Silver colored gear oil after inner axle seal replacement

• Good call on the front driveshaft. It's fairly new to have worn out joints already, but I guess stranger things have happened. I don't think the gears are breaking in? They've been installed for a few years now.

Thanks for tips on what to look for. I'll pull it all apart when it gets warmer out and let you guys know what I find. :spinrhead:

You do own a hairdryer don&#039;t you she asked? Of course I do, he replied, it&#039;s in the driveway, it&#039;s called a Jeep.<br /><br />Current - 97 TJ, 99 WJ, 12 Scion tC<br />Past - 94 ZJ, 02 TJ, 06 Rubicon, 06 XK, 07 Scion tC

• Sorry, I misread your post....thought they were fresh 4.88s.

Keith C, Thank You for your two cents.....Your knowledge overwhelms me. ::)

2000 Sahara, All custom...
    2000 Cherokee Police package, Beater....

I may be slowest and the stupidest

• Alright, it's beautiful out today so I went ahead and opened it up. Keep in mind this oil is new within the last 300 miles now. Everything looks fine (can't see the carrier bearings obviously and didn't want to take the caps off). There were only a few metal shavings that were bigger than tiny specks.

You do own a hairdryer don&#039;t you she asked? Of course I do, he replied, it&#039;s in the driveway, it&#039;s called a Jeep.<br /><br />Current - 97 TJ, 99 WJ, 12 Scion tC<br />Past - 94 ZJ, 02 TJ, 06 Rubicon, 06 XK, 07 Scion tC

• Thanks Keith! Yeah, the H's matched what was on the caps.

So those gears are wearing weird? I'm assuming in order to fix that the gears will have to be set up again?

Is this thing safe to drive, or should I park it until I have $$$ to have it set up again? I know that's a hard call to make - but would you drive it or leave it be?

• Thanks Keith! Yeah, the H's matched what was on the caps.

So those gears are wearing weird? I'm assuming in order to fix that the gears will have to be set up again?

Is this thing safe to drive, or should I park it until I have $$$ to have it set up again? I know that's a hard call to make - but would you drive it or leave it be?

You need to look at them closer.

There really is no setup on the side and spider gears.

I think they have some thrust washers behind them but can't remember for sure.

Hopefully Aaron will chime in, he's seen far more than me; but it looks strange to me.

• I agree that it looks strange. I just didn't notice it until you pointed it out. I'm going to button it all back up for now. I'm just not sure if I should drive it or park it. I looked at some other spider gear failures/strange wear, but they were all way past the point that mine are at.

• BTW, you are a true Jeep Chick. ;D

:laughabove:

:wavey:

• And Klarissa if you end up needing the side and spider gears I have a set I'll let go for $10 checking.

Thanks Keith! I'll probably take you up on that offer. I'll let you know. :)

• Might be time to think about a lockrite?

Nah. ;D

• Just a quick update. I drove the Jeep to Atlantic City this week which is about 100 miles round trip. I did back roads there and expressway (70-75mph) all the way home. Today I checked the diff fluid. It's still gold and looks perfectly fine. :spinrhead: I'll be keeping an eye on it over the next few miles.

• Looks like a lot of material but the gears still look pretty good. I suspect you are loosing a bearing but if you dont have any noise then its hard to isolate the issue. It can becoming from the wheel bearings too. It may also be material from the previous gears that want cleaned out. Really hard to determine over the web. Btw the side gears and spiders should have trust washers under all of them.

• Looks like a lot of material but the gears still look pretty good. I suspect you are loosing a bearing but if you dont have any noise then its hard to isolate the issue. It can becoming from the wheel bearings too. It may also be material from the previous gears that want cleaned out. Really hard to determine over the web. Btw the side gears and spiders should have trust washers under all of them.

Thanks Aaron. I'll be keeping a close eye on it. It seems to be fine for the time being.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!