Weekend Wheeling - April 16/17

• OK, everyone, I know a bunch of folks were on the trails at RC on Saturday and Paragon on Sunday. We want to hear about it, especially the trail damage!

I rode with Aaron and Don today. Aaron's jeep had been cooped up in the garage all winter, getting some work done (chrome mirrors, stainless steel door hinges...oh, wait, scratch that, I think it was a fuel cell, replacement ram assist steering, and some other neat stuff for Neuroc next month). On Saturday evening Aaron and Don spent a couple of hours trying to re-fit a temporary replacement front driveshart that just received in the mail -- I just watched, not good for much more than that.

Don's flattie needed some exercise also, so we hit the Paragon trails. We started at Voodoo, after a long ride to the other side of the park, dodging and crashing through the tree limbs still hanging over the trails. As Aaron turned into Voodoo, pop went the driveshaft. It turns out the splines on which the shaft slides were too short, even after some last minute fabrication in the garage last night. With the shackle reversal, the front axle swung forward more than expected, and let the shaft fall apart. After 15 minutes with a ratchet and BFH, he was ready to go. Up Voodoo he went -- 100 feet. Pop again. This time he tried to stabilize it with a ratchet strap. That probably kept it together a lot, but it still popped two or three more times.

But we continued up and through Voodoo. With a good line and a bit of good spotting, I made it past that nasty spot where last time I smashed my axleshaft and locker about a year ago. This time, walked right up. We finished out Voodoo and then headed up the pipeline to Rattler.

After lunch, we head into Rattler. After my traditional smashing of the front diff, I made it past the spot where in December I broke my fuel line and had to be towed out. Up the ridge we stopped for a brief break for Don to pull off the steering brace that had broken and interfered with his turning. Then down the rest of the trail, around the big rock, and down off the trail.

We then headed across to Rattler's trail, where miraculously I haven't broken anything yet, and we cruised through that (with one stop as Aaron put his DS together after taking an optional line). At the end I took one of the fun lines up and off the trail.

Heading back down Valley Road, Don noticed an odd wiggle from his front left tire. I could see that even from behind him. We stopped for a while so I could drink a bottle of water and Don could take apart his hub. There was nothing obviously wrong, but since the rim was bent he swapped in his spare. (((Edited out --> dangerous situation involving highlift jack and BFH))). We continued out Valley, but the wheel still had the wiggle. Don has some work to do.

We were going to check out the Neuroc trails up the hill, but Aaron through the "Keep Out" sign meant him, so we headed up to the rocks at the entrance to Trail 25 ("the endless trail"). Aaron was considering trying one of the Neuroc trails there, but we instead decided to pack it in, so we headed back to the Staging area.

It was a beautiful day to be on the trails, though I think I'm still spitting out mud from all the dust I ate on the trails. We all got a bit of sunburn, I have a bit of those raccoon eyes around where my sunglasses were. Time to get some leaves on the trees!

That was our day. Thanks Aaron and +1 ( :laughing: ) for letting me tag along and not break anything.

BlueJ

• It was a fun day. It was also good to get out and have some fun after putting 8-10 weeks worth of work into the Jeep. Once I get the long spline drive shaft parts I should be ready for another day of testing. Hope to see some more DEJA people out on the trail the next time.

• Once again Andrew has given a thorough recap of the Days events. For everyone that missed it, let me tell you it was an AWESOME day. The weather warmed up to the 70's. The trail dust was a little bad if you weren't the lead vehicle, otherwise there was no reason to complain.
    Saturday ended up being a longer day then we expected mostly due to a temporary driveshaft that didnt have the necessary spline length. We were ready to test drive the rig (1st time since October) at 6pm when we discovered the driveshaft issue. therefore it was almost 9pm by the time we had it cut, shortend, and rewelded back together.
    Sunday Aarons competition YJ only had problems with that driveshaft, but that will be easily remedied. Every other winter modification worked without an issue so we were still pleased with the results.
    The Flattie had an issue where I jammed up the front end, twisted it all up and the steering box brackethad to give. It was easily removed and I continued on my way. However, I was noticing my left turn was becoming less and less effective. So, while driving the access trails back from Rattler I noticed the left front tire was bouncing all over the place and not staying steady. So we stopped to verify the spindle nuts weren't loosening. They were fine but we tightened them up some more.. Either way it looks like some new front bearings are in order.

