Sweet Camping Trailer

• ^^My dream as well!! Would you bob it or leave the tandem axle? If you left the tandem axle you could just build a full length cab/body on the frame. Oh the possibilities... The ultimate zombie survival rig! :mrgreen:

Your life is made up of 2 dates and a dash... make the most of the dash!

• If I was just making a toy I would bob it. But for camping and such, I would leave the tandem in. Soooo much more room on the frame. :) The only real challenge or watch-out is that the camper body MUST be independent of the cab because those frames twist a HUGE amount if you take them on a trail. I was absolutely amazed at how much they move. Could add a flexible connector between the cab and camper if you really wanted to though.

• Where I'm having trouble is finding a balance between my criteria that works well and there's not really a market for what i want so there's not a perfect solution.
    What I need is:
    1. Easily maneagable behind the Jeep at highway speeds...so lightweight and brake kit.
    2. Rugged enough frame and suspension to get yanked up to someplace like say Flagpole Knob.
    3. Some way to carry two dual sport motorcycles in a manner that they can be unloaded without falling on me and crushing me miles from an ER.
    4. Secure enough to offer some protection from bears, mountain lions, sasquatch, etc.
    A pop-up with a toy deck seems to get the closest because the pop-up by nature will fit through areas overgrown with low branches and the Jayco Baja I posted has somewhat better suspension. But like I said, I may just end up with a rooftop tent and a simple utility trailer for the bikes. That will also fit the bill.

• Trey- How about a used popup SOA with a 'rail' style m/c carrier across tongue and another behind. Likely end up stretching tongue some and could use one of the offroad style couplers or a lunette ring. When going SOA a braked axle could be swapped in...mebbe go 5x4.5 to allow shared spare. Would allow 2 bikes, improve clearance, and be pretty cheap.

As to the MV based rigs...cool but my kidneys hurt just looking at them. After humping it across country with multiple jeeps in a fairly comfy pickup I can't imagine long trips in a no frills duece or 5ton that has more give in the frame than the monster leaf packs and with stock gearing couldn't think about keeping pace on I70.

--Ian

• These seem pretty interesting
    http://www.livinlite.com/camplite-overview.php

WHOA! completely made of aluminum. Pricey! I like how this is a camper that you can pass down to your kids and your kids and pass it to their kids. :o

[youtube]

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.
    [/youtube]

• Am heading out the door this morning for Cherrystone (in Virginia near the bridge/tunnel) with the TJ and popup. It's hardly off-roading, but I thought I'd comment that I do have some regrets about my camper. it's actually a very nice popup (Coleman Sante Fe), but it puts me right at the limit at what my 1998 TJ can safely handle. In retrospect, I should have opted for a smaller, lighter camper that I could have modified (read: add weight to it) with such things as a bike rack, larger axle and wheels, cargo rack, etc. Of course I realize one solution is to buy a JK Unlimited, but then that's another story...

Brian, that 5-ton truck looks sweet! Are you sure you don't have just a little Army in your blood?!

When engaged in conversation with a fool, be sure he is not similarly engaged.
    Chief, DEJA Grammar Police

Edited once, last by Chief57 ().

• Am heading out the door this morning for Cherrystone (in Virginia near the bridge/tunnel) with the TJ and popup.

Have you ever stayed at [size=small]Kiptopeke State Park? It's just a little further down Rt 13. Great place to camp![/size]

http://www.dcr.virginia.gov/state_parks/kip.shtml

We're heading to Trap Pond this weekend for some tent camping hopefully the weather holds out!

• Very nice. I don't really need the main vehicle once I get where I'm camping. I just want a secure base station and to go riding the bikes from there. I can throw food and supplies in a side case on my way back to camp.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!