Pitman arm won't budge.

• I'm trying to remove my 87yj pitman arm and the thing will NOT budge. I've been soaking it with release spray for two days and it hasn't even moved at all :censored: I got the tool to remove it but that's not doing anything. It's the original pitman from 1987. Any ideas? I'm replacing the power steering box, that's why I have to remove it and its driving me crazy

Luis

• I'm trying to remove my 87yj pitman arm and the thing will NOT budge. I've been soaking it with release spray for two days and it hasn't even moved at all :censored: I got the tool to remove it but that's not doing anything. It's the original pitman from 1987. Any ideas? I'm replacing the power steering box, that's why I have to remove it and its driving me crazy

Luis

Have you wacked it on the side with a big hammer?

The good stuff like PB-Blaster works way better when you agitate the molecules.

• And put the puller on, get it as tight as you can, then smack the side of the pitman arm where it clamps on the shaft with the hammer.

Tighten the puller some more and try again.

Eventually you will hear it pop.

• get it yet? if replacing the steering box, put the puller on, tighten it up, and hit it with a torch i had to use an iron spike and a sledge hammer to remove the one off my TJ,,,but i replaced it so it didn't matter.

• I used a 4 inch grinder with a thin blade cut a few notches in my put the puller on it and tapped it a few times.... Worked like a charm.

Anytime you take your 20+ year old jeep apart plan on fixing more them you intended.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!