Possible YJ Gas Tank Issues

• Bear with me while I get to the point :peace:

On Sunday, I fillled the YJ up with gas in Dover and headed to the beach. As I was witing to cross Rt.1 on Rt.9, the guy next to me says, "you got a pretty good gas leak...when you stopped and the jeep rocked, I saw gas spill". So I pull off into the parking lot and check the cap..on and tight. I do smell gas (and have before) near the passenger side back tire. I still see no "wet" spots or dripping. I rock the sucker good and nothing :shrug: Headed onto the beach and eventually back to Dover. Kept checking it at numerous times. Still had 1/2 tank (about 130 miles traveled) so I don't think I am loosing a bunch if any. Last night I filled up again and headed to the beach...I did smell gas but I did also have the back window rolled up and front half tops off (with the back side window still in, so with air flow that is understandable.

I want to pull the skid to see if I notice anything but.... :shrug: Any ideas??

1990 YJ, 4" Rough Country Lift, 33x12.5 BFG MT, Some Custom Rattle Can Paint

• If you can narrow the smell down to when you fill up, I'd replace the filler and vent hoses (cheap and easy to fix). Check to see if the filler hose is just cracked, there might be enough slack that you can cut the split out and put a new clamp on it, but if it is split, I'd replace it. Up under the passenger side rear corner is a vent of some sort (I know it is there, but don't know what it does). I broke mine off at Paragon, and leaked gas for a few days, ruining my driveway. Push out the cardboard inner panel and you'll see if it is damaged. That vent(?) would explain the smell on the rear passenger side, the filler/vent hoses are obviously on the driver's side. It could also be a leak at the pump head on top of the tank. When mine leaked, it leaked into the skid, and only ran out on bumps and inclines...like my driveway.

When Tom Webster replaced my gas tank, he said it was rusted/perforated along a horizontal line where it had rubbed against the skid. No big holes, just a line of small ones. A gas tank will set you back about $100, the hoses about $20. If your sending unit and skid are in good shape, it is about a two hour job.

• When you had a full tank and came to a stop, the gas sloshed forward. It's probably coming out of the sending unit hole on top of the tank. Perhaps the gasket needs replaced. OR, your vent line on top of the tank may have disconnected from the hose that runs up to the carbon canister.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• If you find out you need a tank I have a poly 20 gal one for $20. Chances are John is right about the gasket being cracked or one of the vent hoses has slipped off.

• my 93yj had a safety recall for that gasket on the top of the tank where the sending unit sealed to the tank. check it out. the name of the site i cant remember but if you havent had this done the dealer will do it at no cost!

• Thanks for all the comments! Have not had a chance to look at it since it is sitting at the beach. After I check things out, I may get back to you astape about the tank. mr93wrangler - I called the jeep dealer...no such recall for the 90 but did have a couple other recall items that were "still open"....All in all worth the call to getthoes taken place. Thanks again!!! :up:

• Dropping the tank is farely easy. All the bolts are in plain sight underneath. Just make sure it's empty. The sending unit will probably be a knock off ring. You'll just take a big screw driver, put in the little groove and tap in with a hammer counter clockwise. Once it is loose it will probably spin freely.

When you drop the tank look for a spill pattern. It will probably show up as a clean area on the tank. That will more than likely tell you where the leak is from.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• ...and it helps to support the tank with a jack, lowering it gently. If you don't have a floor jack, I do, come by some evening we'll drop it.

• ...and since you have already done your shackle lift, we can do that also... :hmm: mine will be here tomorrow :up:

• Sure, we'll give it a go. Quadna had a long steel pry bar (about 6')that helped greatly, do you have anything like that you can bring? Even steel pipe?

Tonight is my last class this block, so I have a couple of weeks off from class work.

• If you are going to knock that ring off the top of the tank try to use a wood block or a brass punch.

If you use a metal screwdriver on the metal ring you run the risk of sparks. And sparks around a tank that is leaking is not good.

Also check the metal lines that come out of the top of the sender. The welds on mine broke and left a hole which was where mine was leaking from.

Chris

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!