Firearms/Long guns- Discussion Thread

• WOW! Definitely gets a +10 on speed and I heard every shot hit the target. I remember seeing Bob Munden shoot every round in his revolver in about 1 second. It's hillarious! He says, "Now if you want to hear a revolver sound like a machine gun check this out. You won't hit anything but the target might just die of fright!"... or something like that.

Your life is made up of 2 dates and a dash... make the most of the dash!

• It's limited with a .22 b/c you can only hunt w/ it south of the canal (shotgun north of C&D and for the moment all of DE for me until I get a .22). Augustine has some great areas to hunt small game, especially rabbit. Blackbird is pretty good too but a lot of the area is very thick. The south side of the canal is pretty nice for both. We've just started squirrel hunting Blackiston the last few years b/c it's now my parents back yard and it is not heavily hunted. We've tried rabbit and goose there as well w/o much luck. This is one of the reasons I'd like to get a .22 for squirreling. I'm tired of asking my brother or pop to use theirs and if we're all hunting together, which is most of the time, I'm stuck with my close range shotgun. It takes a lot of squirrels to make a good stew and the shotty just aint cutting it. Now if I could take out some of those fat gopher sized squirrels at White Clay that'd be another story. :innocent: I mean, branches break when those things are in the trees........ :laughing:

• If anyone is interested in acquiring a built up AR… built to roughly $2,300… PM me with any questions or offers!

Rock River Armory 5.56 mid length gas system upper
    Rock River Armory Lower
    2 stage match trigger
    MPI bolt group
    Mil-spec buffer tube
    Heavy buffer spring
    Daniel Defense Omega rail 9" mid length
    Eotech 519 Holographic sight
    Larue Tactical UDE (urban dark earth)
    -[size=13px]LaRue F.U.G. (forward universal grip)[/size]
    [size=13px]-Magpul Mil-Spec CTR Stock (5 position with friction lock)[/size]
    [size=13px]-Magpul MOE Pistol Grip[/size]
    [size=13px]-LaRue IndexClips[/size]
    [size=13px]-P-Mag 30rd Mag[/size]
    [size=13px]-XTM rail covers[/size]
    [size=13px]Black padded hardshell case[/size]

[size=13px][/size]

• Never had any issue with my M-700. But having said that, I don't shoot it a lot. It's a like a border collie, it needs room to run and Delaware is a 4th floor apartment. I should just pony up the dough and join Bridgeville so I can shoot the 600 yard range. But what I have shot is mostly NATO rounds.

• Wolverine- As you are well versed in the ways of your lever action .22 could you school me in some of it's aspects. I've never shot a lever action. When I see them I instantly think of The Rifleman even though I only saw reruns as it was before my time. Is yours scoped or fixed sights? Do you notice any variance in accuracy from your lever action to your Rem semi action? I know a big part of accuracy lies within the shooter but I've always heard that bolt action rifles are considered more accurate than the rest. I'm fairly ignorant in this dept. between different type actions other than how they work.

I can drive tacks with both at 50 yds and iron sights. With that said, I've shot many, many, many ground hogs at my house in the 75-100yds with my Marlin and Remington. No difference in accuracy. It is nice to double tap the ground hogs with the semi though :razz:

If I had to only choose one, I'd take the Marlin though. Just classier overall and holds more than the semi. Not too much slower either. I'd scope it but it's an original made in 1946 Model 39a and I don't want to ruin the value by drilling and tapping it.
    Looks like THIS but without the peep sight.

Former V.P. (2006-2007)
    V.P. of Jeeps for Joy (2004-2010)
    President of Jeeps for Joy (2010-2012)
    Beater Build Winning Driver (2009)

Edited once, last by Wolverine ().

• Never had any issue with my M-700. But having said that, I don't shoot it a lot. It's a like a border collie, it needs room to run and Delaware is a 4th floor apartment. I should just pony up the dough and join Bridgeville so I can shoot the 600 yard range. But what I have shot is mostly NATO rounds.