Don

• Ok....Me(2000sahara), Sandy(skinsfan), Jason(Jwalk) and Ian(Clendaniel) all went to RC for the swap meet. After showing up late we and missing the majority we decided to take advantage of half price wheeling. We went over some greens and blues and then to some trails with some blacks in them.....Sorry dont remember names or numbers....Ian and I decided to try out trail 5 while Jason and Sandy watched. Ian entered the first deep deep hole/tank trap, minus water and ended up in a seriously tippy three wheel motion. Me being that great guy that i am, litterally put one finger on his door and kept ian from plummetting to his demise.....Finally after some Magnus VonMagnuson like rock placement from myself and Jason, Ian and I made it through.....Ian also decided to try Greggs Tank Trap....For some reason it looked much shallower, however, this was not so. Ian eased into it thinking he was in his Commanche and sunk immediately. So Ian got the strap from a certain Black 2000 Sahara (I wont say any names)..... :suspicious: ....Now comes the fun. We got to a pretty tuff section and Sandy's Rubi got into a tree, slighty denting the windshield frame. ( If you ask me the dent adds Character, but they didnt think so). So it was decided to turn it around and head back, however, in the process of turning, the rubi sustained a broken front axle shaft and a snapped in half front lower control arm. After limping it off the trail Lynn came to the rescue and had a lower control arm and a hi lift jack for the repair. THANKS LYNN YOUR A LIFE SAVER. So we pulled the axle and replaced the hub and stub shaft. Meanwhile we noticed the ball joint had ripped out of the lower part of the knuckle. So we limped it back to the hotel and Elff and Artie came at 1 in the morning for the next day of wheeling with replacement parts and a ball joint press.We all Wrenched on the rubi (Well, Elff and Jason did) untill about 3 in the morning changing the ball joint in the hotell parking lot. Im sure the guests loved the sound of on board air and air tools at 230 in the morning.......So that ended day one.

2000 Sahara, All custom...
    2000 Cherokee Police package, Beater....

I may be slowest and the stupidest

Edited once, last by ().

• EDIT: Okay I was a little slower than Ed in typing...ignore the repeated sections! :shrug:

Well it was a _long_ weekend. Ed (2000sahara), Sandy (skinsfan), Jason (jwalk), Jason's daughter Grace, and I decided to attend the Rausch Creek swapmeet/wheeling on Sat and ended up staying through and wheeling Paragon on Sun.

4/16
    We arrived at RC a bit late for the swapmeet portion as most of the people were packing up when we arrived at 10:30-11am. Since Jason's rear shocks never showed on Friday he was sitting his rig out for the day and spent time riding with Ed. After checking in with Lynn we headed out on the trails...figured we'd hit crawler ridge where Ed and I could play a bit and then have lunch. Got there only to find a group who flagged us down for assistance...they'd blown a bead and needed to use Ed's OBA. After Ed got them up and running we ate a quick lunch before heading out.

Since we had Sandy with us and she wanted to keep things on the conservative side we cut onto trail 2 and were able to have a fun time on the hill climb after I managed to sink my rig deep in Greg's Tank Trap (tm) :suspicious: Ed and Jason hooked me up while I kept the engine sputtering and Ed pulled me out before I was totally full of water!

From there we proceded to trail 5 to check it out and see if Sandy could handle it. After seeing the entrance she decided that it wouldn't be a good idea so Ed and I completed the loop at the beginning while Jason and Sandy watched. I definitely want to hit the rest of this trail on our next RC trip...what we did was pretty cool and it was only a small portion. On the second rocky tank trap I got the opportunity to have Ed hold my Jeep upright while I backed off (this should have been a warning for events to come...). After stacking a couple rocks so my driver's rear didn't fall into as much of a hole I was able to climb up and out. Ed gave it a try after we tied a strap to his cage. He managed to make it through on the first try with Jason and I playing tug of war with his Jeep and a _bunch_ of air under his right front tire.

