fluid/filter change, and winterize it. Im sure i can do it myself but time is hard to come by. anyone know a place that will be honest? i know there are several places around here, Brian Little gave me the name of a place that im looking into...but was curious to other opinions.

also looking for reviews on places to launch for some daily cruising on the rivers.

• Charlestown Md has a free boat launch but then they charge you to park your truck. Think it's like $8 for the day. If you get a Md Park pass you can launch from any of the Md Park Launch areas for free all year. Pass it about $100 for out of staters, not sure how much since your in state.

Former V.P. (2006-2007)
    V.P. of Jeeps for Joy (2004-2010)
    President of Jeeps for Joy (2010-2012)
    Beater Build Winning Driver (2009)

• Don't know any mechanics but this thread http://www.delawareja.com/forum/index.php?topic=35519.0
    has some more info. There are a few ramps at the Bohemia right near the bridge. Since your in Elton the elk neck ramp would prob be closest. There is a nice free ramp in Delaware city. You could head out to the DE river or down the Canal but It's a little bit of a ride to the elk or Bohemia from there. The canal can be a bit rough for a smaller boat also. There is also one In Chesapeake city but it's not very user friendly.

2000 Sahara, All custom...
    2000 Cherokee Police package, Beater....

I may be slowest and the stupidest

• Charlestown Md has a free boat launch but then they charge you to park your truck. Think it's like $8 for the day. If you get a Md Park pass you can launch from any of the Md Park Launch areas for free all year. Pass it about $100 for out of staters, not sure how much since your in state.

Directly across from Charlestown is Bay Boat Works (drive through Northeast on your way out to Turkey Point), they charge $10 to launch and Park. They also do repairs. My dad has used them to step the mast on his sailboat. I put my Yamaha in and out on their ramp on weekends. Its never crowded, the ramp isn't huge but your boat is smaller than mine so you should have no issues.

I have also used Bohemia Vista, they are pretty snoody and it costs $20.

• Nice pick up. I had the same boat and used it at Raystown lake as well. Also spent time in the Chesapeake, I would launch at Army Corp across from Chesapeake Inn and cruise down to Turkey Point. Never had a real issue with the small boat out there, but basically two years in the brackish water and lack of proper maint on my part killed the boat. Dumped a bunch of money in it on risers, y-pipe, starter. Good luck with it, some of my best days on the water were with that boat.

• Nice pick up. I had the same boat and used it at Raystown lake as well. Also spent time in the Chesapeake, I would launch at Army Corp across from Chesapeake Inn and cruise down to Turkey Point. Never had a real issue with the small boat out there, but basically two years in the brackish water and lack of proper maint on my part killed the boat. Dumped a bunch of money in it on risers, y-pipe, starter. Good luck with it, some of my best days on the water were with that boat.

You really think the water is brackish enough to wear on it that bad. We never even flush our jetski engines and never have have an issue with it.

• Im pretty sure the hole in the cylinder wall had nothing to do with the brackish water and everything to do with piss poor winterization. :mrgreen:

2000 Sahara, All custom...
    2000 Cherokee Police package, Beater....

I may be slowest and the stupidest

• Luke , i worked for 10 years as a certified marine technician. Even on raw water cooled systems , i never came across a motor that failed because of internal corrosion due to brackish water lying in the cooling jackets. I have seen exhaust manifold failure where the water jackets were corroded to the point water would make it to the cylinders but that usually would result in bent pushrods before causing a hole in a cylinder wall, this usually occurred on 10 year old plus manifolds and risers, or on boats used soley at the shore in saltwater. Flushing your skis wouln't be a bad idea though if you ride at the flats, we use to get a bunch of skis every summer with their jet pump housings packed with sand from getting in to shallow.

• You really think the water is brackish enough to wear on it that bad. We never even flush our jetski engines and never have have an issue with it.

Ed is correct about a piss poor winterizing one year, but when I pulled the manifolds, risers and y-pipe, they were pretty much rotted out inside.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!