new lockers installed

• I finally got the eaton lockers & new gears installed with a little help from my friends friend . OK a lot o help. what a pain in the blank. we thaught a day to a day &1/2 ,took 5 days, no error on me or my friends. i got all parts in a package from 4WD.First problem,the Elocker for rear D44 , holes to bolt the ring gear to the carrier were 3/8 in. but the factory ones were 1/2 in. & the ones that came with the install kit were 9/16. in so I call 4WD & explain my delema. the experienced individual on the phone says yea ,we bin getting that a lot lately with the carrier for the 44,eaton is only making the one to fit all 44s, just drill the holes out. the damed thing is hardened steel & if this is the way it comes why wasen't I told I would have to spend a couple hundred to make it fit?sent it off to the machine shop. next problem ,the flange on the carrier is thicker than the factory, witch is good but the new bolts are shorter than the factory so I only get 2 threads in the ring gear. drive over to the parts wearhouse & get the right ones. at this point we decide it's a good idea to check everything for the front.the bolts fit through the holes in the flange& they'r long enough,woo hoo, but the bearings are to big. back on the phone with 4WD ,that should be the right install kit. 45 minets later he thinks he knows what bearings I need. I ask to have them overnighted so I can get my jeep off my friends lift. ok but they have to charge me for the bearings(I'll get remburst when I send the others back) & the shipping. i'm not happy but send them. guess what, you guessed it, the new bearings are too small. lets call 4WD again , no one answers so I leave a message,that was wendsday & still no call back.in the mean time I call eaton & G2 figure out what part numbers I need, call the wearhouse , go pick them up,install the front. finish the back , get the dam jeep off the lift.say i'm sorry about 30 times& give my friend a hand full of cash for tying up his lift for 5 days instead of one.i still haven't wired them up yet ,hope to get to it sunday but its supposed to rain all day. what I learned, as soon as you get your parts take EVERYTHING out of the packaging, no matter how insignificant, & MAKE SURE EVERYTHING FITS TOGETHER PROPPERLY. DO NOT ASSUME BECAUSE YOU ORDERED EVERYTHING TOGETHER THAT IT WILL FIT. And salesmen DON'T ALWAYS KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING! thanks for letting me rave. I hope this helps someone else when they do mods to their jeep.

• wow... that was a bad.. I think I would have told 4wd Hardware to shove that order up their a$$ and re-order the right stuff from Quadratec or any other good company. I don't believe the Eaton locker thing. Sure you can drill out the flanges , but that can't be right. I call Shananagins..
    Glad you got it all together, but that was way too much drama. BTY , my Detroit was a tight fit in my ring gear. That is normal. Sometimes you have to so some light grinding. When i did my Scout Dana 44s, I really did a lot of research and compared part numbers from other vendors. I did find differences too, so you do have to be careful.

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• I drilled my holes on the elocker to 1/2" on my jeep and all of my buddy's jeeps I have done. A simple uni bit does the job

Wow, wouldn't it be better to have them all drilled to the larger size and then provide press in sleeves for the smaller bolt sizes?

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

• we wasted 3 drill bits trying to drill out the holes. that & wanting them to be perfectly aligned was why I sent it out

Could imagine it would be a PITA even with a drill press

• I drill out carriers all the time. Arb, detroit and e locker all want to make one locker for a particular housing even though it may have been used in several different applications. Dont know why you could not drill them out.

Btw dont think that quadratec or other places are any better. I have got wrong application parts from people bringing parts over all the time. Thats why i dont buy parts. It sucks but it happens. First thing i do is open all the boxes to see if stuff looks right. Sometimes its tne idiots on the phone and sometimes its the idiots from the company tnat makes the parts. Welcome to the lowest common denominator.

Aaron

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!