Bville is nice, I use my AR Match Rifle out to 600 yards. I'm shooting 77 & 80 gr 5.56. Supposedly their 1000 yard range will be open soon.

• Where do you guys get your 5.56/.223 ammo from? I need to feed my new AR. :) Do people even keep hollow point rifle ammo for defense or just FMJ? I know its out there, just don't know if anybody bothers with it.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• Where do you guys get your 5.56/.223 ammo from? I need to feed my new AR. :) Do people even keep hollow point rifle ammo for defense or just FMJ? I know its out there, just don't know if anybody bothers with it.

Jerry, I roll my own, but then again, mine are long range rounds.
    For plinking, anyplace that will sell you the cheapest 55gr. bullets! For self defense, I'd look for something in the 62-70gr. Whether it's a coyote, or some other "varmint" I want them to go down HARD.

• Just a side note about Wal-Mart firearms. You can special order from their catalog in any store. I have been told that the models Wal-Mart gets are not as good as the gun shop models; that there are small differences that cheapen down the quality. This could be "anti-sprawl-Mart" rhetoric, but I have looked before in their catalog and noticed slight differences between their model numbers and the model numbers on the manufacturers website.

If you're looking at a semi-auto .22, Winchester Model 290 was chambered in short, long and long rifle. It would sometimes have trouble cycling a .22 short unless you kept it clean and lubed. But it is tube-fed, holds a nice amount of ammo in the mag and .22 long means you can fire CB rounds (sub-sonic...very quiet...great for neighborhood varmint control)

• Hey guys, anyone have thoughts on the Savage 212, bolt action 12 ga. I just bought one for my son cause he keeps using my guns now. I put a pro staff nikon on it. all I have read its a good gun 20 ga. mostly (its light weight and shoots well). Im actually picking it up tomorrow. Now he wants the SBE II for goose.....I don't think so!

• Well I decided for the moment to pick up a self/home defense piece. I'll be buying my brother's FNH Forty-Nine at a good price. He'll get a nice EOTech for his AR... we all win I guess. I put the bug in my wife's ear about the other 2 rifles I was looking at so maybe my wish will come true like Ralphy in The Christmas Story!! :innocent: I'll record the subliminal message tape and put it under her pillow tonight......

• Well, the day after Christmas I ordered my rifle. Took about a month to come in but I was finally able to pick it up last week. It's a M91/30 Mosin Nagant. For being manufactured during the World War era t is in amazing condition. Took about 4-5 hours of careful cleaning to remove the cosmolene but it was worth it.

It's a bit curious and intriguing when I handle the rifle I wonder what it's history has been. I mean this is a rifle designed and used for the war of its time. I wonder, did this rifle see action at Stalingrad? Has this weapon actually killed Nazi soldiers? So many possibilities... Just piques my curiosity. Can't wait to fire it!
    [img width=1200 height=896]http://www.delawareja.com/gall…nloadItem&g2_itemId=41097[/img]

• Nice. I've never shot one before but hear they're really accurate.

Former V.P. (2006-2007)
    V.P. of Jeeps for Joy (2004-2010)
    President of Jeeps for Joy (2010-2012)
    Beater Build Winning Driver (2009)

• make sure you clean that thing really well i have the carbine and the 7.62x54 ammo the primers are extreamlie corosive and requier alot of cleaning

Is that just the surplus ammo or all? I've been looking to get a case (880 rds) of the Russian surplus and I've heard the same about their corrosiveness. I was thinking of picking up a few boxes of 20 rds, if I can find it local, to send down range until I can buy a case. I'm pretty anal about cleaning my firearms though. I've already completely disassembled my Mosin 5 times... cleaned, oiled, cleaned again, oiled, oiled, oiled. When I say completely I'm talking the entire bolt assembly, trigger assembly, etc. I've gotten to where I can have it down and reassembled in less than 10 mins. :8)

Which model do you have?.... the M44?

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!