xj door removal

• I have been browsing around all day at different write ups and youtube videos. I looked in here under the search but didn't see too much before my eyes started to hurt from skimming through (I'm in major need of glasses). Has anyone on here done this mod? From what I'm gathering the most difficult parts are remixing the torx bolts without stripping, and lining the door back up right.
    Just wondering if anyone has any experience with it? I'd really like to try it out.

• I believe Altierior did that. I've also seen some Cherokees with modified doors (½ doors with an extra wide window opening. That looked pretty cool.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Remove to repair something, or a doorless mod? If you want to remove (unbolt) them, you'll need a friend to hold the door so you can align the bolts. Then deal with adjusting them to line up the latch mechanism. And if you have power, finding the door harness and unplugging it (usually behind the kick panel).

For the doorless mod... Depending on the hinge (two different versions, forget the year break) you need to remove the detent/limiter bar (holes it open and prevents it from opening too far), then cut part of the hinge bolt so it can be lifted out. The hinge bolt has a bushing, I believe which will also need to be removed. And that's where it becomes a little annoying... you'll have to make some sort of catch strap so the door doesn't swing all the way out and smack the fender. And because you messed with the hinge bolt/bushing it won't line up like it used to. It'll still open and close, but you'll feel the latch mechanism hit and force themselves into alignment when you close it.

The old DEJA XJ that's gone around the club a few times has removable front doors (not sure if the back have been modded yet).

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• Was talking about the mod whatevah. I did read they will still open and close, just not as smooth. I'm sure over time this will wear on the latch and striker but oh well I got it cheap. I'm gonna do the mod when in a couple months when it's warmer. I'll let you guys know how it works out

• I did it on my old xj. I just used a cut off wheel on a Dremel to cut the bottom part of the hinge. Keep the pins pressed in on the top part of the hinge and the doors can just be lifted off. It's not too hard

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!