In order to supply a good number of bypasses and some multi-level stuff we headed for trail 1 with its blue and black sections. Sandy's Rubi performed admirably until the last little bit of the black rock garden...by the time the Jeep was off the trail it had a ding on the windshield frame (the least of our worries), a broken passenger front axleshaft, taco'd lower control arm (ended up snapping on the trip out), a partially separated upper balljoint, and the lower balljoint was almost pressed completely out of the knuckle. We limped her rig out of the park where we could work on repairs. A big thanks to Lynn as she had a bunch of spare stock control arms to replace the broken unit!! Ed quickly removed the pieces of the old lower and replaced it while I winched the axle forward and into position. Jason pulled the hub and removed the broken inner shaft and we pounded the lower balljoint in as much as we could. When putting on the front tire two of the wheel studs must have had some munched threads as Jason couldn't impact them off and was forced to resort to the highlift handle as a breaker bar resulting in two sheared lug studs on her wheel spacers.

While Jason was working I called artie who was planning on coming up Sun w/ Elff...with some gentle persuasion and at the cost of a hotel room they volunteered to make the trip to the PAP Comfort Inn with the spare parts and a ball joint press. After babying her rig up I81 we made it to the hotel...checked in and waited for Elff, Artie, and Artie's wife Kate to arrive ~1am. Was an interesting evening in the parking lot of the Comfort Inn changing balljoints and removing the wheelspacers...finished up about 3am.

4/17
    After a couple hours sleep Ed and I got up to hit PAP w/ Elff, Artie, and the rest of their gang. Jason and Sandy stayed a bit later and headed home instead.

It was good to see Aaron, Don, and Andrew up there...sorry didn't get a chance to wheel with you guys but I'd already committed to wheeling with Elff's merry band. Hind sight being 20/20 I might have had better luck going with you guys! On our way out to Pick Your Poison we decided to warm up on Whompum (figured we'd hit the first two sections that'd dump us at the PYP entrance). Made it a couple hundred yards into the trail before one of the rubi's sheared the eye off a rear shock...after swapping on a spare that Ed had with it we made it to the end of the first section where the same guy managed to break a rear shaft ending his day.

Got on the second section and after waiting for a group of stock Rubi's bump and grind their way up we gave it a go...made it to the lower slab where I managed to flop my TJ on the passenger side...HARD. :doh: It's a bit off camber and likes to throw you off to the right...I felt it going right and steered to correct but it was too little too late. Some creative winching and strapping and we had it back on all four wheels. Surprisingly enough there's _very_ little damage. The top right of the windshield frame has some creative bodywork and the rear corner is a little munched but nothing that'd make you think it was laying on a bunch of rocks...some PSC corners and you'll just think I put the windshield frame into a tree.

After all that excitement we cut back out to the entrance of PYP...Mudjocky gave the harder line a go but was interrupted by a group that decided it was cooler to mix and match whompum and PYP, ending on PYP backwards. We backed out of their way and instead of waiting for them to clear we decided to do the upper slab and new section of whompum.

Just into the climb up Artie managed to snap his skycrapper tierod luckily several of us had spares...after swapping it on the remaining few made the climb up the slab and out.

On the last section we made pretty good progress until Ed managed to put a stump through the sidewall of his MTR...quick work with the airtools and his spare was in place. Everyone made it through the middle fine and it looked like we were in the clear until the last rock garden. The first few made it through with relatively little drama but a green TJ in front of me managed to snap a front shaft after getting hung at an odd angle on his rear diff. I winched him down and off the section where we took him around the bypass...his ARB still worked so he was able to limp it out the rest of the way. After I crawled through Ed gave it a go and made it to the last bit where his frontend let a nice sounding snap. I got turned around and winched him off the last bit...couldn't see anything wrong externally and he indicated on the way out that it "seemed" okay so we'll need to tear open the diff and inspect to see what gave way.

