Need vs. Want

• Nope, it's just that once it gets nicked it'll crumple in low range.

Honestly, it looked high pinion (did JKs come like that?) so if you stick to the lower trails I bet you'll miss it, but once you start getting in an iffy situation and touch it on a rock I think it'll twist itself up and you'll have 2WD for the rest of the day. Ever seen a driveshaft look like a pig tail?

I can't say that I've ever seen one pig tail. I'll have to add it to the sooner rather then later list before big dogs but it should be good through this coming weekend.

• I'm about to order the "rock crawler" drive shafts from tatton's ebay store. They are 2 1/4" and 250. I'm not sure if the diameter will be a huge drawback yet for rock clearance but you can take a look at em and see if you think that size'll fit your Jeep better than regular shaft from the popular driveshaft guys. I'm not sure yet if the difference in weight for something rotating like that will affect a daily driver worse off than not.

• As long as it is properly balanced it should not be an issue.

I was thinking more along the lines of rotating mass. I've observed a lot of "racer" type people like to reduce their rotating mass before they reduce weight in other areas. Just unsure if the weight difference is massive enough to effect mileage or something enough to warrant not doing it. Tatton advertises that he spin balances them up to "100mph", if that number is comparable given gear ratios and tire sizes.

• [size=1em]I was thinking more along the lines of rotating mass. I've observed a lot of "racer" type people like to reduce their rotating mass before they reduce weight in other areas. Just unsure if the weight difference is massive enough to effect mileage or something enough to warrant not doing it. Tatton advertises that he spin balances them up to "100mph", if that number is comparable given gear ratios and tire sizes.[/size]

As was I. :) Because having more mass makes it that much more important to be balanced properly due to the inertia. As for the overall mass, I would think it could possibly be noticeable in the form of more clutch slippage when starting from a dead stop but otherwise not so much because it is a Jeep, not a race car. :innocent:

• So maybe it's obvious that I'm not an engineer :) but how does the simple factor of not being perfectly balanced effect clutch slippage from a dead stop? I guess I just didn't connect the dots from your first post.

• So maybe it's obvious that I'm not an engineer :) but how does the simple factor of not being perfectly balanced effect clutch slippage from a dead stop? I guess I just didn't connect the dots from your first post.

2 separate points actually. I just didn't think the extra rotating mass would be an issue. I would be much more concerned with the balancing aspect...

• So I think my borrowed time with my OEM front driveshaft is up. When I went to go install my exhaust last night this is what I found. My question to all of you is this; do I need to hurry up and pull it out or is it okay to keep running until it explodes? I'm not sure how serve it really is.
    Heres a couple pictures of it at the transfer case end. Whatever is split is rubber. :shrug:
    [img width=675 height=1200]http://www.delawareja.com/gall…nloadItem&g2_itemId=42075[/img]
    [img width=675 height=1200]http://www.delawareja.com/gall…nloadItem&g2_itemId=42078[/img]

• Its not going to fall out is it? I might have time tonight when I get home but incase I dont...

• The way that joint is built that is basically a greese boot. Probably not going to come apart but you are on barrowed time. They are a all socket cv pos joint. With no grease it will come apart. Time for an upgrade.

• The way that joint is built that is basically a greese boot. Probably not going to come apart but you are on barrowed time. They are a all socket cv pos joint. With no grease it will come apart. Time for an upgrade.

:wavecrowd: Yay! Time for a new upgrade! I already have a Coast and a JE REEL front DS sitting in my wishlist and I have to take a look at the one Sal was posting about.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!