• 'Tis the season!

I picked up a new grill a few weeks ago (barely fit in the back of the JK, even with the rear seat removed!) and have been using it almost every day since (there ARE benefits to being single). I've been meaning to get a new grill since Trey's post last year. I ended up with an infrared grill from Char-Broil since they seem to be the easiest gas grills to use, even if not the highest build quality.

So far, I've been sticking to just steak, chicken breasts and burgers but hope to expand my menu soon. I've burnt the edges a couple times on the steaks (still figuring out where the hottest spots are) but they've been the juiciest and tastiest steaks I've ever had. Ok, I know the "I made that" bias comes in to play, but they're awesome. Just regular steaks from Acme with salt, pepper and a little extra virgin olive oil... And the chicken breasts, so juicy and yummy (aside from the burnt edge). Just using a poultry seasoning I got from Acme, but it tastes great. The biggest thing for me is that the meats aren't dried out, even with an internal temp of 180 on the chicken (oops), it was still juicy. I guess that's because of the high heat, whenever I cooked on the regular gas grill, it was rarely moist. I'm using mesquite wood chips currently, but don't know if that helps or not. Smells great when cooking though.

Anybody have recipes or tips to share?

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• Salmon on a cedar plank rocks.
    Tip
    Get some crisco for oiling your preheated slats, especially if they are cast.

Grill marks rule.

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• i do my corn in the husk....soak them in water for a little then grill. they steam themselves, and the smoke from the outer layers add flavor

• Grill marks rule.

Indeed they do. A little 13oz sirloin here, came out a perfect medium.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

• Soak corn in the husk in milk and it helps with the sweetness.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• I used to be all about good grill marks on my steaks and cooked them to a nice medium temp with only flipping the steak once. So if it was a 3/4" steak I would cook it 7 minutes on one side, flip and cook 4 minutes on the other. They always came out perfectly cooked with pretty grill marks but I now cook my steaks by flipping them every 30sec-1min so it cooks the meat more even and it doesnt allow to top layer of the steak to dry out any from the longer exposer to direct heat. I stick to the same overall cook time of 11 minutes (depending on thickness) but the meat comest out a nice brownish with a nice overall sear.

Checkout this site. I've been trying a lot of the techniques and recipes and have been very happy. They also review a lot of items. Now I want to go home and cook a steak or smoke somthing...thanks Jerry!
    http://amazingribs.com/

• Soak corn in the husk in milk and it helps with the sweetness.

Grilling corn is cool and easy for cooking a few at a time and when I do it I'm lazy and just throw it on the grill and husk it when its done. Or sometimes when I'm feeling froggy I'll take the hair out and roll the husk back then tie it off with single piece of husk.
    But if you want some awesome corn on the cob that is sweet and you dont want to waste a gallon milk. Husk your corn and just boil it in water but add sugar to the pot. It will make not so sweet corn enjoyable and already sweet corn delicous.

• I haven't done many steaks on the grill since I bought a cast iron several years ago. You can yell at me but it's a far better steak. The Alton Brown method (not that he invented it, but that's what it's generally called) is the way to go. With a good steak from a butcher I'll take the Pepsi challenge against Morton's, etc any day.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/rec…eared-rib-eye-recipe.html

• I haven't done many steaks on the grill since I bought a cast iron several years ago. You can yell at me but it's a far better steak. The Alton Brown method (not that he invented it, but that's what it's generally called) is the way to go. With a good steak from a butcher I'll take the Pepsi challenge against Morton's, etc any day.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/rec…eared-rib-eye-recipe.html

I agree, nothing wrong with a pan seared steak in a cast iron anything. Excellent flavor! But I'm kind of getting a smell in the air of a DeJa steak cook off....

• I agree, nothing wrong with a pan seared steak in a cast iron anything. Excellent flavor! But I'm kind of getting a smell in the air of a DeJa steak cook off....

Not a bad idea, "Gentlemen start your Grills!!!"

FYI, I'll put my Weber against your Charbroil any day...

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

• I grill on a propane weber but it's hard to beat a charcoal grill flavor. Unless your a communist of course. So those are some bold words Steve.

• I grill on a propane weber but it's hard to beat a charcoal grill flavor. Unless your a communist of course. So those are some bold words Steve.

How so? Jerry has an infrared char-broil...aka propane. I'd agree w/ Steve, I'll take my Weber any day. They're the only ones that have lasted me more than a couple years. Keep in mind we tend to grill year round and as such the grill lives outside on the patio and is uncovered 99% of the time.

Let's not get into propane vs charcoal, you might start a war!

--Ian

• Like I said, I also have a propane weber grill and It's going on its 6th year. I grill year round and its easy to use and all the food comes out tasting great. Samething with my smoker, I user a propane cabinet and smoke wood chunks in a small cast iron pan over the flame. But I personally think cooking over charcoal gives food like beef and pork a nice flavor.

• X10 on a Weber. I also grill year round and grill lives outside. In the 20 yrs I've been married, I just bought my second one two seasons ago. You can't go wrong with a Weber.

Former V.P. (2006-2007)
    V.P. of Jeeps for Joy (2004-2010)
    President of Jeeps for Joy (2010-2012)
    Beater Build Winning Driver (2009)

• Bought my Weber 7 years ago, people still ask if its new. I do keep it covered. Seems like a lot to spend, but I have never heard of anyone regretting buying one.

• Was hoping for recipe ideas or tips, not brand choices. :p

Jerry / Whatevah

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!