SOS.....lifeline needed!

• I bypassed my heater core and drove my TJ to work today. Totally unrelated to the heater core issue, the Jeep died on me while I was at lunch. It is now locked and parked at the Rommel Ace Hardware in west Dover. I got a ride from a stranger back to my office. I have a newish battery and alternator. I am guessing it's the starter or relay.... I get a pronounced "click" when I turn the key, but even when connected with cables to a big battery on an F-250 it would not even begin to turn over.
    Assuming I can get a ride home to Magnolia, can a starter easily be changed in a parking lot in darkness? Do I even want to consider towing it? Cell: 302-270-4884.....I will too busy calling parts stores and trying to figure this out to spend time on the internet.

When engaged in conversation with a fool, be sure he is not similarly engaged.
    Chief, DEJA Grammar Police

• Maybe the cables didn't have a good connection. You want to double check that in case all you need is a battery. But, if you need a starter, then it is easy to do underneath the jeep (donno if the shop owner would want you to do it in their parking lot).

• Battery cables seem good. I'm pretty good about keeping the terminals clean and corrosion-free. However, I have no idea about the cable to the starter. Am awaiting a ride home, then it looks like I'll jump in the Civic and head to a parts store for a starter....though am still uncertain that is the issue. This just couldn't happen when it's 80 degrees and sunny.....

• It's not the starter relay. That is what was clicking. Either your battery lost a cell and died or your starter needs replaced. Take a mallet and whack the side of the starter a few times (good firm hit). A lot of times that will free up the bendix gear on the starter so it can get kicked out to the fly wheel.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• I was speaking more to the connection the cables have on the battery posts, if it's too little or it's not tight it won't jump it.

If you have a manual and a working battery, you could kick start it. key on, second gear, push it so its rolling and dump the clutch.

• Check the ground strap on the engine. Should be tightly secured. I had the same thing and the strap from the head tothe firewall was loose.

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• Epilogue (I hope).... I have officially changed my first starter. The TJ fired right up.

First off, thanks to all of you who responded so quickly to my SOS. Not to get all mushy, but I continue to be in awe of the collective smarts in this club. You guys are great!

I installed a NAPA starter and will get my core fee back tomorrow. Got a NAPA one because I'm friends with the store manager and he was helpful on the phone when I was in panic mode. I added just a dab of red Loctite to the bolts. There was some sort of residue on the threads when I removed them, and I made an assumption it was Loctite from the previous install. Hope I'm right about that. I took the opportunity to clean up the battery terminal connection, although they were already pretty clean.

I have now messed with my lower control arms, heater hoses and starter within a few days. The TJ has no heat. Jeeps are cool (he says with the slightest hint of sarcasm)!

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!