which axle to lock....

• Does yours ever randomly decide to jump lanes when turning? I've been in others when it happens and it's a bit unnerving to say the least.

It unloads once in a while but it's just a little kick and a bang. Maybe I'm just used to it. :shrug:
    I think Mike would be fine with it.

Isn't there more to a Detroit than a lunchbox style ?

Well yeah. It replaces the carrier but concept is still the same so I assumed they handled similarly. Maybe I'm wrong.

• A lockright in the front acts just like an open diff in 2wd on the road.

Yj or Tj shafts, doesn't matter.

How do you figure that?

Tj shafts will lock the two wheels together and you will ALWAYS be ratcheting and overcoming the springs in the locker. YJ CAD you will not hear or feel anything different.

I'm not says it doesn't work, I'm just saying its not the same.

Straight six or nuthin!
    1993 Jeep Wrangler Sport w/ splash graphics!
    1993 Dodge W-350 Cummins
    2006 BMW 325xi wagon.

• Tj shafts will lock the two wheels together and you will ALWAYS be ratcheting and overcoming the springs in the locker. YJ CAD you will not hear or feel anything different.

I'm not says it doesn't work, I'm just saying its not the same.

Man I am post whoring today, LOL.

It's not the same but, it's not as noticeable as you are making it sound. It is very tough for me to tell if my hubs are connected or not in the front of my TJ with a Detroit. EDIT: That's in two wheel drive obviously.

• 2x Detroits are not bad on the street. Been driving one on my daily driver for a few years now.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 with Taptalk 2

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• Why does everyone think this? I've always run Detroits and love how my Jeep drives on the road. He is driving a YJ, not an effing Escalade.

Now now billy i think its a escalade.... Mayhe not to you but man.... Take it easy on her she got feelibgs too haha... And it seems likeiI started a heated debate. Thats the thing i dont forsee myself running rc every weekend but at the least i want something that i know its there when i need it. And if stape has a dana44 detroit locker this is a first haha...

Anytime you take your 20+ year old jeep apart plan on fixing more them you intended.

• Man I am post whoring today, LOL.

It's not the same but, it's not as noticeable as you are making it sound. It is very tough for me to tell if my hubs are connected or not in the front of my TJ with a Detroit. EDIT: That's in two wheel drive obviously.

Unless you are driving in snow/ice. At that point it would be really nice to be able to turn (I've ridden with you when you went to turn on the trail and you forgot to unlock)

-Brad

Straight six or nuthin!
    1993 Jeep Wrangler Sport w/ splash graphics!
    1993 Dodge W-350 Cummins
    2006 BMW 325xi wagon.

• Ive got an Aussie front and a Spartan rear. I put the Aussie in first untill the stock lsd wore out. With the Aussie front, there really wasent a noticable difference when driving aside from all of the clicking when turning. When I put the spartan in the rear I definiatly noticed a difference. I dont mind it because although my jeep is my dd I built it to wheel so the more built it gets the worse its road manners tend to be and Im ok with that. If I were to do it again though I would have put the front aussie in and then waited untill I could afford a rear selectable. I would say front for that reason. Have you checked to see if your 44 has the select track lsd? I think alot of them do. You can take it apart and pack the crap out of it and it will act like a locker for awhile.

• Takes a ton of torque to overcome those little springs. Lol

You can jack the wheels off the ground and spin a wheel with one hand and it will ratchet.

There's no positive engagement unless torque is provided by the front driveshaft.

If you have no top or windows and no radio, yes you will hear a slight clicking in turns.

There is no difference in feel or drivability.

• Im thinking more and more about doing the front axle judging by what everyone is saying since its gonna be open anyway.

Anytime you take your 20+ year old jeep apart plan on fixing more them you intended.

• Unless you are driving in snow/ice. At that point it would be really nice to be able to turn (I've ridden with you when you went to turn on the trail and you forgot to unlock)

-Brad

There's a lot of doomsday stuff on the web about how front lockers affect snow driving.

There is a difference but it takes about a block or two to learn it.

Ease off the throttle when going thru a turn with a LockRight and you will be fine.

They do make tight turns on the trail a little more challenging.

I was very happy with my LockRight, especially considering the low cost.

But, I really like the E-Lockers I have now. :mrgreen:

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!