With that we figured that we had enough and decided to pack it in...back to the parking lot to air up and GTFO.

Tally for 4/17:
    1 broken shock
    1 broken rear D44 shaft
    1 flopped TJ
    1 snapped tierod
    1 broken D30 shaft
    1 MTR w/ "vented" sidewall
    1 busted D30 (pending disassembly)

Ugh...

--Ian

• SORRY ABOUT THE DUAL POSTS WE WERE BOTH WRITING AT THE SAME TIME....
    Day 2 we ended up at Paragon. The original plan was to have only a few of us but we ended up with 9 very equipped jeeps....Most were from the Dazed and Confuzed club and Only myself, Artie and Ian from DEJA Jason decided he had enough carnage for the weekend.....So we headed off to whompum where all hell broke loose....We first went up a giant hill which we all did effortlessly....we then entered Whompum, where about 100 yards in. a rubi broke his bilstine shock in half.....After i came to the rescue with a replacement shock we continued about 25 feet further where the same rubi snapped his rear axle shaft....So he dropped out and we continued......We got to a slab that was quite large, extremely verticle and slightly off camber and had an easier route next to it.....Muddjocky went first and made it up with a very bouncy display, Artie attempted it and decided to go around some others also went around....I then decied to give it a whirl and made it up almost effortlessly. Ian, not to be outdone and afraid of the persecution that would ensue if he didnt make it, gave the slab a try. However Ian got extremely sideways and rolled about 7 feet down onto his side. Other than being bruised up along with his ego....Ian and his jeep were ok....His jeep suffered only minor damage considering how hard he floped down. It took his own winch, Elffs winch and a tow strap hooked to a certain black 2000 sahara (again) to get Ians jeep back on its feet. They then pulled the spark plugs to check for Oil in the cylinders. The rig started right up and we continued on....Our plan was to go to "Pick your poison" but we realized that some dumbasses were comming up the trail the wrong way. We then decided to try the new part of Whompum which Ian, Artie and I have done before. To make a long story short, I might have broken a front axle shaft, and I punched a hole in the sidewall of my last sipped tire, Artie broke his skycrapper tie rod in half and another guy busted a front axle.....In all, everyone made it out under thier own power and after a hell of a day we all headed home. Oh yeah did i mention a black 2000 sahara towed a large sand colored sahara with long arms and 36's not once but twice this weekend? Thats right twice.... :suspicious:

• Quote from "2000sahara"

Oh yeah did i mention a black 2000 sahara towed a large sand colored sahara with long arms and 36's not once but twice this weekend? Thats right twice.... :suspicious:

Whoa there buddy, let's not get too full of yourself...just remember who winched you off after your front axle let go... :hmm: :folded:

--Ian

• Quote from "clendaniel"

Got on the second section and after waiting for a group of stock Rubi's bump and grind their way up we gave it a go...made it to the lower slab where I managed to flop my TJ on the passenger side...HARD. :doh: It's a bit off camber and likes to throw you off to the right...I felt it going right and steered to correct but it was too little too late. Some creative winching and strapping and we had it back on all four wheels. Surprisingly enough there's _very_ little damage. The top right of the windshield frame has some creative bodywork and the rear corner is a little munched but nothing that'd make you think it was laying on a bunch of rocks...some PSC corners and you'll just think I put the windshield frame into a tree.

--Ian

:useless:

-Chris

• Thanks for the trail reports! It sounds like I was the only one off the trails this weekend without any damage! What a strange turn of events :laughing: .

I'm not sure what happened with the Sunday lineup. Aaron, Don, and I were already planning to ride with Buckley and Elff, not really sure how we ended up left out. But it worked out well, the three of us made good time (when not re-attaching the driveshaft) without you! :jester:

See you on the trails next time!

:rollsmile: :rollsmile: :rollsmile:

• that spot is notorious for flopping jeeps from what I here anyway.... are you glad you got it out of the way ian?

• Its always a good sign when your running down the hill too see if he is ok and the first thing you hear is HuhHuh HuhHuh......and where the hell are my shoes? :updown:

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!