It's Official: Jeep Will Build Models In China

• Going to have to rename the company now too, Cheep.

This is usually where you put a signature, instead I'll let everyone know I am looking for a CJ8 Scrambler.

• I never understood why everyone was all in a tizzy because Jeep is creating production lines in China; they've stated from day 1 that it was for the Chinese market, and not for ours.

:shrug:

• Would you rather they ignore the Chinese market? Might as well put Chrysler back into bankruptcy. :shrug:

It makes perfect sense to me to move some production to Asia.

Real Jeeps died with the Willy's if we really want to go there. ;)

• I didn't mean it like that. I feel like the newer models are more of a throw away cars like everything else out there now. They just aren't built to last like the older models.

It's give and take. Leaf springs are way better than coils as far as toughness and longevity so the YJ would be the last..but it has square headlights so it must be the CJ...but....on and on.

I broke everything stock on my TJ, and almost nothing on my JK. The way you wheel your Jeep is the exception, not the rule. :laughing: (Edit: Stafford beat me to it.)

• I didn't mean it like that. I feel like the newer models are more of a throw away cars like everything else out there now. They just aren't built to last like the older models.

Older jeeps aren't throw aways as if you let them sit long enough they will rust away and you will only be left with 4 tires... FWIW I think my JK is the best jeep I have owned

We have the resources, technology, and knowhow to build them stronger....and we do. Now if could only figure out what to do with those damn rocker panels and corner guards..... :doh:

• Oh no, Jeep is going to RESTART jeep production in china (ha, apparently US grammar said @#$$ china and doesn't see to it that it has to be capitalized) ... not really big or exciting news; well exciting i suppose considering how poorly the European auto market is doing.

Beijing XJs looked better in my option and they also had the longer model with tall roof although its be told that the build quality was crappy

Most likely they will get something cool that the EPA or NTSB won't let us have.

Straight six or nuthin!
    1993 Jeep Wrangler Sport w/ splash graphics!
    1993 Dodge W-350 Cummins
    2006 BMW 325xi wagon.

• This is why jobs are so few and far between that should be done here in the use US by the people who drive them. Is there really any reason for them them to move their it cant be that much cheaper considering shipping costs. I mean am I wrong to think this way?

Sent from my A200 using Tapatalk HD

• This is why jobs are so few and far between that should be done here in the use US by the people who drive them. Is there really any reason for them them to move their it cant be that much cheaper considering shipping costs. I mean am I wrong to think this way?

They are building jeeps in China for the Chinese market to be sold there, not the US market.

I'm not implying that their overseas production would affect jobs here, but according to the link the ones being produced overseas will be sold overseas - not shipped back to here once assembled. Basically build them where they will be utilized.

• Most likely they will get something cool that the EPA or NTSB won't let us have.

Beijing doesn't have to deal with all that EPA crap and look how happy they are. :innocent:

I'm not implying that their overseas production would affect jobs here, but according to the link the ones being produced overseas will be sold overseas - not shipped back to here once assembled. Basically build them where they will be utilized.

Exactly. :up:
    The Jeeps they are building in China are for the Asian market. Toyota, Nissan, Honda, Volkswagan, etc. all have plants here in the US as well as other countries and markets.
    Ideally, everything would be manufactured in the US by US workers but it's foolish to think that it is even possible and still maintain any competitiveness in a brutal global market.

As I said before, complaining that Jeep is ramping up manufacturing and sales in Asia in order to expand their market makes no sense. :shrug:

• I'm not implying that their overseas production would affect jobs here, but according to the link the ones being produced overseas will be sold overseas - not shipped back to here once assembled. Basically build them where they will be utilized.

Ok I misread that. And that makes sense. Again the cost of shipping is not exactly cheap.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!